Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM

973 posts, read 915,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedra View Post
I'm planning on moving to Charleston-metro area in the future from NJ and I looked at your rankings in terms of traffic and I'm not seeing any rankings of Charleston in the top 10 or top 25 worst congested cities. I'm just totally guessing at this point but I think maybe your traffic isn't any worse than a typical mid-sized city like Jersey City during rush hour.

I had to look at top 50 congested to find Charleston. According to this one, North Charleston is ranked #37 in the nation. This one has you ranked North Charleston at #40 in the nation.

The entire United States has some serious traffic problems, maybe when Trump introduces an infrastructure bill, that is what is needed to fix the problem. But that's probably a solution that will take 5-10 years to go into effect.

I guess the point being as bad as you got it, there's about 3 dozen cities that are worse than you.
Traffic can't compare to the likes of ATL, LA, or SF, but then again, we aren't big like those cities. Severity of traffic depends on where you need to get to and what time of day you're traveling. Generally, it's not really that bad, but when there is an accident, your 15 min commute may turn into a 90+ min one. And If a bridge closes...well, then you might as well drive back to work and sleep in your office.

Last edited by fluffypoopoo; 07-09-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 01:28 PM

606 posts, read 730,838 times
For its population, Charleston (as the whole state) has horrible traffic problems. Mostly due to the lack of revenue the state DOT has to expand and repair our roads and bridges. SC was decades late keeping up with maintenance and expansion. Just look at I-26, the medians were never kept mowed, resulting in 50 years of tree growth right up the the shoulder of the interstate highway! Yes, they have finally remove the trees but it took dozens of people getting killed by hitting trees at 70 mph.

When I move away (after I retire) it will be someplace that puts a little more priority on highway infrastructure and safety.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:27 AM

657 posts, read 739,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
When I move away (after I retire) it will be someplace that puts a little more priority on highway infrastructure and safety.
Like where? Seems like a small inconvenience to live in a place where many people want to move to.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:22 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,114 times
The real reason the traffic is bad is because of mindless planning over the last 20 years!! Charleston has grown, and the roads have not! Very few road improvements, still one lane roads on the islands, and more and more commercial properties and apartments being built nonstop. This is the reason for traffic ! Too many cars and not enough road!

Old 08-08-2023, 08:49 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Blame state legislators. Even streets that many assume are under city or county jurisdiction, like the vast majority of them, are actually the DOT’s neglected babies.

Our state legislature is provincial and caters mainly to city haters and haters of all jurisdictions other than those in rural areas. And infrastructure funding seems harder to come by in some metros than others, depending on which metros have legislatures with the most power. The Charleston area’s current legislative power isn’t what it was a decade or so ago.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:31 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Blame state legislators. Even streets that many assume are under city or county jurisdiction, like the vast majority of them, are actually the DOT’s neglected babies.

Our state legislature is provincial and caters mainly to city haters and haters of all jurisdictions other than those in rural areas. And infrastructure funding seems harder to come by in some metros than others, depending on which metros have legislatures with the most power. The Charleston area’s current legislative power isn’t what it was a decade or so ago.
Charleston's other big problems is that the residents not only protest but throw multi-year fits over any effort to improve the local roads. If I have the chance to assign $ to Charleston where everything will be delayed or abandoned at the behest of a gaggle or Karens or somewhere else that will get an actual move on- I go with the latter. Look at Conway-Myrtle Beach that built about 3 additional bridges and three sets of bypasses in literally 1/3 the time Charleston has argued over the Mark Clark. And often federal/state $ are still administered locally through grants.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:45 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,770,297 times
I can’t believe the high percentage of social media comments in the Charleston area that demand 0 growth of any kind - buildings, roads, people, name it. The nostalgia for the old days is in overdrive here.

Old 08-10-2023, 04:11 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Charleston's other big problems is that the residents not only protest but throw multi-year fits over any effort to improve the local roads. If I have the chance to assign $ to Charleston where everything will be delayed or abandoned at the behest of a gaggle or Karens or somewhere else that will get an actual move on- I go with the latter. Look at Conway-Myrtle Beach that built about 3 additional bridges and three sets of bypasses in literally 1/3 the time Charleston has argued over the Mark Clark. And often federal/state $ are still administered locally through grants.
I can't give you a plus rating. but I agree with you.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
For its population, Charleston (as the whole state) has horrible traffic problems. Mostly due to the lack of revenue the state DOT has to expand and repair our roads and bridges. SC was decades late keeping up with maintenance and expansion. Just look at I-26, the medians were never kept mowed, resulting in 50 years of tree growth right up the the shoulder of the interstate highway! Yes, they have finally remove the trees but it took dozens of people getting killed by hitting trees at 70 mph.

Good luck.

Infrastructure is expensive and I don't know of any community that can build it for future traffic.

Old 08-12-2023, 07:45 AM

311 posts, read 259,070 times
Our roads can definitely stand to be improved, but roads are always a trailing indicator of growth. If we want to improve traffic, we need to rethink zoning and density — especially in the suburbs.

The problem is that the only "density" residents in the suburbs ever see are massive apartment complexes being built further and further away from everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area