Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 06:58 AM

859 posts, read 1,361,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonHomegirl View Post
Hi All. FYI, went at 7 30 am to Lowe's James Island, open until approx noon per employee. Also saw Blue Water Convenience Store and auto stores open on Folly Road. Lowes got a shipment of batteries last night, has tarps, and saw person on line with generator. Got a few last minute things we wanted, a score. Be safe everyone.

Adding an FYI for Mt Pleasant - Lowe's is open til noon today - they have water, and most of the supply tables still have items on them. Saw some generators all lined up in the big main aisle. Clerk said as far as they knew, they would be open again on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 07:10 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I guess you could buy one before a storm. Keep it in the box until you know you need it. If you don't need it, return it to the store. That way it doesn't take up space in the garage sitting and not being used.
I bought one years ago during an ice storm when I was stationed in Kansas. Sears said no returns.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
They're now talking about a possible storm surge of 8+ feet. That's 5 inches higher than the tallest ever NBA player.

If you live close to water, and especially on any of the islands, please reconsider leaving now. This situation does not look like a joke.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:27 AM

266 posts, read 319,802 times
We changed minds and bugging out now

Old 10-07-2016, 10:29 AM

734 posts, read 919,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Bulldog View Post
We changed minds and bugging out now
where do you leave?

Old 10-07-2016, 10:33 AM

7,258 posts, read 4,625,981 times
Storm track has shifted more north earlier today so better chance of a SC landfall.

Please see updated surge maps and continue to watch for changes.

Hurricane MATTHEW

Old 10-07-2016, 11:48 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
They're now talking about a possible storm surge of 8+ feet. That's 5 inches higher than the tallest ever NBA player.

If you live close to water, and especially on any of the islands, please reconsider leaving now. This situation does not look like a joke.

From what I can glean from the WorldWideWeb, Hugo's storm surge was 12' on Folly Beach and 20' in McClellanville. The predicted storm surge for Matthew is "up to 8ft" so it seems to me that if a property didn't flood due to storm surge during Hugo, it's not likely to on this go around either. The rain is another issue as Hugo didn't dump that much rain on Charleston as it was a fast moving storm. Afaict, the heaviest rain was on Edisto Isl and that was 10.28in.
I'm staying with (hopefully) quick access to my properties on James Island. There have been reports of burglaries with so many houses vacant at the moment so keep an eye on your neighbor's house if you're staying.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
From what I can glean from the WorldWideWeb, Hugo's storm surge was 12' on Folly Beach and 20' in McClellanville. The predicted storm surge for Matthew is "up to 8ft" so it seems to me that if a property didn't flood due to storm surge during Hugo, it's not likely to on this go around either. The rain is another issue as Hugo didn't dump that much rain on Charleston as it was a fast moving storm. Afaict, the heaviest rain was on Edisto Isl and that was 10.28in.
I'm staying with (hopefully) quick access to my properties on James Island. There have been reports of burglaries with so many houses vacant at the moment so keep an eye on your neighbor's house if you're staying.
I know you're going to ride it out, but your location still bothers me. At the same time, I wasn't alive during Hugo so I don't have your wisdom, but please stay safe.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I know you're going to ride it out, but your location still bothers me. At the same time, I wasn't alive during Hugo so I don't have your wisdom, but please stay safe.
Ha ha, We'll see if it's "wisdom" after Saturday. I figure it's just a calculated risk... anything can always happen. Good luck to us all!

Old 10-07-2016, 02:17 PM

There are idiots trotting the battery, walking dogs, etc. Do people just not care? This upsets me.

Apparently in St Augustine there's 20 people trapped at a bed and breakfast who decided to stay even after the city fire department said that city services were evacuating too and wouldn't be around to help.

And apparently 100 people on Daufuskie refuse to leave even though it's probably going to end up underwater and Nikki is begging. They even dispatched an extra ferry and people still refused to leave, so now the coast guard has to send helicopters over to try to convince people one more time until conditions won't allow. It's very hard to feel sorry for these people.

And it's a shame you put other people's lives at risk when you get stranded and they have to go out and get you. After last year's floods that took SC by the throat, you think people wouldn't want to stick around for part 2 and would head the warnings, which have been given with enough time to spare.

I'm proud of how the state government has been handling this. Now it's up to citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area