Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:02 PM

1,124 posts, read 927,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Made a comprehensive thread:

2017 SC City Population Estimates

It doesn't feel like it because Charleston is larger than it appears on paper. N Chas and Mount P take up a lot of space as well. Chas gained 14k since 2010 but N Chas has gained 13k.

Also remember Columbia is in the same boat, there's ~90k people in northern Columbia with a Columbia address but not in the city.
I’d definitely say Cola has the most to gain of the big three from agressive annexation. It could easily go back to being the largest city again if it did. And have it for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 01:30 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
In the low country i also know that north Charleston would be alot bogger because its has alot of holes. Summerville might get into top 5 because it has alot of area it could use but nornin cort limits

Old 05-29-2018, 02:08 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,962,994 times
A lot of cities could gain a large chunk of population if they annexed, heck if hanahan annexed all the way up to Red bank road they'd probably get past 30k.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:34 PM

1,124 posts, read 927,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
A lot of cities could gain a large chunk of population if they annexed, heck if hanahan annexed all the way up to Red bank road they'd probably get past 30k.
Lexington would be as big as MP, Rock Hill and Fort Mill would be massive. Florence would do better. Simposnville and Mauldin would be big. Spartanburg would be huge. Idk, maybe one day they’ll change the outdated and antiquated laws.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,456,537 times
Every single significant SC city would be much bigger than it is now if we had NC annexation laws, from Columbia to Anderson to Bluffton to Monks Corner to Spartanburg and so on. That's why it shouldn't be a competition on who's the largest. It's way too arbitrary. SC has no clear cut methods like Charlotte clearly being NC's #1, Atlanta clearly being GA's #1, Phoenix clearly being AZ's #1, etc.

Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville can each be the largest depending on what measure or metric you use, so who cares. And it doesn't matter if one if growing blazing fast or average, growth is growth and it's not a competition.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:50 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Every single significant SC city would be much bigger than it is now if we had NC annexation laws, from Columbia to Anderson to Bluffton to Monks Corner to Spartanburg and so on. That's why it shouldn't be a competition on who's the largest. It's way too arbitrary. SC has no clear cut methods like Charlotte clearly being NC's #1, Atlanta clearly being GA's #1, Phoenix clearly being AZ's #1, etc.

Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville can each be the largest depending on what measure or metric you use, so who cares. And it doesn't matter if one if growing blazing fast or average, growth is growth and it's not a competition.
But being biggest means being the best. Otherwise people wouldn't be so sensitive about it.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,456,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
But being biggest means being the best. Otherwise people wouldn't be so sensitive about it.
Yeah tell that to Florida.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:28 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,656,743 times
One thing I don't understand is why do the donut holes not want to join the cities that surround them. It would be to their advantage in every case IMA.
This holes true for Charleston, North Charleston and maybe Summerville as well. And why the heck did James Island become another city, that really gets me. Selfishness? Power? My feelings are to be united and stop all the duplications.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:10 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,868,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
One thing I don't understand is why do the donut holes not want to join the cities that surround them. It would be to their advantage in every case IMA.
This holes true for Charleston, North Charleston and maybe Summerville as well. And why the heck did James Island become another city, that really gets me. Selfishness? Power? My feelings are to be united and stop all the duplications.
Why would you want to join a city when you get the same amenities with cheaper taxes???

Old 05-30-2018, 06:17 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,071,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Why would you want to join a city when you get the same amenities with cheaper taxes???

I'm not sure this is always true. I could be wrong, but I believe SAPSD taxes are higher vs. city of Charleston taxes. I know the water rates are lower in the city.

If I owned property located in the donut hole I would prefer to join the city where at least police protection should rate higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area