Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:14 PM

14 posts, read 17,660 times

Advertisements

Appreciate the comments and ideas. There's some really smart people on these forums. I do enjoy living closer to Cape Romain, Bulls Bay, and the Wando. There are some great spots to launch boats from this side of town as well as many landslide fishing places. Of course you know how crowded the ramps are on Saturdays; ugh. Yea, you're right, it is a little about Dad, but also bringing up the kids with an appreciation for the outdoors. Some of the developments like Brickyard also have a boat ramp and I'm looking at these as possible options. Don't need deep water, just enough water for a skiff. Have to check out the magnet schools. Buist has a great rep. Private schools are only possible for me with a cheaper non-waterfront house. And I hope to quit/retire from one of my jobs next summer. Love our friends modest house in W. Ashley with a dock though. Yes, the wife is the one I have to convince. Not opposed to townhomes either. There's a nice affordable one with a dock and lift across from Crosby's near Folly. And that's James island schools. No outdoor play area for the kids though. I guess that's what it comes down to. Doing what's best for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 06:18 AM

252 posts, read 264,624 times
Is homeschooling an option? I know homeschooling gets a bad rap sometimes, but a good education can definitely be had. Some family friends homeschooled their daughter and she was accepted into Harvard Medical School a couple of years ago.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:47 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,358,136 times
Dry stack your boat. Look for purchase options instead of leasing.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:55 AM

515 posts, read 482,591 times
Property taxes are super low here compared to the NE, and one big reason is tax money isn't funding the schools. It seems that the shortfall is tasked to fundraising. Luckily, there's plenty of wealth in Mt P, and the kids will certainly have whatever they need.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:12 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
Property taxes are super low here compared to the NE, and one big reason is tax money isn't funding the schools. It seems that the shortfall is tasked to fundraising. Luckily, there's plenty of wealth in Mt P, and the kids will certainly have whatever they need.
School funding is a very small factor of school performance. After a certain level of funding, it's diminishing returns. Too much funding and school districts just get loosy goosey with the checkbook and do stupid stuff like buy iPads for kindergarteners and wifi on buses. Good schools are the result of motivated parents interested in good schools. No amount of spending can create motivation where there is none.
Your taxes do pay for schools. Charleston County residents just voted for more taxes to pay for more new schools and libraries.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:30 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,436,661 times
There is a way to get your kids in a good school, while living on Johns island and enjoying the beautiful Stono River. You just have to work to get them inter transferred. Many parents on Johns Island send their kids to schools on James Island or West Ashley.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:26 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindFisherman View Post
Appreciate the comments and ideas. There's some really smart people on these forums. I do enjoy living closer to Cape Romain, Bulls Bay, and the Wando. There are some great spots to launch boats from this side of town as well as many landslide fishing places. Of course you know how crowded the ramps are on Saturdays; ugh. Yea, you're right, it is a little about Dad, but also bringing up the kids with an appreciation for the outdoors. Some of the developments like Brickyard also have a boat ramp and I'm looking at these as possible options. Don't need deep water, just enough water for a skiff. Have to check out the magnet schools. Buist has a great rep. Private schools are only possible for me with a cheaper non-waterfront house. And I hope to quit/retire from one of my jobs next summer. Love our friends modest house in W. Ashley with a dock though. Yes, the wife is the one I have to convince. Not opposed to townhomes either. There's a nice affordable one with a dock and lift across from Crosby's near Folly. And that's James island schools. No outdoor play area for the kids though. I guess that's what it comes down to. Doing what's best for them.
One place to check school ratings is GreatSchools.org. Note that Murray Lasaine Elementary has undergone a dramatic change as it is now a public Montessori School and the ratings on that site don't reflect that change. The comments might be more reliable in that case.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:28 PM

515 posts, read 482,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
School funding is a very small factor of school performance. After a certain level of funding, it's diminishing returns. Too much funding and school districts just get loosy goosey with the checkbook and do stupid stuff like buy iPads for kindergarteners and wifi on buses. Good schools are the result of motivated parents interested in good schools. No amount of spending can create motivation where there is none.
Your taxes do pay for schools. Charleston County residents just voted for more taxes to pay for more new schools and libraries.
We received a note from our son's school saying that property taxes don't pay for the schools around here. Other taxes do contribute but there is a big shortfall in amount per student. State law prevents schools from funding operational expenses with homeowner taxes. The difference is made up by fundraising. I totally get that throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it. But you still need money for things like art, music and sports....

Old 08-23-2016, 06:23 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtopplings View Post
We received a note from our son's school saying that property taxes don't pay for the schools around here. Other taxes do contribute but there is a big shortfall in amount per student. State law prevents schools from funding operational expenses with homeowner taxes. The difference is made up by fundraising. I totally get that throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it. But you still need money for things like art, music and sports....
Fundraising like bake sales?
Wando doesnt look like a cash strapped school to me. I'm not sure what kooky financing scheme Charleston County and South Carolina has cooked up, but it appears to be pulling it off better than places I've lived with far higher property taxes.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,425,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Fundraising like bake sales?
Wando doesnt look like a cash strapped school to me. I'm not sure what kooky financing scheme Charleston County and South Carolina has cooked up, but it appears to be pulling it off better than places I've lived with far higher property taxes.
Sales and use taxes ..especially hotel taxes .. at 18.5 %... so next time you see map checking folks on the corner of Queen and King ... of course say the normal hello or can I help you... and add a ' Thanks '...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area