Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,957 times

Advertisements

My boss has asked DH and I to "seriously consider" relocating to Charleston later this year. Relocating to Charleston would involve a job promotion, which is a major plus. We are currently based in Greenville and have moved around quite a bit the last few years (WNC, Florida, Washington, DC). We are happy to be in South Carolina! If we move to Charleston, we would be able to actually stay put for a few years!

My question for everyone is, if we have one weekend in Charleston, what are your top recommendations for sights and experiences to determine if this would be a good fit? DH and I are late 20s - early 30s, no kids, two dogs. We are both active, enjoy the outdoors, love the beach, eating out, concerts and sporting events. We love the downtown area and Swamp Rabbit Trail in Greenville - if Charleston has areas like this, we would definitely want to check them out.

Also for you beach lovers, living in the area how much time do you actually spend at the beach? For you sports lovers (college and pro) how much of a pain point is it being several hours away from the nearest D1 or professional teams? From my research, it sounds like there are quite a few bars in the area where fans gather on game day to root for their respective teams (gotta love City-Data!).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:31 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,597,106 times
Definitely go check out Shem Creek. Red's and Vickery's seem to be good places for your age group to hang out. Also check out Folly Beach. I have never been, but from what I hear it sounds like something you might like. I heard there is some sort of trail in West Ashley. You can also go to Francis Marion, which is a few minutes up the street from Mount Pleasant. I think there are trails there.

We live 5 miles from the beach and go a lot. We go every weekend in the warm weather and quite a few times in the cooler weather. We were just at the beach this past weekend.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,347,207 times
Young and into water sports this is the place to be everything from the beach to great fishing.....

I personally am not a beach person more of a woods person but the wife loves the beach and during the summer she goes atleast once a week with the grandson and her entorage, long list, they all have fun come home and leave the truck for Grandpa to clean out....

We live in Summerville which is not close to the beach so it is a trip when she wants to go, they usually go for the day or until the kids get tired....

I used to live in the Upstate, Spartanburg and Wellford, we are heading that way this weekend, I miss Saskatoons and waterfalls....

Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 AM

859 posts, read 1,364,314 times
If you like trails and the outdoors, and you're in Mt P, take a peek at Palmetto Islands County Park, off Long Point Road. You'll have to pay $1 to get in, but you can drive around pretty much the whole park, and see the different trails and scenery. We love Palmetto Islands! There is also a great county park on James Island.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,943,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Young and into water sports this is the place to be everything from the beach to great fishing.....

I personally am not a beach person more of a woods person but the wife loves the beach and during the summer she goes atleast once a week with the grandson and her entorage, long list, they all have fun come home and leave the truck for Grandpa to clean out....

We live in Summerville which is not close to the beach so it is a trip when she wants to go, they usually go for the day or until the kids get tired....

I used to live in the Upstate, Spartanburg and Wellford, we are heading that way this weekend, I miss Saskatoons and waterfalls....
I had to google that

Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,347,207 times
It is a great place...

Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,957 times
Thanks for the feedback! We will definitely add these places to our list. OleTomCat, believe it or not, we have not been to Saskatoons, but several friends have been and love it.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,507,829 times
I'm a recent transplant from Greenville and think it's a heck of a lot better here. I've only lived in Charleston for 2 months, so I can't offer you too many places to check out, but it's just a completely different atmosphere. One thing you would need to get used to is the higher cost of living if you want to be near the action. But if you love downtown Greenville, Charleston tops it by so much more.

Have you ever visited Charleston? If you haven't, you are in for a treat

Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,966,303 times
Hope the promotion comes with a fat pay raise. Cost of living here is a good bit higher than in Greenville.

When comparing real estate sales prices to Greenville, the median sales price for Charleston is $70k higher and the median sales price for Mount Pleasant is $165k higher.

Summerville is more what you're used to with median sales prices being just under $20k more than Greenville.

Most things are more expensive here...food, insurance, gas is 10-15 cents higher.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:43 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,507,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Hope the promotion comes with a fat pay raise. Cost of living here is a good bit higher than in Greenville.

When comparing real estate sales prices to Greenville, the median sales price for Charleston is $70k higher and the median sales price for Mount Pleasant is $165k higher.

Summerville is more what you're used to with median sales prices being just under $20k more than Greenville.

Most things are more expensive here...food, insurance, gas is 10-15 cents higher.
You really can't beat Greenville for how cheap it is to live there...that's the only thing I miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area