Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:14 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasqo View Post
... Something they don't exactly make known upfront is that every lot in the the specified section has it's own pricepoint. In other words, lot 15 could be more money than lot 20, even if the square footage is equivalent. Not every floorplan will fit on every lot, so it's probably a good idea to know what floorplan you're looking to go with before committing to a lot...
Lot premiums are standard practice around here. With that said, every new lot we have looked at had the lot premium quoted up front. Nothing was ever hidden (and we looked in the same neighborhood you settled on).

Yes, some lots are not suitable for every plan. It's a process to find a lot that suits your floor plan or vice versa.

The Weekly model over there is absolutely awesome. It fits our lifestyle to a "T". The two beds down with the guest up front and master in back is so smart. The kitchen (island) is amazing. Did you look "up" in the master bedroom? I told my wife I could lay in bed and stare at the ceiling all day. LoL No tub in the master, but we would have chosen the XXXLarge shower instead anyway. I could go on...but we simply loved that floor plan. We actually thought about buying a lot somewhere else and asking if they would build it for us (which they no doubt would have).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM

234 posts, read 382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Lot premiums are standard practice around here. With that said, every new lot we have looked at had the lot premium quoted up front. Nothing was ever hidden (and we looked in the same neighborhood you settled on).

Yes, some lots are not suitable for every plan. It's a process to find a lot that suits your floor plan or vice versa.

The Weekly model over there is absolutely awesome. It fits our lifestyle to a "T". The two beds down with the guest up front and master in back is so smart. The kitchen (island) is amazing. Did you look "up" in the master bedroom? I told my wife I could lay in bed and stare at the ceiling all day. LoL No tub in the master, but we would have chosen the XXXLarge shower instead anyway. I could go on...but we simply loved that floor plan. We actually thought about buying a lot somewhere else and asking if they would build it for us (which they no doubt would have).

@ cape_fisherman

Again, I am very green when going thru this process. I didn't mean to infer that they were hiding anything.. They weren't.. It would have just been nice to have access to a chart or something with the quotes displayed rather than have to inquire. Again, I'm super green so I don't know the customs to the business.

The wife settled on the Fontenot. Yes, it's awesome! I think the Fontenot is slightly smaller than the Whitham model, but the layout was just favored by the wife so that's what we went with. I'm definitely a fan of that Master bedroom, and hope to replicate it in my home. I know exactly what you're saying ..

Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Lot premiums exist in any new subdivision. In some communities, not only will physical lot restrictions dictate which plan can or cannot go on a lot but also there may be restrictions that only allow so many of any one model on any street. There is always a fave plan or two and it would not be good for any homeowner if everyone in the subdivision had their same plan.

Husband is in land development -- been involved in more subdivisions than you can count. There was even one project where they required the builder to completely redo and upgrade his exterior finishes to keep up with the other builders in the community. Best thing that happened to that track builder. They used those upgraded exteriors in other communities after that.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,763 times
brasqo - thanks for the information, and good luck with the building process!

I agree about Weekley model, it was gorgeous but unfortunately out of our price range.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM

25 posts, read 87,244 times
Wow, so many NY transplants, I love it!I'm from LI as well and my husband and I recently moved down to Mt Pleasant with our 2 young children (2 and 4 years old) and couldn't be happier!This area actually reminds me a lot of parts of LI.Let me know if you have any questions, we did a ton of research prior to moving down last November. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonmh View Post
This area actually reminds me a lot of parts of LI
What parts here remind you of L.I. ???
< simply curious >

I have a different perspective of course... I am glad NO parts what so ever remind me of back home

Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
What parts here remind you of L.I. ???
< simply curious >

I have a different perspective of course... I am glad NO parts what so ever remind me of back home
I thought you weren't supposed to talk negative about where you lived?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 AM

25 posts, read 87,244 times
I am originally from the southshore of LI (Nassau county), so we spent a lot of time on/near the water...friends houses on the canal, going to concerts at Jones Beach via boat, being a summer lifeguard at Jones Beach and going out on the nautical mile in Freeport, fishing, crabbing and clamming at Gilgo beach...Water was everywhere and that's similar to the way we feel here, I love it!LI has changed a lot and this place reminds me of the LI that Billy Joel used to sing about (not the LI that has been over-run by Queens and Jersey shore please no one take offense to that last statement, I am just implying that LI has become very crowded and less beach, more urban in recent years)

Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM

234 posts, read 382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonmh View Post
I am originally from the southshore of LI (Nassau county), so we spent a lot of time on/near the water...friends houses on the canal, going to concerts at Jones Beach via boat, being a summer lifeguard at Jones Beach and going out on the nautical mile in Freeport, fishing, crabbing and clamming at Gilgo beach...Water was everywhere and that's similar to the way we feel here, I love it!LI has changed a lot and this place reminds me of the LI that Billy Joel used to sing about (not the LI that has been over-run by Queens and Jersey shore please no one take offense to that last statement, I am just implying that LI has become very crowded and less beach, more urban in recent years)
Ding ding ding! We have a winner

It has definitely changed, and it's definitely not for the better in my opinion. My wife already has one foot out the door at this point as she gives me the obligatory "I can't wait to get outta here" every other day.

Hope to see you all soon! Can't wait!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times
Default Moving to Mount Pleasant in June

We are moving to Mount Pleasant on the 14th of June and we still don't have a house! We would really like to live in the Old Village, but there is very little on the market in our price range. We may be staying at the Days Inn until we can jump on a new listing. We have a ten-year old son and 7-year old daughter, both very active and outgoing, but I will worry about how they will adjust. This is going to be quite an adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area