Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM

73,075 posts, read 62,706,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
So you want all of us to give up our vehicles and ride bicycles?

What the hell are you smoking this early in the morning?

I have an 85 mile round trip commute every day and you want me to ride a bicycle?

Meks, this is the type of LIBERAL I was referring to.......
No one every said YOU had to ride a bicycle. However, some of us do ride bicycles and would like to do so safely. Therefore, what cyclists like me are looking for is the infrastructure to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,037,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No one every said YOU had to ride a bicycle. However, some of us do ride bicycles and would like to do so safely. Therefore, what cyclists like me are looking for is the infrastructure to do so.
Get back to us when you are working and paying taxes. Tends to change viewpoints.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 AM

73,075 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Get back to us when you are working and paying taxes. Tends to change viewpoints.
I do work, and go to school, and I have an internship. I'm still willing to pay the taxes for it.

The fact is, I don't like long commutes and will do anything to avoid them. I already have enough stress just with the stuff I do. I don't need to add road rage to that.

My viewpoint will not change, no matter what. I am more than happy to pay taxes if it means bicycle infrastructure gets put in. In fact, when I graduate from college, which should be in a few months, I will probably have a better job than what I have now. With higher pay, I will probably be at a higher capacity to pay more taxes, therefore, even more willing. I look at taxes like this: You take the good with the bad. I don't particularly care for taxes, but as long as it goes to good things(including the bicycle trails), I'm happy.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 AM

487 posts, read 998,106 times
Why the negative attitude about the environment benefits of riding bikes? Just curious.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM

109 posts, read 167,805 times
Why don't we just walk in traffic? That would be even greener than riding bikes in traffic as no resources would be consumed in the manufacturing of bicycles.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM

487 posts, read 998,106 times
I'm not for or against the bike thing, I understand why people are against it. I just don't understand why the environmental benefit of something would be looked at in a negative way, as if it's a bad thing.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,579,821 times
This thread is fairly entertaining. I don't think some realize how UNobstructive cyclists are in a flat environment like Charleston. They're able to maintain good speeds, AND with the number of straight roads in Charleston, you really have great visibility to pass them. Horse and carriage tours are frustrating. Cyclists are not.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM

315 posts, read 623,995 times
I will have NO SYMPATHY for cyclists. Ever. I believe they should FOLLOW THE LAW.....which says cyclist must obey EVERY law required of a driver on SC highways. And guess what moron bikers? CARRYING INSURANCE on the vehicle you operate is a law. And NONE of you have insurance on your shi**y bicycles. If you run a stop sign and hit me, who pays? If you run a red light, and I swerve to miss your spandex-cover-ass, and I hit a car, will YOU pay? No, of course not. You're too good to carry pesky insurance.

When you bikers start buying insurance for your actions on bikes, maybe I'll consider your point. But even then you should be mandated to secondary roads only, NEVER on major ones.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,656,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I do work, and go to school, and I have an internship. I'm still willing to pay the taxes for it.

The fact is, I don't like long commutes and will do anything to avoid them. I already have enough stress just with the stuff I do. I don't need to add road rage to that.

My viewpoint will not change, no matter what. I am more than happy to pay taxes if it means bicycle infrastructure gets put in. In fact, when I graduate from college, which should be in a few months, I will probably have a better job than what I have now. With higher pay, I will probably be at a higher capacity to pay more taxes, therefore, even more willing. I look at taxes like this: You take the good with the bad. I don't particularly care for taxes, but as long as it goes to good things(including the bicycle trails), I'm happy.
We don't get road rage, until we are in rush hour stuck behind Lance Armstrong going 15 mph in a 45-55 zone on a major road.

Its your opinion that bicycle trails are good, to me its me paying to support someone's hobby. Which I still agree with isn't bad, like on projects like sawmill trail, but not to the level you want it. Represent the majority, but remember the minority(bikers)

Also be careful with the "when I graduate from college I will get a good job" in this recent economy... It hasn't been that way for everyone.

Wait till you own a house, get taxed, buy a car, get taxed, get your paycheck, get taxed, make a smart investment, get taxed, buy something, that has been sold 2-3 times already, get taxed.

Then you drop your kid off at school and see an education program is shut down do to funding, Teachers taking paycuts, Crime is up because police cutse. Park is closed because of funding.

All so Lance Armstrong can go for a leisurely bike ride.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM

315 posts, read 623,995 times
Thats right Mustang. You aRe right on. Cyclists demand the bankrupt tax base to pay for their hobby. But...look at the Ravenel Bridge bike lane. 5 mile round trip. Among the most gorgeous views in the USA. Uphill battle, downhill rest. PERFECT for cyclists. We paid an extra who-knows how many million to add that.

AND....watch it when you pass. You'll see 30-40 pedestrians walking/jogging it daily. How many cyclists???? Hardly ever do I see any. 1 or 2 on a good day.

We built it. They dont use it.

This isn't about them exercising their hobby or getting to work. They have some sick ego or axe to grind against cars and drivers, and they intend to keep "proving our point" by riding on congested roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area