Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 02:36 PM

204 posts, read 184,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
All prices are high now, groceries, gas, houses, road projects. Just wait until things go down. The 526 completion is still being managed by SCDOT, and the timeline says construction begins in 2024. Can I believe this?
www.scdotmarkclark.com
The latest I heard was 2028 for construction to begin. It seems like maybe this is finally the end. I've noticed that even many supporters are admitting that it is too expensive. Charleston County has been holding off on improvements like fixing the 17 and Main intersection for years to drum up support for the 526 extension. Now maybe they'll be forced to actually do something rather than point at the problems and say (untruthfully) that 526 will solve everything in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 06:17 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,960,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
The latest I heard was 2028 for construction to begin. It seems like maybe this is finally the end. I've noticed that even many supporters are admitting that it is too expensive. Charleston County has been holding off on improvements like fixing the 17 and Main intersection for years to drum up support for the 526 extension. Now maybe they'll be forced to actually do something rather than point at the problems and say (untruthfully) that 526 will solve everything in the future.
ehhh that'll be the case till a Hugo 2.0 happens and people realize that a single lane off John's Island (because the bridge to James island wouldn't really help with evacuating people out of the area), isn't exactly sufficient.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:46 PM

11 posts, read 10,792 times
Seems like this evacuation talking point keeps coming up but no one has ever explained to me how the 526 extension would get anyone away from the coast any faster. You'd still be stuck on the highways leading inland so I honestly don't think it would do anyone any good whatsoever.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:51 AM

12,922 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Living only blocks from the connector on James Island, I don’t relish the thought of Johns Islanders adding traffic to the expressway and slowing my five-minute trip to downtown. I believe the road projects proposed for Johns Island in its clogged spots would be a better solution for all involved.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:36 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
Quote:

Man, I retire in 2028! I can't believe this, useless to those of us communting/working in North Charleston living on Johns Island.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,640 times
The county might as well widen US 17 to 6 lanes from the Lands Inn motel to Bees Ferry Road. In that process they could improve 17 & Main rd.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:56 AM

11 posts, read 10,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc17 View Post
The county might as well widen US 17 to 6 lanes from the Lands Inn motel to Bees Ferry Road. In that process they could improve 17 & Main rd.
About ten years ago, there was an alternative plan to improve Savannah Highway instead of building 526. Along with widening the western end of the highway, it involved creating backstreets to reach the businesses along the most crowded sections. Not sure if the plan is still being considered, but it had some good ideas.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:57 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli B View Post
About ten years ago, there was an alternative plan to improve Savannah Highway instead of building 526. Along with widening the western end of the highway, it involved creating backstreets to reach the businesses along the most crowded sections. Not sure if the plan is still being considered, but it had some good ideas.
They are working on several 17/Savannah Hwy realignments and improvements from what i understand. I know they just posted the one for Avondale/Byrnes Down and it looks pretty good to me. Supposedly a part of that will be increasing parking on land they buy to correct the intersections. Unfortunately some folks assume that a safer intersection means 500 more cars per day will mysteriously want to drive through the neighborhood...

On the 526 front- it would actually be a big relief for people living close in West Ashley or between the connector/Wappoo Bridge/Johns Island on James Island as all those commuters bottle neck as they find their way downtown or to the Crosstown.

Old 08-10-2022, 02:54 PM

46 posts, read 43,290 times
It will be great when 526 is finally finished. Then they can get to work on 17B, 626, and just to cause mayhem 826 !)

Old 08-12-2022, 09:41 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,866,645 times
Quote:
Everything is expensive. The longer you wait the more expensive it's going to be so they should just do it as soon as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area