Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:30 AM

6 posts, read 27,040 times

Advertisements

Well said, Charleston to Hilton Head is apples to oranges. I prefer Charleston to Savannah for a lot of reasons. Savannah is more of a wild city compared to Charleston. Savannah has people drinking on the streets, singing publicly about marijuana, really promotes the hippy life style. A lot of homeless people living in Savannah. That being said, Savannah is very tourist friendly and I know a lot of people who prefer it over Charleston. Savannah centralizes the tourism down by the river. I felt like it was crawling with tourists. Charleston gives the feel that you are part of a functioning southern city and not live stock bumping shoulder to shoulder. Charleston has better dining and is more oriented to the water lifestyle. There is no "river walk" but most of the sights are best seen from the harbor. Savannah's river walk, junk dealers can also be found on Charleston's Market Street, but there are 10xs as many. Charleston has an amazing, world class aquarium and a must larger/more historic civil war fort. The buildings and homes in Charleston are more interesting architecturally. To Savannah's credit, it stays open much later, even in the off season. Charleston closes pretty early and the activity shifts to the restaurants. I was underwhelmed with Hilton Head and especially Tybee Island. Tybee is similar to Charleston's Folly Beach. Folly and Tybee attract the biker, booze, pot smoking hippy crowd. There is nothing wrong with that, just know what you're getting into. Hilton Head is larger and more commercialized than Kiawah and really doesn't compare. Hilton Head is a nice family vacation spot, but I can't see the appeal in living there compared to Kiawah or Seabrook Island with there close proximity to Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times
I am retiring and considering Hilton Head or Delray Beach, FL. I live in Atlanta so HH would be an advantage to be close to family. Have visited there many times for vacation, and plan on doing lots of photography and painting. Will visit again to see how I feel about it. Has so many advantages, but FL is also attractive-loved Delray Beach area.
Any suggestions?

Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,830 times
Love to visit Hilton Head, but I would have to agree..to live there would seem a bit boring. Lots of culture, nightlife, etc in Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area