Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 AM

44 posts, read 48,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
To the person who said MP is all strip malls, highways and subdivisions, that's really not a fair assessment. If you were here for a short time, breezed in and out you'd likely get that impression.

As big as it is, even with no core "downtown" there is still somehow a smaller town feel. There's a great farmer's market, a beautiful historic area - Old Village - Shem Creek for kayak rental, drinks, boat rentals and dinner on the water, Boone Hall Plantation that has events year round and is a working plantation, and great parks like Waterfront Park.

Just a personal take, but we love the area around Coleman the best. To us it has more of a homey feel to it than the stretch of 17 heading North that seems busier and has more traffic. Not traffic jams, just traffic. There's a difference.
You're right, it's not an entirely fair assessment.

Mt. Pleasant does actually have 2 parts: the older, original part of Mt. Pleasant around Coleman blvd and Old Village, the newer Mt. Pleasant north of 526.

I would say that Coleman Blvd could actually be considered the downtown of Mt. Pleasant. It is part of the older, original part of the 'city' and is really the only part of town that you actually see people walking around to the locally-owned restaurants and bars that are around as opposed to driving. It's also close to Old Village which is an older dense neighborhood. It also where a lot of the proposed denser, mixed-use and commercial space is proposed to be built. Definitely the most desirable part of the Mt. Pleasant and I believe the most expensive. There's also I'On on the other side of 17, which is sort of a new-construction pseudo-downtown neighborhood type of thing which is a lot of young professionals and I from what I hear very pricey.

Mt. Pleasant north of 526 is more the town center/strip mall and subdivision part of town. Home to a lot of national chain stores and cookie cutter HOA developments. It reminds me a lot of Northern Virginia. This area is extremely car dependent with a ton of new construction, therefor more affordable though I'm not sure to what extent. Pretty much the definition of suburbs.

I suppose you can count the annexed part of Awendaw as a third part of Mt. Pleasant, but I'm not sure if that really counts.

Last edited by thcecchi; 07-19-2015 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 04:48 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,800,658 times
IMO your second section should start way inside 526.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Yes Mt. Pleasant is a bedroom community with various lifestyle choices for living and lots of conveniences.

Some parts are charming, some parts aren't.

Kind of like 100% of places in the world.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:05 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,359,085 times
It's funny, going down Coleman and you'll see several strip malls. Seems to me there's more compressed strip mall and businesses on Coleman than on 17 past IOP. 17 to the bridge is a different story. The main reason the Old Village is more desirable is due to location more than anything else.

thcecchi is partially correct on the subdivision statement North of 526. There are subdivisions that are 'cookie cutter', but there are many many custom home subdivisions as well. They tend to follow more modern architectural designs as they were built more recently, but they are no more cookie cutter than the Old Village is (unless you count the Old Village as cookie cutter because a vast majority of the homes are single story ranch with 8' ceilings).

Old 07-20-2015, 03:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,958,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
It's funny, going down Coleman and you'll see several strip malls. Seems to me there's more compressed strip mall and businesses on Coleman than on 17 past IOP. 17 to the bridge is a different story. The main reason the Old Village is more desirable is due to location more than anything else.

thcecchi is partially correct on the subdivision statement North of 526. There are subdivisions that are 'cookie cutter', but there are many many custom home subdivisions as well. They tend to follow more modern architectural designs as they were built more recently, but they are no more cookie cutter than the Old Village is (unless you count the Old Village as cookie cutter because a vast majority of the homes are single story ranch with 8' ceilings).
I don't really find old village to be cookie cutter, but I don't exactly find it charming either. Just a bunch of 70's and 80's ranches you can find anywhere in the country But much more expensive.

Coleman is a beautiful street but the houses surrounding it are nothing to write home about. Aside from the Boulevard, I don't really find the area that walkable either. It's no Downtown Charleston. Maybe I've just been on the wrong streets but I kinda find most of old village kinda of dumpy looking.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:56 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,014,330 times
There's a big difference between Old Village and Old Mount Pleasant.

Old Mount Pleasant has the small brick ranch homes you are talking about, and yes, some of the area isn't that attractive.

Old Village is gorgeous. Beautiful old homes that are architecturally stunning, and "smaller" adorable homes. Pitt Street is a really cute street with the Rexall Drug Store - reminds me of when I was a kid and we had one in town - and some other little shops, the Village Bakery which has very good food, The Old Village Post House - great place to sleep/eat, and the surrounding streets.

Pitt Street bridge is a great place for views, Alhambra Hall is a beautiful spot, and there's another park off of Pitt St with some old really interesting original buildings.

Old Village isn't huge, but it's very charming and quaint and a great place to walk after dinner at the Post House - you can walk to the water and sit on one of the benches.

I like Coleman a lot, and some of the businesses on Coleman - Southern Season, Bottles, Nadeau, Steven Shell. It's not really that walkable, and not sure how they will make a "Main Street" out of it since it's mostly strip malls. But it's a great central area. Love that part of Mount Pleasant.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,958,149 times
I always see old mount pleasant and old village interchanged with other, but I agree there's a huge difference. Old village usually has nothing for sale and when they are its $$$$.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:07 PM

3,592 posts, read 4,359,085 times
When I got a speeding ticket for doing 38 in a 25 on McCants right after I crossed Coleman, the police office was kind enough to tell me that the speed limit in all of the Old Village was 25. So it went from 35 on Rifle Range to 25 crossing Coleman. I later found out this was happy hunting grounds for MtP PD.

Anyway, he told me the Old Village zone ran all the way to Center Street.

What Macalan said makes sense though. Certainly the homes around Pitt and the historic original portions of MtP are more 'custom', but the prices in this area are more than most can afford. But, this is a very small area over all.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:51 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,014,330 times
Yes - prices are extremely high in Old Village for the historic homes, and from what I have heard, flood insurance in that area is out of sight. The area was under 6 feet of water during Hugo.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Old Mt. Pleasant is the village -- or that's what all my friends who live in the Old Mt. Pleasant say. And they all don't live in a stately home that has deep water access. Most live in an average sized bungalow and have been there for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area