Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times

Advertisements

If anyone, the last one at I26 and Ashley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
I would choose #3. There's tons of hotels there and plenty of eating places. We used to go to that area frequently when we lived up there and there's nothing wrong with it.
The mall is over that way and so are a lot of restaurants and such. Going there for a couple of hours for shopping/eating is not a problem. Staying there overnight or for several days/weeks could be.

Based on the tripadvisor reviews, I'd stay away from Value Place altogether. Sorry just my opinion.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,056 times
You will be fine at the Leeds location. I live by there...................

Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
You will be fine at the Leeds location. I live by there...................
What's over by there?

Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,056 times
Tanger outlet is real close. Most of the time I go to west ashley. Its about 3min away on I-526

526 - Google Maps

Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,956 times
I would choose NONE, all are bad areas you really don't want to stay in... maybe visit the mall area and restaurants while you're here near the ashley phosphate location but leave before dark

why are you coming here and what do you plan on doing?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,197 times
Since we all have different opinions of which one we think is safe, you might also... Might want to check out cancellation policies and have a back up plan in case the one you choose is unacceptable once you get here....good luck!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 AM

469 posts, read 891,156 times
I stayed in the first one that everyone says is so terrible (Leed's Ave). I chose that one because it was the closest one to where my son lived (in West Ashley off Glenn McConnell). It just so happened to be the same week that the golf tournament was last year and there weren't a whole lot of places available unless we wanted to spend several hundred dollars a night. Our experience was fine - we felt quite safe. You had to have a key to even get in the hallways. The staff was quite nice - esp the front desk person who gave us restaurant recommendations and tips. There were lots of families there, some construction guys, and some people who were working as staff at the tournament. It was not noisy. We only were staying for 4 nights, but you have to book for a week (which was still cheaper than 2 or 3 nights at anyplace else). But we just gave them our notice we were leaving (24 hour notice) and we were on our way. And as was mentioned, just hop on 526 and travel a few exits and you've got tons of places nearby. My one piece of advice would be this - if you can get a room on the opposite side of their big Value Place sign that you can see from the highway. It blinks and can be annoying if you're sensitive to lights. We actually stayed in 2 different rooms while we were there and the first one was fine, but the second one had the sign. We just used thumb tacks to put up a blanket to block it - but it wasn't thrilling to be ready for bed and then have to figure out what to do. It didn't bother anyone else in the family except me. And don't expect a hotel - you have a kitchenette, but if you want dishes or pots and pans, you either bring your own or you pay them for the use of some. And if you want a change of sheets, you pay for that too. You also pay for internet. And bring your own paper products - you have a roll of toilet paper, but any more, you pay for it or bring your own. We didn't pay for any of that because we were fine not having fresh sheets for 4 days (we wouldn't be changing our sheets at home), we spent most of our time at my son's so we didn't need internet, we didn't cook there, and we brought an extra roll of tp. And when you leave, you take out your own trash - not a biggie. I would consider staying again - but now my son has a 2 bedroom apt so hopefully he'll let me stay with him.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 AM

469 posts, read 891,156 times
Oh - and on a side note of just how safe I felt and how nice people were - on more than one occasion, we'd be on the elevator and someone would come on and they'd ask us if we were just moving in or were new there and they'd welcome us. There were just other guests/residents. I imagine the long termers get to know each other so when they see a new face, they noticed. But what was especially telling to me was they chatted with us instead of being in the "stone face stare at the elevator door" mode.

If you stay there, your experience may be different. But ours was good. I'm generally a nice talkative person so I may just get what I give. But I did notice the front desk person interact with other guests/residents and she called them all by name mostly and was polite and attentive to what they needed (getting tp, switching out linens, giving notices, etc).

I think part of what put us on good footing with them was that our reservation was actually messed up. We reserved a double room and when we got there, they had us in a single. And there were not doubles available. I didn't get bent out of shape though - they were going to call the other Value Places to see if they had one and when we told her we chose that place because it was 3 miles from our son. So then she was then going to call other hotels near my son and THEY were going to pay for our room at one of them for the night (they had a double available the next day). I told her not to worry, we had an air mattress so my daughter could sleep on that for the night. So they reduced our room rate by $100, they didn't charge us a deposit, and they gave us the linen exchange for free (although we didn't use it) and would have given us the kitchen items as well, but I told her we didn't need them. They did their best to make things right for us. And then the next morning, we got up and moved all of our stuff out of the old room because we knew we'd be moving when the other room was clean. But we wanted to let them have that room again so they could clean it and get it rented. Turned out, that was not expected. When the room was ready and we got there to claim it, she said - we'll send housekeeping to move your stuff. I told her we already had - but just that went above and beyond the call for them. They weren't planning to renting our old room so we would have a room at all times.

Last edited by Go To Girl; 01-06-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
Oh - and on a side note of just how safe I felt and how nice people were - on more than one occasion, we'd be on the elevator and someone would come on and they'd ask us if we were just moving in or were new there and they'd welcome us. There were just other guests/residents. I imagine the long termers get to know each other so when they see a new face, they noticed. But what was especially telling to me was they chatted with us instead of being in the "stone face stare at the elevator door" mode.

If you stay there, your experience may be different. But ours was good. I'm generally a nice talkative person so I may just get what I give. But I did notice the front desk person interact with other guests/residents and she called them all by name mostly and was polite and attentive to what they needed (getting tp, switching out linens, giving notices, etc).

I think part of what put us on good footing with them was that our reservation was actually messed up. We reserved a double room and when we got there, they had us in a single. And there were not doubles available. I didn't get bent out of shape though - they were going to call the other Value Places to see if they had one and when we told her we chose that place because it was 3 miles from our son. So then she was then going to call other hotels near my son and THEY were going to pay for our room at one of them for the night (they had a double available the next day). I told her not to worry, we had an air mattress so my daughter could sleep on that for the night. So they reduced our room rate by $100, they didn't charge us a deposit, and they gave us the linen exchange for free (although we didn't use it) and would have given us the kitchen items as well, but I told her we didn't need them. They did their best to make things right for us. And then the next morning, we got up and moved all of our stuff out of the old room because we knew we'd be moving when the other room was clean. But we wanted to let them have that room again so they could clean it and get it rented. Turned out, that was not expected. When the room was ready and we got there to claim it, she said - we'll send housekeeping to move your stuff. I told her we already had - but just that went above and beyond the call for them. They weren't planning to renting our old room so we would have a room at all times.
That sounds nice and thanks for the honest opinion. We aren't that picky and as long as things are clean and safe, we are satisfied.

How far is this one from West Ashley or which is closest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area