Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:54 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,961,418 times

Advertisements

His wife may be disabled...we don't know.

I do know that I don't pay much in vehicle tax...$2,500 a year is alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
Does it really cost more to live there than FL? When I do the cost of living calculator, it seems pretty close. I know things seemed expensive when we vacationed but I thought it was because we didn't know the ins and outs of the local things.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,051,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Does it really cost more to live there than FL? When I do the cost of living calculator, it seems pretty close. I know things seemed expensive when we vacationed but I thought it was because we didn't know the ins and outs of the local things.
I feel like cost of living is fairly low here.

Keep in mind, this is just one poster's opinion. We only know what he has told us on this board- we don't know how he spends his money, where he lives, what kind of car he drives, how much he makes at Boeing, etc. We also don't know much about what's in Fla. either, as far as how much that how is worth, how much he got paid there, etc. I guess if you really want specifics, you can always personal message someone.

I hate that his move to CHS isn't working out like he hoped. Obviously I'm biased and like my city, as do a lot of others on this board (hey, if we didn't love it here, we wouldn't be welcoming and helping newcomers and those relocating). Just because you're in Fla. and he was in Fla, and he is in CHS and you will be soon doesn't mean you should take it to heart any more than any other posts on this board.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 PM

37,893 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpond View Post
Try living in Atlanta, where you won't just worry about that, but you also worry about thugs on the highways up to no good and people following you home.

I live in metro Atlanta and I have no clue what you're talking about here. We definitely have our issues with crime, but "thugs on the highways up to no good and people following you home"?????????

Old 04-28-2013, 08:23 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,320,731 times
Do they have 10 vehicles? My tax bills for 2011 and 2010 Toyota sedans totaled under $500...

Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,653,420 times
My tax bills was like $200.

One thing I will point out, you said you are renting, and paying for a house in FL. One thing that helps, is property taxes on houses, I pay about $1600 a year here in Charleston. My mom paid about $6500 last year in FL. Renting you don't get the benefits of cheaper taxes, you just pay someone elses.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,381 times
The property tax thing confuses me a little. I drive a 2011 Ram and paid $250 this year. Unless you have 10 vehicles and they are all fairly new or you have several very expensive vehicles, $2,500 seems out of line.

As far as electricity goes, heat/AC is a big drain on the bill and turning them off can lower it but space heaters, electric blankets and fans use electricity too. So do TV's, computers, video games etc. I live alone in 1500 sf and see $200 power bills in very hot/cold months so $200 in a 2000 sf house doesn't surprise me at all. Growing up, my family lived in 3,500 sf and even when we didn't use the heat/AC at all, $300+ was not unheard of. Also, you said you were renting. My mom rented a place once that was not sealed at all. Her power bill was through the roof until she figured out what was going on.

Insurance is partially a function of zip code but some of that can be mitigated by shopping around a bit. I have USAA for car insurance on a 2 year old truck and pay $350 every 6 months.

I know it seems like drivers here are worse than FL or wherever but I get around a lot and I've driven all over SC and in other parts of the country as well. You're never going to escape bad drivers. You could live out in the country miles away from your nearest neighbor and almost never see another car on the road and if you think there are no bad drivers, I have some bad news for you...you're it. I think the biggest problem in Charleston is overcrowding. We've had an influx in recent years from a lot of places so there are a lot more people on the road than there were before. That means people are less patient and more prone to do stupid things. The bad news is that it makes it harder to get around in Charleston, the good news is that it means more people are moving here.

Sorry that you've had a bad time here. I guess this town isn't for everyone and I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
The property tax thing confuses me a little. I drive a 2011 Ram and paid $250 this year. Unless you have 10 vehicles and they are all fairly new or you have several very expensive vehicles, $2,500 seems out of line.

As far as electricity goes, heat/AC is a big drain on the bill and turning them off can lower it but space heaters, electric blankets and fans use electricity too. So do TV's, computers, video games etc. I live alone in 1500 sf and see $200 power bills in very hot/cold months so $200 in a 2000 sf house doesn't surprise me at all. Growing up, my family lived in 3,500 sf and even when we didn't use the heat/AC at all, $300+ was not unheard of. Also, you said you were renting. My mom rented a place once that was not sealed at all. Her power bill was through the roof until she figured out what was going on.

Insurance is partially a function of zip code but some of that can be mitigated by shopping around a bit. I have USAA for car insurance on a 2 year old truck and pay $350 every 6 months.

I know it seems like drivers here are worse than FL or wherever but I get around a lot and I've driven all over SC and in other parts of the country as well. You're never going to escape bad drivers. You could live out in the country miles away from your nearest neighbor and almost never see another car on the road and if you think there are no bad drivers, I have some bad news for you...you're it. I think the biggest problem in Charleston is overcrowding. We've had an influx in recent years from a lot of places so there are a lot more people on the road than there were before. That means people are less patient and more prone to do stupid things. The bad news is that it makes it harder to get around in Charleston, the good news is that it means more people are moving here.

Sorry that you've had a bad time here. I guess this town isn't for everyone and I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Bad drivers, for all reasons, are everywhere. I don't even bat an eye at cell phone junkies anymore because it's part of American culture now. What I don't understand is people going 55 in a 65 over the Edwards bridge in the fast lane (and they have a SC license plate). Will someone please explain this!?!?!

Also, that clock on your DVD player, microwave, and coffee maker are draining your electricity. Albeit, not as much as if they were on, but you should just google how those little things add up.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 PM

217 posts, read 573,866 times
This post really drives home the idea of "different strokes for different folks." I grew up in New York, and have lived in a few others states in between then and now, and I will say that SC has the lowest real estate taxes (BY FAR!), best roads (BY FAR!), lowest home prices, and fair insurance costs, comparatively. Even living in Louisiana, things were more expensive than they are here. After visiting NY a few weeks ago, I never knew how much I took SC roads for granted. The roads up there are complete garbage.

Sorry it didn't work out for ya, man. Hope things in Florida are better.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers2010 View Post
This post really drives home the idea of "different strokes for different folks." I grew up in New York, and have lived in a few others states in between then and now, and I will say that SC has the lowest real estate taxes (BY FAR!), best roads (BY FAR!), lowest home prices, and fair insurance costs, comparatively. Even living in Louisiana, things were more expensive than they are here. After visiting NY a few weeks ago, I never knew how much I took SC roads for granted. The roads up there are complete garbage.

Sorry it didn't work out for ya, man. Hope things in Florida are better.
Where in NY? The roads are usually rated D+ up there and it's terrible. So much more attention to SC roads than I'm used to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area