Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM

8 posts, read 30,188 times

Advertisements

I looked into opening a Tim Horton's with a few friends from Buffalo down here. Unfortunately, the folks in Oakville, ONT limit the locations and there is nothing south of West Virginia allowed to open as of now.

Ironic eh, Charleston WV has Timmy Ho's but not us.

Working in EMS in the Buffalo area, I literally lived on Timmy Ho's for the last five years. Now I have to have it shipped down by the parents every few months.

...starting to get teary-eyed...

I really think that a Tim Hortons would completely blow people away down here.

As would a Wegmans, but that is a completely other topic that gets me going.

I LOVE WEGMANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM

97 posts, read 261,035 times
Oh man!!!! I never even thought of Wegmans!!! I am gonna miss Wegmans!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,814 times
I know Wegmans,
I couldn't drive to Ithaca, NY without stopping, then they opened ona a mere 45 miles from me in NJ! Heck, I could make it there without a bathroom stop for the wife!
jim

Old 03-15-2008, 11:43 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS_Highlander View Post
I think Tim's could compete, because it offers a great product, at a great price with quick service. It caters to the average person better than Starbucks does.

For a regular non gourmet coffee shop, it is some of the best coffee there is. So much so, that Tim's has opened a location in Afganastan because the Canadian Soldiers that are there "fighting the war on terror" missed it so much. You can also get a quick sandwich or soup for lunch at Tim's as well.

Tim's has had a strangle hold on the Canadian coffee market for many years. I don't think Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts has been much of threat to them.

I have full confidence in Tim's products and it's ability to compete with the best of them. The only strike I see is the initial name brand recognition in this area.

Another great Francise I have seen locally is Qudoba. They are only located at the N. Charleston airport area. But, I think their product is good enough there is room for many more of them.

Another francise I like, that I saw in Texas is Jack in the Box. There is not one of them around here and I think there would be room for one of them here as well.
Surprised no Jack in the Box's are down in Charleston. Rock Hill has 3 of them. Their burgers definitely beat out Burger Kings, Hardees, and McNastees.
Charleston really doesn't need a bunch of chains. Why copy Anycity USA? There are very few that I think would be OK. PF Changs would do well b/c there isn't any local variation of that concept. Dave & Busters would do well out in the suburbs like W Ashley, Mt P, or Summerville, b/c there is nothing like that anywhere in SC that I'm aware of. A Ruth's Chris or Hyde Park Chophouse would work for a great steak place. That's about all that I think could work, except for maybe a couple of chain pizza places like Donatos (my favorite from Ohio, now opening franchises in the Charlotte area) or Pizzaria Uno's (Chicago deep dish, yummy).

Old 03-16-2008, 05:49 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Surprised no Jack in the Box's are down in Charleston. Rock Hill has 3 of them. Their burgers definitely beat out Burger Kings, Hardees, and McNastees.
Charleston really doesn't need a bunch of chains. Why copy Anycity USA? There are very few that I think would be OK. PF Changs would do well b/c there isn't any local variation of that concept. Dave & Busters would do well out in the suburbs like W Ashley, Mt P, or Summerville, b/c there is nothing like that anywhere in SC that I'm aware of. A Ruth's Chris or Hyde Park Chophouse would work for a great steak place. That's about all that I think could work, except for maybe a couple of chain pizza places like Donatos (my favorite from Ohio, now opening franchises in the Charlotte area) or Pizzaria Uno's (Chicago deep dish, yummy).
I agree with your comment about Chas. not needing anymore chains. When I go visit somewhere new, I do not eat at franchise restaurants....I seek out local spots to try something new. Most people who come to Charleston to visit, like to try the local seafood and Lowcountry cuisine. And I would hope that those who move here don't want to make it just like it was back home (a topic which has been discussed to death on here).....it gives them something to look forward to when they do go back "home" for a visit to eat at their old stomping grounds restaurants. I personally can't stand fast food restaurants or hamburger joints and would hate to see even more going in here and I think most who like to eat healthy foods would agree.

Many mentioned Tim Horton's....well I spent 2 weeks in Canada last summer and ate at Tim Horton's a few times, but didn't see anything special about their donuts or anything else on their menu...good, but nothing to write home about. We had Dunkin' Donuts in OH and they were ok...I think Krispy Kreme is as good or better as T.Horton's and Dunkin' Donuts (as far as donuts go).
Just my 2 cents....

Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 AM

267 posts, read 1,019,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Many mentioned Tim Horton's....well I spent 2 weeks in Canada last summer and ate at Tim Horton's a few times, but didn't see anything special about their donuts or anything else on their menu...good, but nothing to write home about. We had Dunkin' Donuts in OH and they were ok...I think Krispy Kreme is as good or better as T.Horton's and Dunkin' Donuts (as far as donuts go).
Just my 2 cents....
You are correct that Krispy Kreme has the best donuts. Tim Horton's just has great coffee that doesn't have an overly strong taste like Starbucks.

As far as Tim's coffee not being anything to write home about, tell these guys that! CTV.ca | Tim Hortons gives Afghan troops taste of home

Old 03-17-2008, 05:59 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
That's certainly good for the troops' morales (too bad they didn't discount their prices for the soldiers though). I agree about Starbucks being too strong (and bitter!), as well as OVER-PRICED! I tend to drink and make my own coffee at home....better price and better taste!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM

77 posts, read 353,918 times
Donatos Pizza out of Columbus OH!! You have to try their Mariachi spice pizza. We drive hours to get to one.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM

45 posts, read 139,781 times
Default Rita's

A Rita's would be GREAT

or a Really good mexican rest. like Rosa Mexicana

Old 05-19-2008, 07:22 PM

26 posts, read 52,990 times
How about a Trade Joe's? 2 Buck Chuck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area