Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:43 AM

295 posts, read 297,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
It's interesting that most of these cities are up north. How does that walkability work out in the winter? It seems like that would be comparable to biking here in the summer.
Having moved from one of the cities on the list, everyone is used to the snow/cold. That or just add alcohol to the situation. Stumbling on the ice is the norm.

That being said, walkability is still relative. I know a lot of the neighborhoods they speak of in the article, and I wouldn't say they are any more walkable than King. But as supply and demand dictates, people aren't rushing to get to Rochester or Buffalo like they are Charleston or Austin.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:22 PM

44 posts, read 48,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
But as supply and demand dictates, people aren't rushing to get to Rochester or Buffalo like they are Charleston or Austin.
Yeah this is really the bottom line. There's a large influx of people coming to Charleston. Not only does population growth call for changes in city design, but as population grows the culture and fabric of a city changes, because people bring with them different ideals and opinions on the place they now live.

This discussion isn't about intentionally replicating the Northeast city experience, its about planning for a growing population.

The fact of the matter is that roads have limitations. The LA highway system worked great for the city until it had too many people on it.

It's really very simple. There's a huge number of people moving here who want a more urban experience. These people range from 20-somethings to retirees. They want to live near bars and restaurants. Consumer preference in transportation is changing simply because walkable/bikable mobility is a much, much more efficient and enjoyable experience in places where peoples preference is to live near the urban core. Some people may not agree with it, but that's the way that cities of all sizes are going.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:33 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,727 times
Quote:
It's interesting that most of these cities are up north. How does that walkability work out in the winter? It seems like that would be comparable to biking here in the summer.
I wouldn't want to live any any of those cities (hey I'm here and not there), but when it's cold in places that are walkable, people bundle up and walk. There's somewhat of a bonding experience involved that is nice, also.
Not nice enough to live there, but still nice.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:23 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,329,165 times
Quote:
I know it may be hard to believe, but living in Rochester I actually really enjoy walking during the winter time. With a winter coat on and a hat, the cold temperature is really not a big deal at all and the cold air is very refreshing. Cold air is full of oxygen so it may sound odd, but it really makes you feel wide awake with the cold air and dense oxygen. Walking out of my stuffy office building after a long day of work into the winter air is just so refreshing.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I know it may be hard to believe, but living in Rochester I actually really enjoy walking during the winter time. With a winter coat on and a hat, the cold temperature is really not a big deal at all and the cold air is very refreshing. Cold air is full of oxygen so it may sound odd, but it really makes you feel wide awake with the cold air and dense oxygen. Walking out of my stuffy office building after a long day of work into the winter air is just so refreshing.
Sounds like rationalizing to me.

This was the last picture I took of Rochester before moving one April morning:

Pass.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:48 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thcecchi View Post
It's really very simple. There's a huge number of people moving here who want a more urban experience. These people range from 20-somethings to retirees. They want to live near bars and restaurants. Consumer preference in transportation is changing simply because walkable/bikable mobility is a much, much more efficient and enjoyable experience in places where peoples preference is to live near the urban core. Some people may not agree with it, but that's the way that cities of all sizes are going.
Pretty much - nearly all of the 20-30 somethings we know would like to live somewhere closer in. Most of the ones we know who end up in traffic in outer suburbia are there because of cost and because it's what's available, not becase it's necessarially what they want.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Pretty much - nearly all of the 20-30 somethings we know would like to live somewhere closer in. Most of the ones we know who end up in traffic in outer suburbia are there because of cost and because it's what's available, not becase it's necessarially what they want.
Yup -- exactly.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:38 AM

Well there's always the "lifetime flop", when you say yes to having kids and "living downtown close to bars and restaurants" becomes "I don't want to raise an apartment-kid".

I'm the poster boy for it! I wanted to live in Old City, Philadelphia, then our son popped out and it became Yard Close to the Ocean, South Carolina.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:11 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,329,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
Sounds like rationalizing to me.

This was the last picture I took of Rochester before moving one April morning

Pass.
Rationalizing? You took a picture of a snowy day. You do realize that snow doesn't hurt you when you walk in it right? The town's generally do a good job of plowing sideways and are 100% walkable in the winter time. And walking outside during a snowy day and looking at the beautiful snow is one of my favorite things to do. I don't need to "rationalize" it. I enjoy it.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Rationalizing? You took a picture of a snowy day. You do realize that snow doesn't hurt you when you walk in it right? The town's generally do a good job of plowing sideways and are 100% walkable in the winter time. And walking outside during a snowy day and looking at the beautiful snow is one of my favorite things to do. I don't need to "rationalize" it. I enjoy it.
Lived there for 30 years. No thanks. Bad enough my family still lives there and I don't even like to visit the place, let alone any of NYS. *Sigh* Must do it for mom, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area