Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times

Advertisements

I look over my bill and did not see a separate charge for the router... hey it is built into the modem.. so how can they charge.. but check your bill... ya never know.

I do pay $7/month for the modem.. but that is charged anyway... router or not.

I just purchased a WD Router N600... 300+300 dual band and installed and YES internet access is faster.. I check the speed as well and yes it is faster... getting 29-43.5 Mbps

Was $60 from BestBuy and rated very well and with Amazon as well.
Saw on-line was $40 so went to BB in N. Chas and showed them their own on-line price and they matched it of course and came home and installed and happy.

Hey for $40.. even though Comcast should have worked.. well worked better.. I am happy.

I purchased the lowest end kinda router... reviews were great.. for the N600 (300+300) so why not try it.
On the WD box it says would not be so good... they showed you should bump up to N750 or N900 for a larger home .. our home is big but not that big (3000 sq ft) .. but that is all relative... but my laptop is the furthest point from the router in our house and different floors etc... but still went with the 600 (300+300) and works fine.

So far so good.. and not to rely on Comcast's 'router' anymore.

Their own tech advised it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
Anyone ever use WOW internet/cable/phone? I keep getting flyers for $75 a month for all 3 services. It's tempting to give it a try.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Anyone ever use WOW internet/cable/phone? I keep getting flyers for $75 a month for all 3 services. It's tempting to give it a try.
WOW = Knology

I've heard they have great customer service but are years behind on DVR, HD, and OnDemand service.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 AM

Just received a flyer from WOWWAY.COM

they are offering Internet, Cable and Phone in the Charleston area

anyone seen it.. it was in a mailer pak to the house

anyone heard of them ?

(says.... in 2012, WOW! acquired Knology, Inc. and began serving customers in Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Kansas, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa.)

Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 AM

234 posts, read 382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
I look over my bill and did not see a separate charge for the router... hey it is built into the modem.. so how can they charge.. but check your bill... ya never know.

I do pay $7/month for the modem.. but that is charged anyway... router or not.

I just purchased a WD Router N600... 300+300 dual band and installed and YES internet access is faster.. I check the speed as well and yes it is faster... getting 29-43.5 Mbps

Was $60 from BestBuy and rated very well and with Amazon as well.
Saw on-line was $40 so went to BB in N. Chas and showed them their own on-line price and they matched it of course and came home and installed and happy.

Hey for $40.. even though Comcast should have worked.. well worked better.. I am happy.

I purchased the lowest end kinda router... reviews were great.. for the N600 (300+300) so why not try it.
On the WD box it says would not be so good... they showed you should bump up to N750 or N900 for a larger home .. our home is big but not that big (3000 sq ft) .. but that is all relative... but my laptop is the furthest point from the router in our house and different floors etc... but still went with the 600 (300+300) and works fine.

So far so good.. and not to rely on Comcast's 'router' anymore.

Their own tech advised it.
You can always purchase a wifi extender to up the signal to a weak area of your home. It basically looks like a cigarette pack that plugs into an outlet. The prices/look will vary depending on how fancy you want to get.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
Just received a flyer from WOWWAY.COM

they are offering Internet, Cable and Phone in the Charleston area

anyone seen it.. it was in a mailer pak to the house

anyone heard of them ?

(says.... in 2012, WOW! acquired Knology, Inc. and began serving customers in Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Kansas, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa.)
See my post above yours...

Only parts of Mt P. Call for accurate coverage area-don't rely on what the website says.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasqo View Post
You can always purchase a wifi extender to up the signal to a weak area of your home. It basically looks like a cigarette pack that plugs into an outlet. The prices/look will vary depending on how fancy you want to get.
Thanks.. did not know........... good idea... as you can transfer from room to room 'in case'

But the modem works just fine and at $40 and highly rated... so far so good

But thanks again for another time.... now I know

Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
See my post above yours...

Only parts of Mt P. Call for accurate coverage area-don't rely on what the website says.
I know Rory... I punched in a neighbors address... (never use my own) and they confirmed coverage.

Might suck... I dunno.........

From the past... I WANTED Knology... but it was not available in my neighborhood... but now it is.

ALL DEPENDS if it works !!!

Channel line-up is good... well depends which package and internet speed is good... again depends which package.

I dunno............ the website is kinda corny... but so am I sometimes

If it were just WOWWAY... and the look of the website I would be suspicious... but since I read it is Knology... might try it.

Hey no contract.......... and would not disconnect Comcast till it is installed and tried out.

Any other feedback ?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM

Only a few minor things annoy me about Comcast, but they don't have anything to do with their internet; all about their cable service.

Their selection of HD programming is disappointing. Time Warner had everything in HD while Comcast just doesn't broadcast HD channels that they feel nobody watches. Only one HD HBO station? Really? Time Warner also streams most of their stations live on mobile devices. Not shows, but the channels, commercials and all. It was nice to just pop on the NFL network on the treadmill or watch SVU on the go. I could also just schedule my DVR without some special premium device/package.

Time Warner also liked to scheme their channel lineups in an easy to understand way. If channel 7 was Fox, channel 1007 was Fox HD. TBS 32, TBS HD 1032. So convenient. But some of that might be that I'm just unfamiliar with the normal channel schemes around here.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Time Warner also liked to scheme their channel lineups in an easy to understand way. If channel 7 was Fox, channel 1007 was Fox HD. TBS 32, TBS HD 1032. So convenient. But some of that might be that I'm just unfamiliar with the normal channel schemes around here.
What a concept

Was AMAZED when I first got HD when we moved here and saw the HD channels did not correspond ... duhhhh.

Anything with Knology was the question my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area