Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,702 times

Advertisements

I find the comment about Wando HS, according to one parent, as not being as academically challenging as the DOR 2 schools surprising based on the most recent SAT test scores of Wando (1569) and Summerville HS(1475) and given the fact that 80% of the eligible students at Wando took the SAT as opposed to only 49% at Summerville. In addition, Wando High SchooI received an “excellent” score for the past five years on the “State Report Card.” I feel sure that the students at Summerville are no less intelligent than those at Wando. If this is the case, I would have to assume that there must be some reason for the difference in test scores and percentage rates. The most logical in my opinion would be the level of instruction, school curriculum, parental support, school administration and/or over-all emphasis on the importance of higher education. If anyone has another explanation I would be interested in hearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 12:42 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,265 times
Charleston, SC Latest Local News: Dorchester 2 seeks to excel

Old 09-17-2008, 01:49 PM

60 posts, read 234,539 times
scjj,

Well, like I said. I not only sat in the reception areas of 5 different high schools in 3 different counties but also interviewed the administrators and teachers. If you have an open mind there is much you can learn just by being a good listener.

In the same way that I don't need to be a doctor to know that my body isn't working correctly, I don't need to send my child to every school in S.C. to discover the best fit.

I'm sorry but you sound defensive when you say that southerner's are "stubborn" or may not focus on education the way that other States do. I did not find that to be true. In fact, I saw programs and met staff that were awesome and way AHEAD of anything I'd ever seen in California or Nevada (where apparently more $ is spent).

It's true that I did not care for Summerville H.S. But I am sincerely glad that it does work for you and your family. That is why when the question was posed that I recommended going in and visiting the schools yourself.

Stratford and Wando high schools were terrific. And kindness and mutual respect are qualities far more important to me than test scores.

Luvs2Fish

Old 09-17-2008, 02:14 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,888 times
My daughter is currently attending Summerville High. I'm very pleased with how she is doing academically, and she is very pleased with how she is doing socially. She, nor her friends, have had any issues with bullying. And they are very aware that even a verbal altercation will find them suspended from school, as they witnessed two girls raising their voices at each other and it was handled immediately. They were both suspended. They DO have a no tolerance policy in effect and from what I hear from my own child and her friends, it is enforced.

Btw, any type of physical altercation will not end up in a suspension, but with an arrest on the spot. They do take school security seriously.

I should mention that my family and I are also transplants. We relocated here 3 years ago from the NJ/Philadelphia area. We also visited the many different schools in this area ourselves and after living here 6 months to get a real feel for the different locations, we chose to buy our permanent home in the Summerville area and have our child attend Dubose Middle and Summerville High.

It has been a great experience for our entire family, especially our daughter, and we are very happy with our decisions.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
I find the comment about Wando HS, according to one parent, as not being as academically challenging as the DOR 2 schools surprising based on the most recent SAT test scores of Wando (1569) and Summerville HS(1475) and given the fact that 80% of the eligible students at Wando took the SAT as opposed to only 49% at Summerville. In addition, Wando High SchooI received an “excellent†score for the past five years on the “State Report Card.†I feel sure that the students at Summerville are no less intelligent than those at Wando. If this is the case, I would have to assume that there must be some reason for the difference in test scores and percentage rates. The most logical in my opinion would be the level of instruction, school curriculum, parental support, school administration and/or over-all emphasis on the importance of higher education. If anyone has another explanation I would be interested in hearing it.
Joe, after spending a few years reading your posts here on city data, you seem to never have anything to say other than defend the Mt Pleasant area profusely, the very area you sell homes in.

As for the difference in test scores and percentage rates, I can give you a very blunt explanation. Economics and diversity.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2fish View Post
scjj,

Well, like I said. I not only sat in the reception areas of 5 different high schools in 3 different counties but also interviewed the administrators and teachers. If you have an open mind there is much you can learn just by being a good listener.

In the same way that I don't need to be a doctor to know that my body isn't working correctly, I don't need to send my child to every school in S.C. to discover the best fit.

I'm sorry but you sound defensive when you say that southerner's are "stubborn" or may not focus on education the way that other States do. I did not find that to be true. In fact, I saw programs and met staff that were awesome and way AHEAD of anything I'd ever seen in California or Nevada (where apparently more $ is spent).

It's true that I did not care for Summerville H.S. But I am sincerely glad that it does work for you and your family. That is why when the question was posed that I recommended going in and visiting the schools yourself.

Stratford and Wando high schools were terrific. And kindness and mutual respect are qualities far more important to me than test scores.

Luvs2Fish
I'm not here to beg you to like Summerville High School. That is your prerogative and you can do what you wish. But when someone makes a comment on a public forum about a schools reputation that they know nothing about and then can't back it up with facts that make any sense, you can expect people to take offense. I'm pretty sure I know the real answer anyway.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
joe, after spending a few years reading your posts here on city data, you seem to never have anything to say other than defend the mt pleasant area profusely, the very area you sell homes in.

As for the difference in test scores and percentage rates, i can give you a very blunt explanation. Economics and diversity.

i agree!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:19 PM

If anyone have read my posts over the years they will find that I have often been complimentary of Summerville, it's housing options and it's schools. I have also indicated that I have listed and sold homes throughout the Charleston area, including Summerville. In my latest post, I addressed one issue/comment that a parent's child found Summerville High School less challenging than Wando. The assertion that differences in test scores and percentages can only be attributed to economics and diversity can be contradicted by the performance of students at Buist Academy in downtown Charleston and many other public schools in low income areas throughout the US excelling in academics based upon their facility members and school administration. I suspect that Wando High School is just as diversified as Summerville, although would have to look at the figures.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:01 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,893 times
Wando-25.56% poverty index.
Summerville-41.56% poverty index.
Ft Dorchester-37.57% poverty index.
Stratford-43.26% poverty index.

Buist Academy-18.84% poverty index.

According to these number's you can see which schools are diversified.
https://ssl.sc.gov/SchoolReportCards/

Last edited by Luvsdabeach; 09-17-2008 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 09-17-2008, 11:03 PM

Interesting statistics, although income level is only one characteristic or factor making up a diversified student body. Schools that have a high percentage of students qualifying for a free or reduced lunch can do extremely well in testing and other academic areas.
Jennie Moore Elementary School in Mt. Pleasant is such an example. In 2007, they were one of four South Carolina schools that was nominated as a "National Blue Ribbon School" by the U.S. Department of Education and nearly half qualify for a free or reduced lunch. A press release described the school in the following manner:

This 54-year-old 4K-5 art magnet school in Mount Pleasant has 624 students, nearly half of whom qualify for free or reduced-price lunches. For the past two years, it garnered Excellent ratings in both the absolute and improvement categories, received Palmetto Gold Awards and was featured in the Education Department’s “In Our Schools” television program. The school’s data-driven curriculum integrates fine arts and customizes instruction to meet student needs. Using PACT and/or MAP data, groups of three or fewer academically at-risk students work with a certified teacher to remediate and foster academic growth. Students are homogeneously grouped for TEAM (Together Everybody Achieves More) time 40 minutes each day, four times a week. A homework center, S.O.S. (Support Our Students) and after-school tutoring are effective in helping struggling students to succeed. The SAIL program is for gifted and talented students. Jennie Moore’s fifth-graders in the same NCLB categories demonstrated phenomenal growth in Math and English Language Arts. Students scoring at or above Proficient soared from 22 to 54 percent in math and from 11 to 36 percent in English Language Arts. The school has an effective PTA that oversees more than 300 parent and community volunteers who help maintain a literacy resource room, provide educational resources for both parents and teachers, sponsor events to support the schools arts-infused curriculum, and provide supplemental funding for educational resources that include computers, copy machines and generous monetary allotments for classroom spending.

I also find the descriptive term "poverty index" a little misleading. I would be surprised if 4 out of 10 students at Summerville High School would be viewed by Summerville students or parents as living in poverty. According to on line statistics, in 2004 15.6% of South Carolina residents lived in poverty. It would be surprising if there were about 3 times as many students that were attending Summerville HS and living in poverty than attending other schools in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area