Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2023, 11:25 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,065,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
The bike/ped bridge has always been about recreation - like the bike/ped path on the Ravenel bridge. I'm not sure the goal of it was ever to significantly reduce traffic.

The state determined that the added weight from appending a bike/ped path to the outside of the existing drawbridge would cause problems with the drawbridge functionality. Plus, the City and DOT experimented with closing a lane on the bridge, and that caused traffic problems all the way back to Maybank.

New bridges would have been nice, but apparently replacements are not even on the DOT's radar, as in there are not even plans to study the feasibility of replacements.

I'm glad to see the funding go through for this, and I'm grateful this bridge has so much top level support. I know there are some upgrades to the Greenway planned to help accommodate some of the anticipated increase in bike/ped traffic.
I guess what confuses me is how the contractor selection was made and a cost number determined ($74M)
when the bridge design is not completed which will take another year.

I do believe the bridge will get alot of usage once completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 11:44 AM

Johns Island will be getting its first hospital with planning underway to construct it in the area of Maybank Hwy and Cain Slash Road.

The hospital will be operated by Trident Health.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:09 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
The bike/ped bridge has always been about recreation - like the bike/ped path on the Ravenel bridge. I'm not sure the goal of it was ever to significantly reduce traffic.

The state determined that the added weight from appending a bike/ped path to the outside of the existing drawbridge would cause problems with the drawbridge functionality. Plus, the City and DOT experimented with closing a lane on the bridge, and that caused traffic problems all the way back to Maybank.

New bridges would have been nice, but apparently replacements are not even on the DOT's radar, as in there are not even plans to study the feasibility of replacements.

I'm glad to see the funding go through for this, and I'm grateful this bridge has so much top level support. I know there are some upgrades to the Greenway planned to help accommodate some of the anticipated increase in bike/ped traffic.
I can't imagine it will significantly reduce traffic but I can easily see hundreds of people per day using it to bike to work. Or walk from the VA commuter lot and the apartment building next to the Herbert Fielding connector.

Traffic and parking have gotten bad enough that it might be feasible for those who live close in. I take the bus every blue moon and it is really not much worse than driving because of how long it takes me to get to/wind through/walk from my assigned parking garage. For people who have truly remote garages or lots it might be an improvement. (Just to acknowledge- this is catching the bus before 8 not having to play the guessing game of arrival for later loops.)

Old 10-26-2023, 05:55 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,609 times
https://www.live5news.com/2023/10/25...-anson-street/

Old 11-06-2023, 07:40 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,609 times
Magnolia Project is back on track.

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...wsletter-popup

Old 11-06-2023, 06:21 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,956,479 times
I'm incredibly dissapointed that Glenn Mcconnell is getting widened instead of just giving it overpasses where needed in order to always keep traffic moving.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:02 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I'm incredibly dissapointed that Glenn Mcconnell is getting widened instead of just giving it overpasses where needed in order to always keep traffic moving.
I imagine it is cheaper to add lanes on the ground than it is to construct overpasses which are ridiculously expensive in this area. Even Mt Pleasant only added two overpasses when they basically reconfigured about 8 miles of Hwy 17.

Old 11-07-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Magnolia has been on track for the past year or so working on site soil remediation. Hopefully though start seeing some vertical construction.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,686,741 times
I'd be curious as to the funding. I've read that commercial loans are hard right now.

Old 11-07-2023, 01:31 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,311 times
I'm wondering what will happen if we go into a recession next year. The original Magnolia Project died in the 2008 recession. I doubt we're heading into anything like that next year but at least a mild recession seems likely to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area