Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:13 PM

295 posts, read 296,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Fixed that for ya

Old 11-18-2015, 12:14 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
I think people just want to be able to walk to their favorite restaurants without Ma and Pa Missoura getting in the way of their seersucker stroll, even though 80% of those restaurants wouldn't exist without tourists.
True. How many locals will you find at Bubba Gumps?

Old 11-18-2015, 02:06 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
1st line of business: Scrap the Ashley River Bike Lane
2. Give downtown owners more parking privileges and work on alternate transportation for CofC students (hopefully eventually limiting their parking privileges)

It's been a crappy year for the progressives. Let's hope it continues for a long time.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:00 PM

259 posts, read 453,989 times
It's true that the main approaches to town are way fugly! The veggie lab is pleasant enough but then Bam! Ugly anywhere USA sprawl. Rolling in from 26 is just as ugly and reminds me of Jersey.

Not much can be done to lipstick the Savannah Highway pig. It will take decades but perhaps the low line plan and redeveloping the blighted abandoned industry along 26 will improve one day.....far after Tburg is gone.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
2. Give downtown owners more parking privileges and work on alternate transportation for CofC students (hopefully eventually limiting their parking privileges)

It's been a crappy year for the progressives. Let's hope it continues for a long time.
Yeah lets punish the students thats paying 5 G's a year to come here, right?...how about ask for more parking garages???

Students have places to get to, to... A true progressing attitude would be to build more parking for everyone (students, residents, tourists, and workers), and not "eliminate parking for everyone but residents."

News flash, us students are residents too. I get monthly bills from SCEandG and put Charleston on my mail just like you.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 11-18-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 05:42 PM

295 posts, read 296,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
News flash, us students are residents too. I get monthly bills from SCEandG and put Charleston on my mail just like you.
I've agreed with a lot of what you have said over the past week, but on this we disagree. Students are not more than temporary renters. They don't invest in anything here and attempt to abuse their privilege of being "present" within municipal boundaries to influence votes then bail years later. Shelling out $5,000 for classes and to use a room filled with dated tapestries, a mini fridge, a George Foreman Grill, and a collection of beer bottle caps you find colorful and original does not make you Charleston, nor any of the metro area. You're the longer-term equivalent of a relative coming to stay at your house for a week and trying to change the color scheme of the bathroom.

No offense, but this same story is repeated over and over again, on C-D, reddit, City paper. "I'M A RESIDENT, TOO!" Yet, they blast conservatives, bash anyone that doesn't like Bernie Sanders, and complain about the high prices of restaurants, rent, and everything else in the area considered the norm for residents. "WAHHHH Cocktail Club is too expensive!!!" says no Charleston RESIDENT ever.

I've been through under and post graduate school and I would never consider myself a resident of any of the places I stayed for school. I was taught that purchasing/investing in property is another story. If you think your opinion is as equal as someone like Chs2014 or the infamous poster William Hamilton (he posts on every local dispute in City Paper and the P&C), you're wrong. Those people are Charleston.

Call me when you have contributed to local campaigns and invested in local companies to the tune of at least a few thousand. Or at least have a mortgage.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:23 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
1st line of business: Scrap the Ashley River Bike Lane

Why is advancing the QoL in the city a bad thing? I don't care/know about downtown college parking but the bike land should be fine so long as it's blocked off from the main road like the Ravenel Bridge bike lane.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah lets punish the students thats paying 5 G's a year to come here, right?...how about ask for more parking garages???

Students have places to get to, to... A true progressing attitude would be to build more parking for everyone (students, residents, tourists, and workers), and not "eliminate parking for everyone but residents."

The overall plan is too:

1. Introduce resident-only parking in busy areas where our citizens most often struggle to find available spaces (So that includes areas around CofC)

2. Expand residential parking permits to ensure that our residents have the parking opportunities they need.

3. Work with our colleges, schools and businesses to promote the use of public transit and decrease parking requirements...

It's time for you to give up that combustible engine and hop on a 21 speed.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
The overall plan is too:

1. Introduce resident-only parking in busy areas where our citizens most often struggle to find available spaces (So that includes areas around CofC)

2. Expand residential parking permits to ensure that our residents have the parking opportunities they need.

3. Work with our colleges, schools and businesses to promote the use of public transit and decrease parking requirements...

It's time for you to give up that combustible engine and hop on a 21 speed.
Or....you could give up that combustible engine and hop on a 21 speed.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Or....you could give up that combustible engine and hop on a 21 speed.
I use my car less often than you think, I'm a big proponent of a more walk able Chs. IMO it brings communities together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area