Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 10,683 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends:

I am looking to move to Charleston, SC from Manhattan for work. I am hoping to find a 2 bedroom 2bathroom rental in Downtown Charleston. I am really used to and enjoy the city life- its hustle bustle, cafes. beach area and a more tolerant environment for all.

I am there for few days in first week of March, where I will look for apartments. I have narrowed down my search to around King/broad/French Quarters.

I have tried looking at rentals on line via Craigs list and other rental agencies and not found any fit.

Any suggestions from folks already living there in terms of their experience, contacts or links?

Many Thanks

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,669 times
Mt Pleasant is the place for you! Lots to do there!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 PM

thanks... so downtown is not the best place?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,015 times
I'm not sure why Rick would recommend Mount Pleasant over downtown Charleston, but it sounds to me like Charleston is exactly what you're looking for. It's a lively and vibrant city with lots to do, and lots of young people because of the college there. You didn't mention your budget though and downtown can be pretty pricey if you're looking for a safe neighborhood. How much are you looking to spend?

Mount Pleasant is really just a suburb of Charlston, mostly comprised of families. There is a section right around the creek that has plenty of bars and restaurants and that might be fun for you but I think you would be happier in downtown Charleston. I mentioned that it was costly but certainly not anywhere near what you are probably used to paying in New York anyway.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
And consider us your friends. We're moving in May, but will also make sure you're well off and not alone in Chaz. Cheers to your move!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 PM

Thank You roxanneself: My budget is maximum $3k for 2 bedroom 2 bath.

I am looking at zillows.com Saw some units on Beufain and Concord st.

How is traffic to get to North Charleston, SC in rush hours?

Last edited by Niki46; 02-25-2013 at 10:46 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,018,901 times
From downtown to N. Charleston, you're travelling opposite traffic, so 15-20 minutes, tops. Downtown would fit your needs best, and put you within 15-20 minutes of the beaches as well. Great location, I miss living on the Peninsula. If you want to check rentals on the MLS, you can do that on any agent's website. Just select rentals as the property type. You could also go to the unbranded MLS at www.charlestontrident.com or www.realtor.com and select rentals there as well.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
I'm not sure why Rick would recommend Mount Pleasant over downtown Charleston...

He is so transparent, you have to ask?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki46 View Post
Thank You roxanneself: My budget is maximum $3k for 2 bedroom 2 bath.
Is your income transportable (meaning is it coming with you) or will you be able to find employment here to support that rent level?

You may have all your bases covered...but just in case, you need to realize that Charleston income will be exponentially different that Manhattan income.

Again, you have probably already researched this or may not have an income issue to begin with.

Best of luck.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Thank You all so very much for your time and suggestions.

I have made 4 appointments to see apartments in Downtown SC. I do have to share that in Downtown area, while you get the space..prices are not cheap.

Best

Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area