Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times

Advertisements

GAH!!! We want to live in Mt P so bad. This is so frustrating...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:12 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Why do you have to be in a current development?

If it's something you have the funds for (and it obviously must be), then just look for a piece of land and do your thing.

If you are lucky, you'll find something "in" MtP, but in the county and not in the town limits.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Why do you have to be in a current development?

If it's something you have the funds for (and it obviously must be), then just look for a piece of land and do your thing.

If you are lucky, you'll find something "in" MtP, but in the county and not in the town limits.
It doesn't necessarily have to be within a development, but we thought it would be more enticing for someone to want to rent from us. And then we don't want to buy land and build a property that looks out of place from its surroundings, you know? We just have some thinking to do I guess. Because with my husband attending the Citadel, we need to be around the Mt P or West Ashley area and just prefer Mt P with all its shopping and restaurants.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
The is a whole developement of Duplexes in Summerville on Central Ave....

Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWold View Post
You think it is frustrating now, wait until you live in one of these HOA run communities and you get a letter because you are out of town on a long weekend and come Monday morning your grass is a 1/2" too tall.....

Just another reason I am moving out in the country...

Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
You think it is frustrating now, wait until you live in one of these HOA run communities and you get a letter because you are out of town on a long weekend and come Monday morning your grass is a 1/2" too tall.....

Ha! Very true That is a definite plus of not living in a development.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post

Some friends of ours over there get to pay their HOA $50 because a car was parked in front of their house overnight. It seems odd to me - the streets are public and there aren't signs anywhere. Heaven help them if someone can see a garbage can hidden beside someone's house from the street.

Quote:
Ha! Very true That is a definite plus of not living in a development.
Older neighborhoods very often don't haven an HOA either, but of course if you can find an open lot you get to deal with city zoning if you want to go multi-family.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:12 AM

234 posts, read 382,507 times
Quote:
I understand your frustration. Like I said, my family ended up scrapping the whole "family compound" idea because we really wanted to build specifically in Mt P. We just decided to embrace the "Charleston tradition" with their home styles etc. My wife is more than happy with our decision and won't leave me alone about the house build being finished

Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasqo View Post
I understand your frustration. Like I said, my family ended up scrapping the whole "family compound" idea because we really wanted to build specifically in Mt P. We just decided to embrace the "Charleston tradition" with their home styles etc. My wife is more than happy with our decision and won't leave me alone about the house build being finished
We may just get a rental for a year or possibly a starter home. We just HATE throwing our money away on rent. It's awesome our property in Greenville is actually giving us a profit. We had hoped we would get lucky like that here, but I guess we have to look into other towns. If we were to buy a duplex in the surrounding area, which town would be the most desired?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:55 PM

234 posts, read 382,507 times
Quote:
We may just get a rental for a year or possibly a starter home. We just HATE throwing our money away on rent. It's awesome our property in Greenville is actually giving us a profit. We had hoped we would get lucky like that here, but I guess we have to look into other towns. If we were to buy a duplex in the surrounding area, which town would be the most desired?
Local to Mt P (from the looking I've personally done) if I wasn't going to be in Mt P, I'd probably be concentrating on Summerville. I'd have to be careful about the schools as I believe it's hit or miss there (GreatSchools.org Search: summerville). Someone who lives there could definitely steer you better with that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area