Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 08:51 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times

Advertisements

Construction employment declined in South Carolina’s three major metro areas between November 2013 and November 2014, according to an analysis of federal employment data released by the Associated General Contractors of America.

The Charleston metro area was hardest hit, recording a 5% decline in jobs over the 12-month stretch. The Charleston market industry employed 14,400 workers in November compared with 15,100 for the same month in 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:56 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Construction employment declined in South Carolina’s three major metro areas between November 2013 and November 2014, according to an analysis of federal employment data released by the Associated General Contractors of America.

The Charleston metro area was hardest hit, recording a 5% decline in jobs over the 12-month stretch. The Charleston market industry employed 14,400 workers in November compared with 15,100 for the same month in 2013.
Which is odd.... especially considering all the huge projects going on, this year will be the start of Courier square and the Horizon district, along with dozens of smaller projects.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:40 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
I wish a cheesecake factory would pop up out of one of the construction sites.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Which is odd.... especially considering all the huge projects going on, this year will be the start of Courier square and the Horizon district, along with dozens of smaller projects.

That seems odd to me too. Most of the contractors I know are pretty busy. Remodeling has definitely stepped up as people feel more confident about the economy and especially about their house value.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:08 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I wish a cheesecake factory would pop up out of one of the construction sites.
Citadel Mall seems like the perfect place...if they hurry up and redevelop it. Of course Mt Pleasant is the most logical, but they seem to shoot down everything now a days.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
Source:
http://columbiabusinessreport.mappsi...ro-areas?rss=0

Old 01-26-2015, 12:36 PM

How is the Bass Pro construction going? I thought it was going to be open in 2016, but thats the Upstate store. N Chas' one is slated to open this year. Also werent they supposed to be building a new exit up there? I drove past there last on 26 last weekend and didnt really notice much.

And speaking of BPS, how is Ingleside coming along, anyone know? Cant wait to see what other retailers and attractions land there. Costco? Great Wolf Lodge? Dave and Busters? Cheesecake Factory? Red Robin? Cinebistro? Who knows. I mean what if...what if...they landed...IKEA!?

I can dream, I can dream, but with this, Nexton, Ceter Pointe, Park West, Cane Bay, and Horizon, and hopefully a redevel of Citadel Mall, things retail/restaurant/attraction/lodging/housing wise are looking really really good for us. Im just surprised that part if N Chas has managed to stay undeveloped for so long.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 01-26-2015 at 12:51 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 02:04 PM

288 posts, read 494,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

Who knows. I mean what if...what if...they landed...IKEA!?
I know the current IKEA business model dictates that they only build in "metro areas" with a minimum population of 1.5-1.75 million people. However, I was told they are experimenting with smaller stores (less showroom space), that could be developed in smaller areas for a wider reach. Apparently, they want to significantly expand their store presence in the US in 2015-2020. There's still hope...

Old 01-26-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRadV View Post
I know the current IKEA business model dictates that they only build in "metro areas" with a minimum population of 1.5-1.75 million people. However, I was told they are experimenting with smaller stores (less showroom space), that could be developed in smaller areas for a wider reach. Apparently, they want to significantly expand their store presence in the US in 2015-2020. There's still hope...
Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. i know about the population thing, but I know they also like thinking geographically - one reason theyre going to Memphis. When you consider all the visitors theyd get from here, Columbia, Savannah, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, etc. and tourists, it adds to a good population. And Charleston would stay out of Charlotte and Atlanta's way, compared to Greenville or Columbia if IKEA were to go there. But I figured if they came here, It'd be in a smaller store, which isnt bad, just how it is.

The developer of Ingleside said a while back that he had "big boxes lined up and in discussion", so hopefully it wasn't a bunch of bull. IKEA or no IKEA, I just hope they land some quality, exclusive to Charleston and SC parcels, like Greenville has done, and not the same old, same old.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:03 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
From what i hear about Ikea they like building out in the middle of nowhere so that when people do show up they force themselves to buy something to justify the drive. Based off that I'd say likely areas for one are John's Island, Awendaw and out near Monck's Corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area