Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 08:00 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Not liking that building either- it looks like it should be a medical center in Miami.

This is what originally won the competition:
http://www.arch.virginia.edu/files/s...s/clemson1.jpg

WG Clark unfortunately backed out because he felt the contract from the state was too open ended & he would be left on the hook for countless unpaid redesigns if it had any issues (design, approval or even due to code changes/foundation issues- which happen when a town is built on a swamp.) It looked better in renderings since you had a better sense of what was actually visible at street level and material colors/textures. That left side was mostly copper so when it aged it would corrode to green and blend in with the greenery/foliage.
How dare you infer that Charleston is built on a swamp! Actually, it's marsh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 AM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
How dare you infer that Charleston is built on a swamp! Actually, it's marsh...
I thought it was a landfill?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I thought it was a landfill?
Also true. They dumped whatever there to build up the marsh into the prime real estate you see today.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:56 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,210,635 times
I think of the edges- and anything South of Tradd/West of Rutledge or Ashley as marsh- but the interior of the peninsula as more swampy. One of my first projects was a house just south of South of Colonial lake and a large portion of the budget was going towards the foundation on an addition and shoring up the existing home. The wife wanted to know why we were so focused on that. About the 20th time she asked my boss finally told her that for all we knew her house sat on top of sawdust and 1910 used tires.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:08 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
The Magnolia (PUD) Neck Area Project went back before the Chas Planning Commission this past week seeking approval for changes to the development. It appears the project is being downsized in scope.

The project is now proposed to have 3,500 housing units; 850,000 s/ft office; 420,000 s/ft commercial and 690 hotel rooms. The total developable area is 134 acres which will include include a public park along the Ashley River.

I believe the previously approved PUD was to have 4,200 housing units.

I didn't see any mention in the PUD document concerning the type of housing units that will be built but it's all multi-family low-rise dwellings.

It doesn't appear construction will begin before 2016 since the site still needs soil remediation which will continue thru 2015.

The PUD document is still on the city's website for viewing.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:18 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Also true. They dumped whatever there to build up the marsh into the prime real estate you see today.
No really I think a large part of what currently is downtown Charleston was the city's landfill. Not because they were building it up, but because they needed a place to dump their garbage.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:20 PM

Looks very nice
http://sc-charleston.civicplus.com/A.../11192014-1089

Old 11-23-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I think of the edges- and anything South of Tradd/West of Rutledge or Ashley as marsh- but the interior of the peninsula as more swampy. One of my first projects was a house just south of South of Colonial lake and a large portion of the budget was going towards the foundation on an addition and shoring up the existing home. The wife wanted to know why we were so focused on that. About the 20th time she asked my boss finally told her that for all we knew her house sat on top of sawdust and 1910 used tires.
Lol, I would have liked to see her face!

One thing I recently learned... I always thought the main difference between swamp and marsh was between fresh and salt water. But now I've read it's more about whether it supports trees (swamp) or grasses (marsh). So you might be right about some of the peninsula being more swamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
No really I think a large part of what currently is downtown Charleston was the city's landfill. Not because they were building it up, but because they needed a place to dump their garbage.
I guess I imagined it as a landfill first and later, conveniently, something people could build up further and start living on. It's pretty amazing when you think about what some of those houses are built on and how long they've been there.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:40 PM

Hasn't been anything posted recently so i figure this is better than nothing.
$3M gift to expand SC aquarium's turtle hospital - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Another small thing for Wando High School
http://www.moultrienews.com/article/...141029691/1014

Last edited by Ledmonkey; 11-28-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 07:26 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Hasn't been anything posted recently so i figure this is better than nothing.
$3M gift to expand SC aquarium's turtle hospital - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather
Awesome!

The city also recently approved spending $2M to replace the aquarium's HVAC system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area