Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 AM

8 posts, read 7,950 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to North Carolina or South Carolina before school starts in September. We narrowed down our search to these two states based on the weather and proximity to the coast.

Since we have never been to either state, we would appreciate any information to help us decide where to relocate.

We are looking for a city within 10 miles of a beach, good schools with a high school lacrosse team, employment opportunities with a utility company, activities for families and a reasonable cost of living.

Any help with our search will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 PM

209 posts, read 534,365 times
Without knowing your price range, it's difficult to help.

Have you ever even visited these states?

Are there other factors that will go into your decision -- what sort of employment opportunities (management, engineering, operator, truck driver?), politics, demographics, weather, etc.

Your question is too broad.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:25 PM

727 posts, read 716,743 times
Well, I found this list (which you might have already seen). Three of your conditions (lacrosse team, good school, 10 miles to beach) could possibly be satisfied in SC by #1, 2, 3, 10, 13, 14, 17 or 22. There is a second page of schools that I didn't look at because I don't want to register with the site. North Carolina has 5 pages of High school lacrosse rankings on that same website. In NC, the Wilmington area might work for you.

South Carolina High School Lacrosse Rankings - MaxPreps

Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinerevelle View Post
Without knowing your price range, it's difficult to help.

Have you ever even visited these states?

Are there other factors that will go into your decision -- what sort of employment opportunities (management, engineering, operator, truck driver?), politics, demographics, weather, etc.

Your question is too broad.
I have not been to the either states which makes it very difficult to decide. We do not want to spend more than 400K for a home. My husband is looking for work at a utility company, preferably an electric company. Thank you for your help!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Well, I found this list (which you might have already seen). Three of your conditions (lacrosse team, good school, 10 miles to beach) could possibly be satisfied in SC by #1, 2, 3, 10, 13, 14, 17 or 22. There is a second page of schools that I didn't look at because I don't want to register with the site. North Carolina has 5 pages of High school lacrosse rankings on that same website. In NC, the Wilmington area might work for you.

South Carolina High School Lacrosse Rankings - MaxPreps
Thank you for your help!

Old 04-18-2017, 11:00 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,868,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrossefamily View Post
I have not been to the either states which makes it very difficult to decide. We do not want to spend more than 400K for a home. My husband is looking for work at a utility company, preferably an electric company. Thank you for your help!
Mt.pleasant will be your best bet. You can find homes for 400k

Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 AM

480 posts, read 504,343 times
I would try to find a job first and move there. Is your husband in a union? Where are you moving from? Is your housing cost based on his current pay scale?

Mount Pleasant would fit your needs if you take away the good employment opportunities.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:51 PM

59 posts, read 52,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Mt.pleasant will be your best bet. You can find homes for 400k
Maybe barely at 400k, certainly don't know if I would call that your "best bet."

Old 04-18-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
I would try to find a job first and move there. Is your husband in a union? Where are you moving from? Is your housing cost based on his current pay scale?

Mount Pleasant would fit your needs if you take away the good employment opportunities.
He's not in the union and the electric company he works for is merging with another company. Housing cost is based on max we could afford.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,012,658 times
SC - Mount Pleasant is you best bet if the 10 miles to the beach is a deal-breaker. But as someone else mentioned, jobs might be an issue. And RE is getting high. RE taxes will be lower than NC.

NC - Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Wake Forest are really nice, with a better job market, much lower RE costs, and more employment opportunities than Mount Pleasant, but they are 2-3 hours from the coast. RE Taxes will be higher, sales tax and income tax lower than SC. As someone else mentioned, Wilmington might fit, but I am not sure if there is a Lacrosse team, or how the job market is there. Also, crime is very high there.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area