Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:19 PM

372 posts, read 809,099 times

Advertisements

Ok i have seen this post before and I think we should let people know what is good about the area we live in........... I mean with all the people thinking of moving to where others live we should be telling people how nice it is to live were we do.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 08:49 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,766,333 times
Thumbs up Much Better!

Great idea! I cringe everytime I see the title of the other post - HATE is such a strong and negative word.

Ok, what I LOVE most about Charleston:

* The historic buildings downtown

* The delicious lowcountry foods

* The weather

* Island life(style)

* The many beaches

* The friendly, laid-back people

That's a start and I could go on and on, but I'll save some for others!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:19 PM

478 posts, read 1,658,155 times
Though I've only been here a few months -- I like the weather now, and hopefully through the winter.

I like a lot of the people I've met here, so easy to talk to -- my husband and I are talkers, and have met some interesting people.

Downtown Charleston -- the history.

The beach/ocean -- don't know how anyone couldn't love that -- I wished I could live on the ocean.

Okay -- can't say "like" but have found interesting -- the lizards (but I'm an animal lover); the first time I've seen an armadillo (sp?); all the toads and butterflies I've seen since moving here -- but again I'm an animal lover. Though I'm not found of spiders -- the few I've seen here have amazed me -- the banana spider and the spiny orb weaver, kind of cool to see things for the first time.

I've not only gotten used to, but have come to like the southern style homes.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:32 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Default Friendly - But are the Friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Great idea! I cringe everytime I see the title of the other post - HATE is such a strong and negative word.

Ok, what I LOVE most about Charleston:

* The historic buildings downtown

* The delicious lowcountry foods

* The weather

* Island life(style)

* The many beaches

* The friendly, laid-back people

That's a start and I could go on and on, but I'll save some for others!
Many times on southern CD threads, I see the words "friendly people." But are they easy to actually MAKE FRIENDS with? I'm talking real friends, the kind you can count on, the kind you can go out with on the weekend, ones you can share your problems with, and the kind you can have indepth conversations about substantive subjects? Having real friends can make the difference from just enjoying a place and loving it.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Many times on southern CD threads, I see the words "friendly people." But are they easy to actually MAKE FRIENDS with? I'm talking real friends, the kind you can count on, the kind you can go out with on the weekend, ones you can share your problems with, and the kind you can have indepth conversations about substantive subjects? Having real friends can make the difference from just enjoying a place and loving it.
Yes, I have many close friends who I: can count on, share my problems with, have indepth conversations about deep and meaningful subjects, etc. We laugh, cut up, share secrets, go places, do favors for one another....the usual friend stuff. My take on it is that you have to be a friend to have friends

I've lived here for 24 years and haven't met an enemy yet!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Default Question Put to Newer Transplants

Quote:
Yes, I have many close friends who I: can count on, share my problems with, have indepth conversations about deep and meaningful subjects, etc. We laugh, cut up, share secrets, go places, do favors for one another....the usual friend stuff. My take on it is that you have to be a friend to have friends

I've lived here for 24 years and haven't met an enemy yet!
That's wonderful for you! Old Friends are like that. But I was referring to people who move to a new place for maybe a year and wondering if they found any true friends.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
That's wonderful for you! Old Friends are like that. But I was referring to people who move to a new place for maybe a year and wondering if they found any true friends.
I don't think that deep friendships develop that quickly, at least not for me. It took a few years to form close, lasting friendships.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 AM

459 posts, read 1,642,854 times
Quote:
I don't think that deep friendships develop that quickly, at least not for me. It took a few years to form close, lasting friendships.
Agreed. I have many aquaintances. I have a few dozen friends. The ones who are truly my friends, and will always be my friends I can count on one hand. Not one of them have I known less than 20 years. They come when I call, and I go when they call. Some have moved away and some are still here, but I hold them like family.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 AM

355 posts, read 1,450,070 times
Okay, well it's obvious this person is looking for friends that she can develop close relationships in a shorter amount of time.

Anyone can develop a friendship over 20 years. Seems like she's talking about someone to go out with, shopping with, maybe to church, maybe double dates and bbq's. Someone she can spend time with and count on in between now and 2028.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Default Developing Friendships

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyGirl View Post
Okay, well it's obvious this person is looking for friends that she can develop close relationships in a shorter amount of time.

Anyone can develop a friendship over 20 years. Seems like she's talking about someone to go out with, shopping with, maybe to church, maybe double dates and bbq's. Someone she can spend time with and count on in between now and 2028.
Thank you! You said exactly what I was talking about. I know deep relationships take years, but it would be nice to have friendships in a new town with people who actually care about you, want to spend time together, and are willing to start building a closer friendship. I was wondering if any of the transplants experienced this.

Last edited by staywarm2; 10-22-2008 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area