Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I think in many older cities (say those established before 1850), in the days of few having money, immigrants arriving by the boat loads (like my family), few educated, segregation, etc. there were those families (manily WASP's) "in control". There might even be some remnants of those "older families" (mainly in name only) but they are dying rapidly. Dying so fast I would say they do not even exist anymore except in a few of their own minds.
What??

These families are not dying out, they just don't run in the same circles you do. I can assure you they are alive, well, and thriving. The Ravenels, Heywards, Calhouns, Canteys, Seibels, etc.

To the OP, to me the bottom line is the ocean. I simply could not live far away from it.

However, if I had to, either Phoenix or Palm Springs would be the two areas I could live away from the ocean in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,963 times
if they were 100% equal in your mind, and in job/pay etc..i would pick the place that uses EST.

sounds weird i guess, but i lived very short time in phoenix and a little longer in seattle and that nagged at me nonstop. i guess if your born there you don't notice or care, or its even better for some people but i hated it. especially as a huge football fan, 9am is too early to watch big games! the 'primetime' games, starting before dinner..just bugged me.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
I don't think you'll find a town anywhere in the country that's older than the Civil War that doesn't have its crusty old "founding families". I've lived in a number of old towns (founded in the 1830s or earlier) in Illinois, Iowa, Connecticut, Virginia, and North Carolina. Each of them had their core of old families, some of whom were highly visible in city government, some of whom influenced local politics behind the scenes. My experience is, as long as these "founding families" are not doing something political that directly affects us, they're pretty much irrelevant to most of our lives. They look down on everyone ... including all the nouveau riche who have moved into their towns ... but who cares? You're probably not going to be running into them at your local Walmart, anyway.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
What??

These families are not dying out, they just don't run in the same circles you do. I can assure you they are alive, well, and thriving. The Ravenels, Heywards, Calhouns, Canteys, Seibels, etc.

To the OP, to me the bottom line is the ocean. I simply could not live far away from it.

However, if I had to, either Phoenix or Palm Springs would be the two areas I could live away from the ocean in.
Ravenels might be alive but that is about it. Ravenel Jr. (Cousin Arthur) is a known racist that did more harm then good, especially to the Charleston School Board. His son was convicted of being a dope dealer.

Give me a break.

I would consider it a disgrace to run in those "circles".

Well and thriving? I do not think so.

Good f*cking riddance to them.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:46 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Ravenels might be alive but that is about it. Ravenel Jr. (Cousin Arthur) is a known racist that did more harm then good, especially to the Charleston School Board. His son was convicted of being a dope dealer.

Give me a break.

I would consider it a disgrace to run in those "circles".

Well and thriving? I do not think so.

Good f*cking riddance to them.
There are bad seeds in every family. Where would our towns be without all the money these families that you seem to hate that have donated hundreds of millions to our universities, schools, hospititals and have kept funds in our communities.

Your hatred is scary. Good luck with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area