Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM

315 posts, read 623,781 times

Advertisements

And let me add, there is a reason why **** in Mt P is so expensive: Demand. There is a lot to like, and lots of people would rather live in Mt P than N Char or West Char. So just wanted to say that, Mt P is a great place to live/work.

However, half for fun but half for reality, no one can say Mt P doesn't offer some comedy when "people watching" around here.

- The Tour De France wannabes riding bicycles in those stupid skin tight racing jerseys on the busiest roads in Charleston US 17/Coleman, in the traffic, holding everyone up like they're in some big race.

- Some of the "men" around Mt P who, if you watch, seem to have made every attempt to erase any signs of masculinity from their body/life as possible.

- Some epic examples of plastic surgery gone wrong

- Going to a grocery store at 11am, and seeing some of the 35-50 year old women grocery shopping but dressed as if they are going to a fancy NYC restaurant or show (and they have 2 weeks worth of stuff in the cart, so you know it's not "just to pick up an item" )

- And yes, if you look like you "dont belong" you'll get the long, unashamed piercing stare and just be watched as you move about.

PS*** "Dont belong" means you have one or more of the following: Non-white skin, a used car worth less than 10K, dress in clothes bought at Wal Mart, look like you work a construction job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM

435 posts, read 835,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
PS*** "Dont belong" means you have one or more of the following: Non-white skin, a used car worth less than 10K, dress in clothes bought at Wal Mart, look like you work a construction job
I drive a 10 year old car worth less than 10k (probably less than 5) and non-white skin. My neighbor is retired, drive an old car, and volunteer for habitat for humanity (i.e. construction). I don't get any evil look, and my neighbor is the most popular guy in the neighborhood. Do you even live in Mt. Pleasant? Fair enough though, my neighborhood do rhyme with "idiot."

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
And let me add, there is a reason why **** in Mt P is so expensive: Demand. There is a lot to like, and lots of people would rather live in Mt P than N Char or West Char. So just wanted to say that, Mt P is a great place to live/work.

However, half for fun but half for reality, no one can say Mt P doesn't offer some comedy when "people watching" around here.

- The Tour De France wannabes riding bicycles in those stupid skin tight racing jerseys on the busiest roads in Charleston US 17/Coleman, in the traffic, holding everyone up like they're in some big race.

- Some of the "men" around Mt P who, if you watch, seem to have made every attempt to erase any signs of masculinity from their body/life as possible.

- Some epic examples of plastic surgery gone wrong

- Going to a grocery store at 11am, and seeing some of the 35-50 year old women grocery shopping but dressed as if they are going to a fancy NYC restaurant or show (and they have 2 weeks worth of stuff in the cart, so you know it's not "just to pick up an item" )

- And yes, if you look like you "dont belong" you'll get the long, unashamed piercing stare and just be watched as you move about.

You could take the fine examples you give here and add in the name of any town in this area. You chose to do it about the town in which you live. I don't know why.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
I drive a 10 year old car worth less than 10k (probably less than 5) and non-white skin. My neighbor is retired, drive an old car, and volunteer for habitat for humanity (i.e. construction). I don't get any evil look, and my neighbor is the most popular guy in the neighborhood. Do you even live in Mt. Pleasant? Fair enough though, my neighborhood do rhyme with "idiot."
I'm adding to Jimmy's reputation with this post. It's simply a matter of common sense.

I'll also add that we have two (2) 10 year old vehicles. One of those vehicles currently is missing a front turn signal, the driver's mirror is busted, and one of the windows has to be held up with a bunch of paper stuffed into the seal. LOL

One of us is also non-white, and yes...we still "belong".

'Ol seabass has had one screwed up experience in this area. He's clearly unhappy...although he tried to not make it seem that way by saying how great the area is (just before smearing it across the bottom of his shoes).

It's ok. We all have differing perceptions.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
I don't see the same MP at all. I don't know -- there must be a secret society here in MP that most of us here are missing!!!

I travel Hwy. 17 from Six Mile road to Wando HS at least three times a week -- probably more like 5....and I have NEVER seen a bike rider on Hwu.17. I do see them on Rifle Range which I think is a suicide wish. My husband is a bike rider. He rides 35 miles at a time and wearing the garb makes it much easier and more comfortable...it's like wearing the proper running shoes if you run great distances on a regular basis. We resent the bikers that block traffic as much as anybody. Like anything else -- not all bike riders are ignorant.....

When I go to the grocery store I see women in tennis garb, workout garb, jeans, tourists in casual clothings, retirees who make the shopping an outting...NEVER have seen any women all dolled up.

There may be a level of folks who have had plastic surgery but most families in Mt. Pleasant don't have it......

I don't know -- If I believed everything I read here I would never have moved -- lucky for me, I know different.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 PM

119 posts, read 301,635 times
Wow!
Ok, this has gone WAY off in a direction that I never intended.
For those of you who found my original post request offensive I apologize.
For those of you who warned that it might be an inflammatory request... well, I guess you are right, and for that I also apologize.

Let's just end this here folks.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Can't rep you moneill...too many times already. I tried.

I quite regularly see bike riders crossing the James Island Connector. That's about the only place I do see them...except for that one A-hole downtown that yelled at me like an idiot (he had the right of way, was coming as he should have, and I waved him on so that he wouldn't think I was gonna turn in front of him. He yelled at me to inform me he had the right of way...well yeah, that's why I was being nice to him to begin with. LOL)

I don't know if I've ever seen anyone all dolled up at the grocery...any grocery. I really don't know if I care enough to go out and try to spot one. LOL Does stupid stuff like that actually bother people? LOL

Plastic surgery? Again, who cares. It ain't my body or my money.

I'm a country boy who grew up between rows of tobacco & cotton. If anyone should not fit in, it would be me. I think I do fine.

Like I said...everyone has differing perceptions.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,299,244 times
You all dug a little deeper in responding to this one I noticed. I've gotten to see a little more of each member's real self. Nice to read most responses. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,338,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
You all dug a little deeper in responding to this one I noticed. I've gotten to see a little more of each member's real self. Nice to read most responses. Thanks.
That would be why I mostly abstained from this conversation......

Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
I've lived here for years and seen most of these subdivisions that are being talked about actually be built. I honestly cannot tell you the personalities of each one. About the only thing I've noticed is that most of the native Mt Pleasant citizens live in the Old Village and even that is, at most, a generality. Pretty much all of the neighborhoods talked about are nice places to live with nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area