Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

We got one of them tankless water heaters....takes up no space. Hot water tank -- attic -- YIKES.....scary stuff --as you say -- leaks/repairs/replacement -- trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 AM

245 posts, read 319,301 times
Welcome to Mount Pleasant. I have yet to find the mountain but it is pleasant enough.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We got one of them tankless water heaters....takes up no space. Hot water tank -- attic -- YIKES.....scary stuff --as you say -- leaks/repairs/replacement -- trouble.
Absolutely agree. Having an attic water heater, I am 100% behind getting tankless in the next house which we hope is just a few months away now.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
Welcome to Mount Pleasant. I have yet to find the mountain but it is pleasant enough.
Cooper river bridge is the mountain

Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM

234 posts, read 382,471 times
Checked with the builder, and we'll be getting a tankless outdoor water heater. That's a load of my mind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-28-2013, 05:01 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Cooper river bridge is the mountain
Don't forget about that big hill by Park West Track. The only legit hill for running, even if it is man made .

Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
Don't forget about that big hill by Park West Track. The only legit hill for running, even if it is man made .
You know I've seen that a bunch of times and thought it was odd. Interesting to know it's man made and I guess it would be a good alternative to the bridge if I don't feel like driving down there. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 PM

289 posts, read 305,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Definitely and 100% agree. Is it weird to feel like a better person for learning/saying this because I certainly do. I've walked into stores/shops and been given the watchful eye, but because I say "thank you sir" and "yes sir" anytime it fits in conversation, they smile and talk like I am a regular friend. Call me crazy, but this feels good EVERY time.

I also love to tell tourists at IOP that they don't have to pay the meters after 6. They struggle at those pay kiosks every time. Some even go as far to continue to attempt to pay.
I disagree with this to an almost vehement level, but then again I'm one of those horrible Yanks everyone keeps complaining about.

Saying "Yes sir" and "No sir" to strangers is a) absolutely fake, b) is a sad throwback to a "never-was" genteel south, c) is about as far as you can possibly get to the ideals of equality and fraternity that this country should be about, and d) is a symptom of an immature society that demands ritual instead of relying on adult social cues.

Really, the south just can't seem to shake the faux-feudalism of the plantation/landed-gentry time, and this is one of the most common and most grating reminders of that. There is absolutely no need to add "sir" or "ma'am" to the end of everything. It is just as respectful to reply with a simple "Yup" as it is to pull out the full BS and give a chipper "Yes Sir!" accompanied by a curtsey.

Moreover, enforcing it on children is the biggest form of silly arrogance you can possibly develop - by forcing children to address you as "Sir" or "Ma'am" what you're telling the world is "I have major self esteem issues and feel the best way to address them is by enforcing my dominance over those younger then me." It's really quite pathetic, and I've worked very hard to ensure that my daughter refuses on principle to address anyone as "Sir" or "Ma'am".

Sorry, didn't mean to rant at you, but this is a major pet peeve of mine, and the sooner we as a nation get over it, the better.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
I disagree with this to an almost vehement level, but then again I'm one of those horrible Yanks everyone keeps complaining about.

Saying "Yes sir" and "No sir" to strangers is a) absolutely fake, b) is a sad throwback to a "never-was" genteel south, c) is about as far as you can possibly get to the ideals of equality and fraternity that this country should be about, and d) is a symptom of an immature society that demands ritual instead of relying on adult social cues.

Really, the south just can't seem to shake the faux-feudalism of the plantation/landed-gentry time, and this is one of the most common and most grating reminders of that. There is absolutely no need to add "sir" or "ma'am" to the end of everything. It is just as respectful to reply with a simple "Yup" as it is to pull out the full BS and give a chipper "Yes Sir!" accompanied by a curtsey.

Moreover, enforcing it on children is the biggest form of silly arrogance you can possibly develop - by forcing children to address you as "Sir" or "Ma'am" what you're telling the world is "I have major self esteem issues and feel the best way to address them is by enforcing my dominance over those younger then me." It's really quite pathetic, and I've worked very hard to ensure that my daughter refuses on principle to address anyone as "Sir" or "Ma'am".

Sorry, didn't mean to rant at you, but this is a major pet peeve of mine, and the sooner we as a nation get over it, the better.

So we all should be disrespectful Yankees?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:35 AM

183 posts, read 356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
So we all should be disrespectful Yankees?
YUP

Because saying "YUP" is a mature and intelligent way to communicate. It's actually quite polite to answer someone with "YUP." Better not say "sir" or "ma'am" though, or you'll show your true colors. Weren't you aware of this?

It's not disrespectful in the slightest to say that a large group of people you have never met are fake, arrogant, pathetic, and mentally and emotionally unstable for their use of honorific titles in everyday conversation. It is, however, disrespectful to use these titles.

So now I feel ashamed for saying "sir" or "ma'am" and next time I see my parents I'll make sure to let them know that they were fake, arrogant fools on a power trip and they did a terrible job raising me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area