Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,673,474 times

Advertisements

Mount Pleasant or not, over $350K for a Ryland home out in the middle of nowhere with only "promised amenities" does not sound very appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,679,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Mount Pleasant or not, over $350K for a Ryland home out in the middle of nowhere with only "promised amenities" does not sound very appealing.
Actually they already have the concrete poured for the swimming pool, and most of the pool house is built. I commented on the fact that it was good the amenities were going in first considering what people in other developments have gone through. FYI, that 350k tag is the starting price. The larger homes are considerably more. The four bedroom 3200 square foot home we liked was 479k. It had a great third floor bonus room with a bath, but you could see that the insulation was so poor up there the room would be uninhabitable half the year if not more.
We saw a lot of little minor things, but we also noticed the siding starting to curl in spots and the kitchen counters either installed wrong, where they are pulling away from the walls a bit. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,961,418 times
The Ryland homes have cement plank siding. How are they curling?

The Weekly model is head over heels better than the Ryland models (all 6 of them).

Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM

They looked like vinyl to us. Maybe they weren't curling, but just not flush with the wall in spots. There were definitely small gaps. Jeff did a brief stint as an exterminator and pointed out the places the siding was gaping as incursion points. I thought it was curling that I was seeing, but maybe just poor installation?

We didn't go into the Weekly models because we wouldn't ever actually consider buying in there. My absolute least favorite characteristic of so many of these subdivisions we see are the houses right up on the sidewalk. My driveway next to my lawn can easily fit three cars back to back, and that's ALMOST long enough for me. I don't care how big my house is but I want a big yard.
We probably will check out those Weekly models eventually. Jeff and I are happiest when we're househunting it seems, so exploring model home seems to scratch that itch when we're not actually in the market

Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
They looked like vinyl to us. Maybe they weren't curling, but just not flush with the wall in spots. There were definitely small gaps. Jeff did a brief stint as an exterminator and pointed out the places the siding was gaping as incursion points. I thought it was curling that I was seeing, but maybe just poor installation?

We didn't go into the Weekly models because we wouldn't ever actually consider buying in there. My absolute least favorite characteristic of so many of these subdivisions we see are the houses right up on the sidewalk. My driveway next to my lawn can easily fit three cars back to back, and that's ALMOST long enough for me. I don't care how big my house is but I want a big yard.
We probably will check out those Weekly models eventually. Jeff and I are happiest when we're househunting it seems, so exploring model home seems to scratch that itch when we're not actually in the market
There is only one Weekly model and it's right across the street from the Ryland models. The Ryland homes are right on the sidewalk as well? LoL Actually moreso than across on the Weekly lots.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
LoL

Not exactly out in the middle of nowhere. Less than a minute from the new hospital, 5 minutes from 20+ restaurants & 5-10 minutes from two Harris Teeters, a Publix, and WalMart. Five minutes from Kohl's. Ten minutes from Town Center. Fifteen minutes from IOP. I can't even say how many restaurants within 10 minutes...50+? The middle of nowhere? LoL

And the amenities are being built as we speak. You probably just aren't aware of this.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,298,441 times
Jaded, I am.

But going to the 10 week free sessions the town of Mt P offers (titled Planning College) has sobered me up as far as the real, current, & true picture of the town. That is, that Mt P extends past the connector, and even past Brickyard Plantation ... who knew?! eek .

There is life up Hwy 17 and beyond Snee Farm ... WOW! It's just not my Mt P ... not the town I came to live in. Park West would be perfect if I were 25 years younger. And so I think even more that this is a great town to be a part of and bring your family to ... whether raising your kids or touring them around with the grandkids on your lap.

So many choices.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
There is only one Weekly model and it's right across the street from the Ryland models. The Ryland homes are right on the sidewalk as well? LoL Actually moreso than across on the Weekly lots.
These must not be the same models then. There were only two Ryland model homes where we looked. The two Ryland homes that we went into had nothing but forest both in front of and behind them, and two spec homes on the other side of a very small Ryland sales office. Sounds like they have models set up in multiple locations? The Weekly models were about a block further down the street, but we only drove by them. There were several houses with balloons tied to the front that we assumed were the models, but who knows. I didn't notice a Ryland model down there, but I wasn't looking.
And yes, the Rylands were right on the sidewalk. We wouldn't consider buying one of them either. We were just looking for fun because I LOVE three story houses. I wouldn't buy one again because me knee hates even the one flight of stairs we have now, but I do like to look at them.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
These must not be the same models then. The two Ryland homes that we went into had nothing but forest both in front of and behind them, and two spec homes on the other side of a very small Ryland sales office. The Weekly models were about a block further down the street, but we only drove by them. There were several houses with balloons tied to the front that we assumed were the models, but who knows. I didn't notice a Ryland model down there, but I wasn't looking.
And yes, the Rylands were right on the sidewalk. We wouldn't consider buying one of them either. We were just looking for fun because I LOVE three story houses. I wouldn't buy one again because me knee hates even the one flight of stairs we have now, but I do like to look at them.
You were certainly in the right neighborhood.

On the Ryland side there are two models between CP Blvd and the office. The two on the other side of the office and the two directly across the street from them are all four models as well. They have 6 models in total. That is a Ryland neighborhood and only their homes are present.

The homes on the opposite side of CP Blvd are all Weekly homes. They only have one model. As far as I know the other homes being built are sold.

We only like one of the Ryland floorplans, but prices in CP are a bit high for what you're getting. $400+ for everything in there...the Weekly model is around $500.

There is a third builder starting on three lots over on the street where the original homes were built (across CP Blvd from where the amenities center is under construction). For the life of me I can't remember the name.

I also think they may be getting ready to open up the section over across Darrel Creek Trail soon. Those will be more expensive...especially as you get further back towards the water.

I'd like the Weekly model built on my own lot somewhere else. That floorplan may not suit everyone, but it fits our lifestyle to a T.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Now I'm just going to have to drive by and look again because what you are describing sounds very different from what we saw. Where we were there were only two houses that you could go into, although down the road a ways it looked like there were several more. I really liked the layout of the Ryland home, Coosaw, but with my kids going off to college soon I need to be looking at much smaller houses.

We also looked at The Tupelo development a little further up the road. Those are also Ryland homes going up. Only the model is up so far, but judging by the lots these homes will be smaller, and still rubbing elbows.
I sure hope MP has some school plans in the works because these houses will all be attracting families with school age children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area