Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:12 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,955,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth727 View Post
yes I do want some peace and tranquility actually! do all of these places HOA's include pool (actually I am not even sure they all have pool). Based on what you are saying how is Wescott as far as crime. So the neighborhood I live in on Long Island is culturally diverse which I love however in recent years it is more negative than positive. We have seen a rapid decline in the neighborhood and more crime. I am leary of moving to a neighborhood that is on the border of not so good areas becasue then it will only be a matter of time before that spills over. I do not mean that to insult anyone who might live in that area however I have been through it and I am currently in a position where my home value is declining and I don't like to go through town at night.
beth--
Regarding the Crime Dramas in North Chas.....in the several years I've lived in Wescott I have not seen any Crime. Nothing more serious than a loud muffler on a pickup truck. There have been Crime issues on the other side of North Charleston, a different neighborhood altogether. You have to be aware of your surroundings, and don't be riding your bicycle at night in the wrong place.

As far as the different subsections within Wescott -- I think they are differentiated mainly by the Original Builders. Lennar built some nice homes here, and I think DR Horton did another section. But Centex and other builders do not have the same level of quality. I'll leave it to the Realtors on this Board to fully describe the various neighborhoods. The old saying about Location is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:16 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,249,215 times
Quote:
yes I do want some peace and tranquility actually! do all of these places HOA's include pool (actually I am not even sure they all have pool). Based on what you are saying how is Wescott as far as crime. So the neighborhood I live in on Long Island is culturally diverse which I love however in recent years it is more negative than positive. We have seen a rapid decline in the neighborhood and more crime. I am leary of moving to a neighborhood that is on the border of not so good areas becasue then it will only be a matter of time before that spills over. I do not mean that to insult anyone who might live in that area however I have been through it and I am currently in a position where my home value is declining and I don't like to go through town at night.
Of those three, Pine Forest and Legend Oaks would be the only two I would characterize as having a tranquil feel. Wescott is ok but is in a very congested area (Dorchester Rd and Ashley Phosphate). Do a search on here for Ashley Phosphate and you'll start to understand.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:37 AM

159 posts, read 458,790 times
I'm from Long Island. My wife and kids moved down to Summerville 2 years ago. I had to stay in NY until last year, then I migrated my Investment Advisory business down to Summerville. We rented in Legend Oaks for 1 year. We loved it, so we bought in this community. There are about 5 sections of LO. There are 2 pools that can be joined. There was some misinformation above about HOA. There are several HOA's that govern the different sections. The HOA dues do not include amenities. The amenities can be joined at the club for pool, tennis and golf. There is also an inexpensive social membership for the club.
There is an additional pool in the Carolinian Section that can be joined as well. You can find a beautiful one level, 3 bdrm home for $230k and up. We are on the quiet side of Summerville, but this side is growing with Summers Corner and The Ponds expanding.
Pine Forest is very nice. They currently have DB Horton building homes in your price range in PF. I do feel your budget may be a bit low for PF, as most homes are over that limit and the amenities are going to be more expensive, but nice. PF is located closer to the busy parts of Summerville.
We looked at Westcott briefly when originally home shopping, but it wasn't quite up to our standards. Less expensive than LO or PF, and retail and restaurants all around you.
You may want to try renting for 1 year, before you commit to purchasing your home.
I like HOA's for the rules. It is designed to protect your home value and prevent your neighborhood from becoming salvage yard. It is not for everybody. It's easy to follow the rules and have no issues. I've never understood why people moved into an HOA with rules and then proceed to break those rules and fight with the community.
Here are some rules that might come into play for the average resident:
Yard should be maintained(cut and edged)
No boats or campers in driveway for longer than 48 hours. This rule tends to get bent a little.
Dogs on leash. Many places to run your dog if you look about.
No storage sheds, uniform mailboxes, approved select paint colors.
Drive around and try to meet some folks in the communities. Eat at these Club Houses, dinner and lunch, they are open to the public and most of the people you will meet and see there, will be residents.
Good Luck!
SUMMERVILLE, SC is a great place to live.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 PM

51 posts, read 69,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGUNNY View Post
I'm from Long Island. My wife and kids moved down to Summerville 2 years ago. I had to stay in NY until last year, then I migrated my Investment Advisory business down to Summerville. We rented in Legend Oaks for 1 year. We loved it, so we bought in this community. There are about 5 sections of LO. There are 2 pools that can be joined. There was some misinformation above about HOA. There are several HOA's that govern the different sections. The HOA dues do not include amenities. The amenities can be joined at the club for pool, tennis and golf. There is also an inexpensive social membership for the club.
There is an additional pool in the Carolinian Section that can be joined as well. You can find a beautiful one level, 3 bdrm home for $230k and up. We are on the quiet side of Summerville, but this side is growing with Summers Corner and The Ponds expanding.
Pine Forest is very nice. They currently have DB Horton building homes in your price range in PF. I do feel your budget may be a bit low for PF, as most homes are over that limit and the amenities are going to be more expensive, but nice. PF is located closer to the busy parts of Summerville.
We looked at Westcott briefly when originally home shopping, but it wasn't quite up to our standards. Less expensive than LO or PF, and retail and restaurants all around you.
You may want to try renting for 1 year, before you commit to purchasing your home.
I like HOA's for the rules. It is designed to protect your home value and prevent your neighborhood from becoming salvage yard. It is not for everybody. It's easy to follow the rules and have no issues. I've never understood why people moved into an HOA with rules and then proceed to break those rules and fight with the community.
Here are some rules that might come into play for the average resident:
Yard should be maintained(cut and edged)
No boats or campers in driveway for longer than 48 hours. This rule tends to get bent a little.
Dogs on leash. Many places to run your dog if you look about.
No storage sheds, uniform mailboxes, approved select paint colors.
Drive around and try to meet some folks in the communities. Eat at these Club Houses, dinner and lunch, they are open to the public and most of the people you will meet and see there, will be residents.
Good Luck!
SUMMERVILLE, SC is a great place to live.
Great info thank you! No storage sheds at all? So I am guessing any yard tools are kept in garage. Do people maintain their own yard for the most part or use a service? On LI seems like so many people use a service these days although we do our own. That said we will be retiring and might be interested in hiring someone. Do you know roughly the cost down there? Also what is the difference of the different sections of LO? Is it just different builders, rules? What are the HOA fees? Thanks!

Old 08-21-2017, 04:55 AM

40 posts, read 44,775 times
Quote:
Great info thank you! No storage sheds at all? So I am guessing any yard tools are kept in garage. Do people maintain their own yard for the most part or use a service? On LI seems like so many people use a service these days although we do our own. That said we will be retiring and might be interested in hiring someone. Do you know roughly the cost down there? Also what is the difference of the different sections of LO? Is it just different builders, rules? What are the HOA fees? Thanks!
Sorry I wasn't able to respond to your questions on my post as I went out of town however the other gentleman from Legend Oaks summed it up perfectly. I maintain my own yard but there are plenty of people who use services, some based within the neighborhood. You can drive through the community and see the difference between the sections. Different house styles, landscaping and other items related to appearance. We have a fairly strict HOA but for good reason. Keep your yard and house neat and you'll have no problems. Personally, after looking through some other neighborhoods I appreciate our HOA! As was stated, come grab dinner at the clubhouse, they have different specials every night and then take a walk through the development, both sides of 61, and see what you think.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:38 AM

3,871 posts, read 4,615,921 times
I've been too busy to keep up with the forum but as usual, I see there are a lot of good answers coming through here. I agree with Lizardspock about Wescott... it's a "busier" feeling there. There are at least 15 different subsections in Wescott and a few of them don't have pool access though most do.

Nothing beats a visit to get the feel for an area if you can manage it.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:39 AM

159 posts, read 458,790 times
There are several HOA's that govern the different sections of LO. I live in the Club Section which is just west of the main section. It is more of Charleston style architecture here. The HOA rules are pretty standard through the whole community.
I maintain my yard, some pay landscapers. My Uncle pays a young man in the neighborhood $20/week to maintain his yard. Pretty reasonable.
Just make sure you invest the time to do your due diligence. You want to get it right the first time.

Enjoy the Total Eclipse today folks. Legend Oaks is having a party. 145 guests for dinner and viewing party.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 AM

3,871 posts, read 4,615,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWGUNNY View Post
There are several HOA's that govern the different sections of LO. I live in the Club Section which is just west of the main section. It is more of Charleston style architecture here. The HOA rules are pretty standard through the whole community.
I maintain my yard, some pay landscapers. My Uncle pays a young man in the neighborhood $20/week to maintain his yard. Pretty reasonable.
Just make sure you invest the time to do your due diligence. You want to get it right the first time.

Enjoy the Total Eclipse today folks. Legend Oaks is having a party. 145 guests for dinner and viewing party.
Praying for just a few minutes of well-timed clear sky this afternoon. This simulation got me stoked... I want to see the "contours of the moon".

This Weather Channel solar eclipse simulation will get you psyched

Old 08-21-2017, 07:22 AM

51 posts, read 69,685 times
Thank you ALL for taking the time. Yes we will visit again for sure. Last time we were there we just drove around to get the feel of different areas and such. Wanted to be able to concentrate more on certain areas next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area