Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 PM

89 posts, read 255,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoggins View Post
why are yankees so transient ? what are you running from ? don't be scared
Why are you so bitter? Yes..I come from the north. So what. My family and I vacationed here and instantly fell in love with the area(as well as with most of the people). We knew right away that this is where we wanted our kids to grow up. I know it can't be easy to see your hometown grow and expand, but do you realize how bitter some of you sound? We are just a young couple trying to better our lives and those of our children. We have that right.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:05 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoggins View Post
why are yankees so transient ? what are you running from ? don't be scared
I thought this was the UNITED states of America- maybe not, and maybe that is an inherent problem in this country. If we can allow thousands of illegals to cross the border and work and live here in any state they choose, why can't a legal American cross their state border to live wherever they choose. I know that only a small amount of Charlestonians have a problem with transplants, but being able to live where you want is what makes America the best place in the world to live.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
That's why New Jersey has one of the best public school systems in the country and is the second richest state per capita (behind Connecticut). Have you ever lived in NJ? Seriously that is a joke, South Carolina may have the uppper hand against NJ on many things but education is not one of them. Think before you talk
I lived in NJ for over 20 years, thank you.

Maybe you'll find it interesting that my preteen daughter had to catch up to her peers here in South Carolina when we first arrived. Even though she was formerly educated in "one of the best public school systems in the country".

I DO think before I talk.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
Why do so many people move south? Well, WORK for one thing. Do those opposed to people moving from places like Detroit (and many other areas with major job losses) expect people to starve? Also in the 1930s and 40s many people from the South and areas like WV,southern PA moved to northern cities like Cleveland,Detroit,Milwaukee for work so what you are experiencing is what other parts of the country have experienced 50 or so years ago. That's life. Unless you are talking about illegal immigration which is a different matter.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,838 times
OK I admit, I did just graduate and asked about the cost of living down there. And I know this isn't an accurate source of info (I'm not dumb, otherwise I wouldn't have graduated with 3 degrees in 4 years) but I was just wondering what people had to say about it since they are the ones that live down there and are familiar with it.

And some places in the north are nice, but not where I live....unless you're into having cows as neighbors and like being in a place where more people get around in ATVs than cars. There's no problem with that, it's just not for me (and it only took me about 10 of the 21 years I've lived here to realize that). Plus I didn't decide to randomly move to Charleston, I've been there several times and know a couple of people down there already, so I know for sure I wanna move there, at least for a little while. I was just looking for more info on the economy in the area. Also there are more job opportunities in the south for my major than in the north, especially around here.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,684 times
Greetings.

My husband and I are moving to SC from NJ. I am 50 years old.
Twenty years or so ago, I remember regularly hearing people using the phrases "thank you, you're welcome, excuse me, and oh my! I am terribly sorry."
I remember smiles, nods of acknowledgement, and lovely chats with neighbors, as well as perfect strangers.
It was a gentler time, even up here in the small towns of Northeast.
But, I am in mourning for those gentler times.
When we visit SC regularly to fish Lake Marion, we feel comfortable.
When we do make the move, my husband and I wish only to adapt to our surroundings. SC has become more familiar to us than our own home state.
I want to nod to my neighbor. My husband wants to fish or hunt without having to withstand the unsolicited opinions of activists. I wish not to be spoken to at work for "pushing my religious beliefs" simply because I said "I'll pray for her," to the fellow whose wife was sick. I want to see a service person smile and hear them say thank you.
The world has gone topsy turvy, I tell you!
I am aware that things are changing all over our country. I just ask that you please reserve judgement when you hear our Northern voices. If we do say something stupid, okay, then you may sniff at us. But, please give us a bit of a chance.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:24 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
You sound like the perfect neighbor! With your attitude, I'm sure you will make many friends here in the "friendly and polite" state (for the most part) of South Carolina! God bless you.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:16 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,817 times
Family3 - I lived in NYC for 8 years and now live in mtp - there are no differences in culture or morals. We, from the north, simply express ourselves more directly rather than being coy by saying "well bless your haaart" when we really mean....well...you know....so, in response to Staywarm2 - yes of course I'm worried about selling more houses and the future of my income -you aren't? I would say that anyone, in any industry or business right now has a reason to be concerned about the immediate future and take the means to conserve, so if you were "coyly" trying to be rude -well, you were by asking that question of me.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,160 times
As a native, I have never in my life said "Well bless your heart" to anyone. I speak my mind when needed but tend to smack my fingers on message boards. Some things just aren't worth it.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,817 times
point taken..thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area