Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:40 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,051,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Good lord. WTF is wrong with people? That is so sad. You're paying for those school buses!
You know, it's cool if the school is on the parents' way to work, if that's just what they choose to do, etc. Nothing wrong with parents driving their kids, but it really got on my nerves to see car line being touted as a class symbol. Many of those same parents constantly complained about waiting in the car line as well, only to get the reaction about how great it was that they were sacrificing that time to wait on their children so their children did not have to ride a bus.

My first reaction moving here was that it was pretty cool that so many kids rode the bus and their parents chose to let them. I guess it's just what you're used to, where and when you grew up, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 08:47 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
You know, it's cool if the school is on the parents' way to work, if that's just what they choose to do, etc. Nothing wrong with parents driving their kids, but it really got on my nerves to see car line being touted as a class symbol. Many of those same parents constantly complained about waiting in the car line as well, only to get the reaction about how great it was that they were sacrificing that time to wait on their children so their children did not have to ride a bus.

My first reaction moving here was that it was pretty cool that so many kids rode the bus and their parents chose to let them. I guess it's just what you're used to, where and when you grew up, etc.
I think a lot of parents are remembering their own school bus days back when it was a bit of this Wild West and they weren't so strict. When my daughter was young and I first contemplated letting her ride the bus, that was my thought. Once I learned they didn't mix the ages and rules were pretty strictly enforced, I had no qualms with letting her ride. It was so much easier too!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:54 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,321,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post

So true. The status symbol crap is garbage. I rode the bus as a child. Everyone else did. On the way makes sense. Out of the way does not. IMO

Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,359,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think a lot of parents are remembering their own school bus days back when it was a bit of this Wild West and they weren't so strict. When my daughter was young and I first contemplated letting her ride the bus, that was my thought. Once I learned they didn't mix the ages and rules were pretty strictly enforced, I had no qualms with letting her ride. It was so much easier too!
This is and spending time with the kids are the two largest reasons parents I know drive their kids. Sometimes, especially with the young ones, the kids really push to be driven. No parent I know looks at waiting in car line as a status symbol. That actually made me laugh.

Diddly, I can appreciate being a female and not wanting to be called darling, but I do feel it's part of the culture. I'm sure in a few more generations it will be gone. Just like saying Ma'm and Sir have been tokens of respect in southern culture for years, but sadly it to is being seen less and less as more non southerners migrate south.

Personally the who 'Darling Daughter/Husband/Son' thing I see some women do seems overly pretentious.

If you're not in the left lane... Carry on. I'm just a big fan of the old rule, slower traffic keep right regardless of speed limit.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
We pick up and drop off because we can....because they have to get their early to do extra work,because some of their classes start at 7:30 and there is no buse, because they are carrying a sousa phone, or a 50 lb. book bag, because we are going right by the place and it makes no sense to have a kid ride a bus for 45 minutes when we are driving by the school and can be there in 15 minues, Because they have to be back at the school for extra curricular activities 30 minutes after the bus would drop them off and it takes 20 minutes to get to the school (I'll do the math for you -- they would spend 45 minutes on the bus to run in, drop their stuff off, spend 10 minutes and run out the door).....because they have an appointment, because (as pointed out) some of the best times to connect with your kids is in the car.......

Old 08-30-2014, 02:28 PM

I can't think of any one thing and definitely not a list -- LOL. Sure there's stuff when it happens I get frustrated or can't believe the human nature or behavior but never enough to register it in my brain and keep it. Something happens and I go -- dang I don't get that or that bugs me and then oh look the sunis shining -- and that thought is gone.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:36 PM

I tend to drive fast and like to. But a driver has to be comfortable and if they need to do the speed limit on any road...that's their choice. Yes they should have common sense to move to the right but I've noticed that often the person in the left lane doing their slow and steady drive are hanging on to that wheel for life. They aren't comfortable changing lanes. Also -- my son is a relatively new driver --- that drive to school in the morning he needs to get over to the left lane early in order not to have to try and squeeze in. If he does that and has to do the speed limit.....so be it.

I am a very impatient driver. I watch the lights and am ready to GO when it turns green. I'm anticipating three next moves as I'm making my move. I am constantly watching where the other cars and gauging if I get behind that car I will slow down....BUT......I've come to realize I am not saving any real time and it is better just to relax and drive and not be so impatient about getting to my destination. Does that stop me from trying to get there one second faster....probably not........lol.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:41 PM

Most parents I know that insist on driving their kids it is less about a 'status' thing and more about a safety thing. I never really drove my kids until we moved to Mt. Pleasant and have more time and I am going to the school anyways to help. My son is a senior, has a license and still takes the bus on some days

Old 08-30-2014, 06:26 PM

116 posts, read 108,166 times
What's with tween/teen boys wearing black, calf-high socks and boat shoes with their outfits even if it doesn't match AT ALL? It looks idiotic as heck

Old 08-30-2014, 06:28 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khohf View Post
What's with tween/teen boys wearing black, calf-high socks and boat shoes with their outfits even if it doesn't match AT ALL? It looks idiotic as heck
Omg I saw that last year and I thought the same... Horrible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area