Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM

12 posts, read 30,969 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I will be moving to the Charleston area to work as a supplier for Boeing for at least a year around mid to late August. I am an active, and mid 20's single male, looking to meet a lot of new people my age. I've been searching around these forums and other resources and I think I've narrowed down my choices to rent either downtown area or Avondale in West Ashely for the purposes of proximity of night life / commute to work / local interests. I do realize downtown will be a little more hectic for traveling to the plant. For night life, I do not plan to party every week or weekend for that matter, but I would like to be in walking distance of single-friendly places if I do go out.

My question for downtown is where are the crime zones? I've already been down here on and off for a few months and from some of the people, they told me where crime is bad, it's bad. Some of the places I'm looking at is Huger St in between Meeting St. and King St. Also is Line St. around Ashely Ave. Are those safe areas in terms of crimes and floods?

If not those areas, do you guys recommend other parts that I might want to try?

I am looking for $1000 to $1600 price range / month.

Some of the other locations people recommended were some where on Daniel Island or Mt. Pleasant, but I wasn't really given a specific neighborhood/streets to look at. Any good recommendations would be very, very helpful! =)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
I think that you might be bored on Daniel Island. I could be wrong, but it seems more like a family place. As far as Mount Pleasant, living near Shem Creek would be great for a single guy. There are several bar/restaurants on Shem Creek. I know some of the single women at work like to go to Red's.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:27 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
If you were to plug in your price range online to find a rental in Mt Pleasant, 99.9% you won't have to worry about that neighborhood having crime. We are moving from West Ashley to MP in January bc there's so much more going on in that area as far as shopping and dining and the proximity to downtown and beaches. I'd check out MP if I were you

Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 PM

16 posts, read 30,832 times
Hey OP I work for Boeing as well. I should be in Charleston in June of 2014. I'll be watching this thread, too.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKorea View Post
Hello folks,

I will be moving to the Charleston area to work as a supplier for Boeing for at least a year around mid to late August. I am an active, and mid 20's single male, looking to meet a lot of new people my age. I've been searching around these forums and other resources and I think I've narrowed down my choices to rent either downtown area or Avondale in West Ashely for the purposes of proximity of night life / commute to work / local interests. I do realize downtown will be a little more hectic for traveling to the plant. For night life, I do not plan to party every week or weekend for that matter, but I would like to be in walking distance of single-friendly places if I do go out.

My question for downtown is where are the crime zones? I've already been down here on and off for a few months and from some of the people, they told me where crime is bad, it's bad. Some of the places I'm looking at is Huger St in between Meeting St. and King St. Also is Line St. around Ashely Ave. Are those safe areas in terms of crimes and floods?

Some of the other locations people recommended were some where on Daniel Island or Mt. Pleasant, but I wasn't really given a specific neighborhood/streets to look at. Any good recommendations would be very, very helpful! =)

Thanks!
You already picked a couple of cool areas. No need to keep searching. Regarding crime, I'm friends with a cop who works the downtown, north of Market St area (Team 2). You're generally good as long as you stay out of the east side. He mentions that most crime there has a lot to do with people that know each other.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
You already picked a couple of cool areas. No need to keep searching. Regarding crime, I'm friends with a cop who works the downtown, north of Market St area (Team 2). You're generally good as long as you stay out of the east side. He mentions that most crime there has a lot to do with people that know each other.
I also think you've picked some good places. I agree with who said Daniel Island might be boring. It's a nice place but it's definitely more family-oriented. You'd have to leave the island for nightlife and things to do, along with lots of good restaurants. I think downtown or Avondale would be really good for you and you can definitely find something in your range for rent.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKorea View Post
Hello folks,

Thanks!
Captain,
Boeing is next to the airport in North Charleston , so it won't be bad commuting from downtown or Avondale/west ashley. Both are cool areas like people said. The East side downtown under the bridge is bad and unsafe. Avondale is much safer than some parts of Line and Huger Streets. There are students that live in those areas (college of charleston), but they are right next to crime ridden areas.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:57 PM

183 posts, read 356,767 times
I can't imagine how commuting to the airport from Avondale would be anything but a PITA.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:53 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
I can't imagine how commuting to the airport from Avondale would be anything but a PITA.
It's no problem at all - go up St Andrews and follow it to the North Bridge, then I-26 towards the airport. 15 minutes.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 AM

183 posts, read 356,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
It's no problem at all - go up St Andrews and follow it to the North Bridge, then I-26 towards the airport. 15 minutes.
Yeah, I guess you are going the opposite way of the traffic so it wouldn't be bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area