Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 AM

4 posts, read 16,633 times

Advertisements

Plan to move to one of these 55+ communities in Charleston are. Anyone have feedback on these places??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Cane bay is all an all new developement with nice ammenities but is quite a distance out off of hwy 176...

The Elms is also new, I think, but is much closer to N. Charleston....

Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 AM

4 posts, read 16,633 times
Thanx, do you know anyone that lives there?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:36 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
Not in the 55+ section, but there are a few people here that live in Cane Bay...

Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
I have friends in Del Webb the 55+ section. They were somewhat early in.
Yes, they have a few regrets but for the money, they enjoy their space. They had feared a continual rise in the HOA fees, but with sales picking up, they believe that it will not be extreme.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:49 PM

246 posts, read 518,557 times
I live in the Pines at Gahagan an over 55 community and it is in the heart of Summerville. We can walk to Azelea Park and the Sawmill Branch hiking biking trail. Homes are similar to Del Webb, with lawn care, pressure washing, cable, and termite bond included in the monthly fee...which is about $30 less than Del Webb.

Del Webb is a great place and I know many people who are very happy living there. It just wasn't the right fit for us, we wanted a smaller subdivision and wanted to be closer to town.

This community will have just over 100 homes at build out, presently I believe there are 18 homes purchased and several under construction. We've been here a year and love it...

Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 AM

120 posts, read 236,720 times
We moved to the Del Webb community about 7 months ago and really like it here. If you run a "search" on this forum you'll find a couple of lengthy threads about "Del Webb" going back several years. There are a number of organized groups, and there's always something going on if you enjoy that sort of thing -- I do. We're pleased with our house and our neighbors and particularly enjoy having someone else do the yard work.

Most of the people I've talked to are happy they moved here, but it's not for everybody. If you don't like HOA rules stay away. Having had negative experiences living in areas with no rules I'm grateful for them so far. As others have said it's a little far from everything, but that is likely to change soon with all the development planned and already underway at Cane Bay and Carnes Crossing.

I'm not that familiar with the other developments you mentioned so won't comment on them.

Don

Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Many neighberhoods in this area are controlled by Home Owners Association (HOA) Covenants. During build out the builder/developer will control the HOA, usually turning the HOA over to the owners once most (in some cases all) the homes are sold.

The homeowners then have an election to elect the HOA, Board Of Directors (BOD) who will administer the covenants, do budgets, keep the books, etc. Most will hire a Property Management Company to do the "leg" work.

My experience says a tightly run HOA will add to the neighberhood values while a poorly run, weak HOA can harm values.

That said, some people have issues with HOA's especially those that did not read (or maybe not bright enough to understand) the covenants before they bought.

Nothing like a parade of vets hanging around your front yard "aiding" you because the HOA asked you to take down the flag pole in your front yard which the covenants (that you signed and agreed to) specifically say you can not erect. Talk about a lose/lose situation.

Also in an age restricted situation there will more then likely be rules about the "ages" of those that can live there. Like no one under 18 for longer then say 20 days.

Read and understand before you venture in.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Default The Elms of North Charleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlg3344 View Post
Plan to move to one of these 55+ communities in Charleston are. Anyone have feedback on these places??
Does anyone know what the homeowners fees are at The Elms of Charleston?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:50 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Does anyone know what the homeowners fees are at The Elms of Charleston?
Hold on let me check, I know who manages that HOA... Let me make a call.

They also have their own website if you haven't seen it: http://www.theelmsofcharleston.org/index.html

I got a voice mail, but they don't have an HOA, they have a regime fee and the last time I checked it was $190 per month.

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 04-29-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area