Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:22 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lace323 View Post
Here is something different, for those that moved to the Charleston area, how did you move? Not why, but how?

I know many move long distances to get there, and we are going to in July.

Did you use one of the container companies you fill up and they transport? Or did you use a semi company like ABF? Or did you go the old fashioned way and drive a truck yourself from a rental company?

Whats best when moving long distance?

We will be going Colorado to Mt Pleasant.

Thanks!
I used ABF and hired movers to load and unload at both ends and moved from RI to here. If I had to do it over, I would have gotten rid of more of my stuff. I moved from RI to here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Oh, yes, emily ... you are so right. I had read "get rid of more stuff" from many savvy movers who advised me ... but I didn't listen ... regrets! So, People, do weed out as much as you can. I know it's not easy to part with what you like & defines you (you think).
We were downsizing from 3,000+sq. feet to 2,100 expensive Charleston sq. feet & paid to move emotional tangible goods ... that later went to St. Vincent de Paul Household Furnitiure (ECCO). Hey, we could have saved a lot of moving $$$ giving it to SVDP, OH. Live & Learn ...

Last edited by joyeaux; 01-22-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM

67 posts, read 122,694 times
We are moving ourselves with a moving truck and a few people to help us. I have found that Penske trucks are nicer and somewhat cheaper to rent than Uhaul.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:17 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy1116 View Post
We are moving ourselves with a moving truck and a few people to help us. I have found that Penske trucks are nicer and somewhat cheaper to rent than Uhaul.
Yep also check out budget.... but to mention they are usually the traditional box truck, and have a higher rear cargo area. Which is fine, but makes it a little harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area