Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 06:36 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,438,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
It keeps getting further and further from ever happening. I just wish they’d forget it and make the approach to Folly Road from the connector more attractive and permanent-appearing.

“ … the county no longer has the ability to pay for this project, as required under its current deal with the state, but County Council has been hesitant to accept that reality. Instead, it sought a new cost estimate, which took six months and reduced the projected price from $2.35 billion to $2.2 billion, essentially changing nothing. The county’s $1.78 billion share of the revised cost estimate is still about five times its annual budget.”

https://www.postandcourier.com/opini...e096d5b88.html
You are quoting the post and courier, who are always against 526, must live on Farms and work from home. If you lived on Johns Island you would see the need for 526 if you work and commute. It's a mess on Maybank hwy morning and evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 06:42 AM

12,933 posts, read 18,787,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
You are quoting the post and courier, who are always against 526, must live on Farms and work from home. If you lived on Johns Island you would see the need for 526 if you work and commute. It's a mess on Maybank hwy morning and evening.
That’s why I don’t live on Johns Island. Anywhere around Charleston that’s that far from downtown is like a place that sheep were herded before realizing they’d been duped into having to deal with suburban traffic headaches on a daily basis. That’s why I live on James Island only 8/10 of a mile from the connector. And I don’t relish the idea of Johns Islanders ever slowing down my trips into downtown by cramming up the expressway from their far-flung housing subdivisions. .

Old 12-21-2022, 08:41 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
Quote:
That’s why I don’t live on Johns Island. Anywhere around Charleston that’s that far from downtown is like a place that sheep were herded before realizing they’d been duped into having to deal with suburban traffic headaches on a daily basis. That’s why I live on James Island only 8/10 of a mile from the connector. And I don’t relish the idea of Johns Islanders ever slowing down my trips into downtown by cramming up the expressway from their far-flung housing subdivisions. .
Wow! So the same person that wants the government to build housing for the masses, doesn’t want transportation for the same?

Old 12-21-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Wow! So the same person that wants the government to build housing for the masses, doesn’t want transportation for the same?
You’ve never seen me say I want housing for the masses built by the government, or by anyone else, out on Johns Island or in any suburban spot that far away from the core. And anywhere housing is built for the masses, amenities, including stores and public transportation within walking distance, need to be included in the plan.

At least Nexton in Summerville has made and continues to make efforts to keep its residents inside the community for many of their basic needs and entertainment. It is time to end the development of far-flung, highway-traffic-clogging housing developments that contain only houses with no built-in commercial components that residents can patronize without driving on highways and main roads.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
You’ve never seen me say I want housing for the masses built by the government, or by anyone else, out on Johns Island or in any suburban spot that far away from the core. And anywhere housing is built for the masses, amenities, including stores and public transportation within walking distance, need to be included in the plan.

At least Nexton in Summerville has made and continues to make efforts to keep its residents inside the community for many of their basic needs and entertainment. It is time to end the development of far-flung, highway-traffic-clogging housing developments that contain only houses with no built-in commercial components that residents can patronize without driving on highways and main roads.
John's Island is far away from the the core? You do realize, that parts of John's Island are in the Charleston city limits, right?

Old 12-21-2022, 03:38 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,964,913 times
The area is growing relatively fast in general

James island had a population just shy of 40k in 2020 up about 4k from 2010
Johns Island having a population of about 23k up about 8k from 2010

Old 12-22-2022, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
John's Island is far away from the the core? You do realize, that parts of John's Island are in the Charleston city limits, right?
Yes, and I realize the parts that were annexed were annexed for the city to get tax revenue from those who wanted to move away from the core. I said “in any suburban spot that far away from the core.” However far from the core that means to you is on you.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, and I realize the parts that were annexed were annexed for the city to get tax revenue from those who wanted to move away from the core. I said “in any suburban spot that far away from the core.” However far from the core that means to you is on you.
Maybe you should clarify then? The peninsula only? Part or all of West Ashley? All of James Island?

Old 12-22-2022, 10:22 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,438,122 times
Much of the City part of Johns Island is right at the bottom of the bridge, Fenwick, Headquarter's Island. This is fifteen minutes from downtown, I would not say it's too far from the core.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:51 AM

[quote=m1a1mg;64630871]Maybe you should clarify then? The peninsula only? Part or all of West Ashley? All of James Island?[/QUOTE

When I think of the core, and I believe most would agree, I think of the center. And the “center” in this metro’s case doesn’t necessarily mean only the city of Charleston. Take it from there by looking at a map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area