Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 03:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times

Advertisements

Matthew could be interesting: Tropical Storm Matthew: A Hurricane Will Head North -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 02:28 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The track that brings it Charleston has it as a Cat 5 at landfall.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:43 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
The track that brings it Charleston has it as a Cat 5 at landfall.
I think there is only one model that brings it to Charleston..the likelihood of that would be rare. Gonna be a close call though.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Experts: US East Coast needs to watch Hurricane Matthew closely

Old 10-03-2016, 07:25 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
'Extremely Dangerous' Hurricane Matthew Could Deliver Devastating Blow - NBC News

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/03/americ...icane-matthew/

Matthew is the most powerful storm in about a decade and is about to hit Jamaica and Haiti. US landfall still isn't certain, but keep a close eye.

Luckily, if it does make any landfall, it should be weaker than it is now, but considering how it can flood in Charleston when it drizzles, that really doesn't matter.

If it does impact the coast, Chas is looking at a window of this weekend.

Haiti, one of the poorest countries in the world, is about to get slammed. Keep your t's and p's with those people.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 AM

https://weather.com/news/news/hurricane-matthew-us

Matthew still isn't confirmed to hit the US, but it looks more likely than unlikely. And Charleston will definitely feel it. Luckily, it should be weaker when it does cross, and secondly, none of the models have it making landfall in Charleston.

Even though wind will be weaker, rainfall totals will be scary and very similar to our 1 year ago storm, so prepare. Get out of low lying areas and have the supplies you need.

I recommend portable chargers. You can get them for like $5. If the power goes out, that's the only way you'll be able to charge your phones. (Just keep in mind that they themselves have to be charged up first).

Likely, Matthew will either strike Florida and ride up the coast, or just ride up parallel to the coast and get NC, but of course lets not hope so.

And don't forget Haiti and Jamaica, they're receiving the worst of it and don't have the infrastructure to make a relatively fast recovery, unlike us.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:58 AM

Matthew is predicted to be a Cat 2 when it passes. This means winds of 96-110mph, and higher gusts. Flooding rain, and possible tornadoes.

Only 1 hurricane has hit SC in October since 1851 that was cat 3 or higher, in 1893. No category 2 has made landfall in SC in October since the records began in 1851.

No hurricane has made landfall in SC since 2004.

Matthew likely won't break that streak. Landfall is not when the storm itself touches over land, it's when the center (the strongest portion) does, and as of right now Charleston is in no danger of encountering that from Matthew.

Another fun fact: when it comes to the Charleston area, Awendaw/McClellanville seems to be a magnet. Of Charleston's landfalls since the late 1800's, 7 out 11 have been there.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:12 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Matthew is predicted to be a Cat 2 when it passes. This means winds of 96-110mph, and higher gusts. Flooding rain, and possible tornadoes.

Only 1 hurricane has hit SC in October since 1851 that was cat 3 or higher, in 1893. No category 2 has made landfall in SC in October since the records began in 1851.

No hurricane has made landfall in SC since 2004.

Matthew likely won't break that streak. Landfall is not when the storm itself touches over land, it's when the center (the strongest portion) does, and as of right now Charleston is in no danger of encountering that from Matthew.

Another fun fact: when it comes to the Charleston area, Awendaw/McClellanville seems to be a magnet. Of Charleston's landfalls since the late 1800's, 7 out 11 have been there.
Statistics can be fun... They also can be used to point out that Hugo hit only 2 weeks earlier in the season than Matthew is scheduled to reach Charleston IF it ever does.

I'm in the, it's-still-too-far-away-to-worry-yet camp but just based on statistical odds, I'm betting it passes us without a direct hit. Beach erosion is all I'm worried about so far.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Statistics can be fun... They also can be used to point out that Hugo hit only 2 weeks earlier in the season than Matthew is scheduled to reach Charleston IF it ever does.

I'm in the, it's-still-too-far-away-to-worry-yet camp but just based on statistical odds, I'm betting it passes us without a direct hit. Beach erosion is all I'm worried about so far.
Common knowledge is Hugo hit McClellanville head on, but according to the NWS, it actually made landfall on Sullivan's Island. McClellanville just got the brunt of it.

Hugo was the first major for SC since Gracie in '59. Luckily we still haven't came close to Hugo yet. The last decade has been pretty quiet for SC.

And I agree its too early. Storms can change paths on a dime as Matthew has showed, but as of now, full on panic mode isn't warranted.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:42 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Common knowledge is Hugo hit McClellanville head on, but according to the NWS, it actually made landfall on Sullivan's Island. McClellanville just got the brunt of it.
I don't know how you measure "made landfall" but I have friends on Johns Island who watched the eye pass over their house. Definitely McClellanville was hit the hardest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area