Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 PM

638 posts, read 1,596,104 times

Advertisements

So it turns out i AM a *nut*, arent I?.. and Ain't that great news?!

Sometimes I just love being wrong.

(Now if someone will just prove to me that I actually can build a 2100sf charleston single in a private rural Mt Pleasant setting for $350K I'll be overjoyed.. all builders please reply)

(and thanks SCI? for all the horticulture info.. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM

890 posts, read 4,329,997 times
You might want to throw something over those sago's tonight, they can take cold, but 15 degrees is pushing it. Normally we do not get down this low. It's the center cone that you need to protect. Leave the dead fronds on the sago until the spring time when the threat of frost is over then cut them back.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Default Will do..

I will cover them tonight along with the boat's motor. i am so worried about both of them freezing. (altho the boat motor will cost more to repair)

btw.. So sorry I wrote SCI.. SCJJ. I couldn't go back to get the spelling right without losing my post.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,475,355 times
we have for many yrs just covered them in burlap...
and make sure the boat motor doesn't have any water in it, run it without a hose hooked up for bout 45 seconds or so

Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM

Default dead battery

I covered the sago's.. and the boat motor got covered in a warm quilted tjmaxx Ralph Lauren comforter that the dog once loved. (she has a spot in our bed now) I hope the boat motor rests in peace. and I hope it starts up this spring.

My husband had a stroke last year and lost his memory.. He couldn't tell me if it, or the cars, had anti-freeze in it.. He didn't even know he had a boat. I don't know nothin' about boats except what I googled and saw that I needed to tilt it up. When I did, gallons of water poured out the back end. Not a good sign, I figured. When I tried to crank it, the battery was dead.

I'm quite worried that it will be "junk" next spring.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 PM

890 posts, read 4,329,997 times
I went and covered mine too. I've got 2 in pots that I am bringing in the garage. Now my weather alert is saying it is going down to 13 degrees, that's a bit too risky. Good luck with that boat motor, sounds like you are going to need it tonight. burrrrrrrrrr.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:47 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,964,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
we have for many yrs just covered them in burlap...
and make sure the boat motor doesn't have any water in it, run it without a hose hooked up for bout 45 seconds or so
Unless you change water pump impellers every year as scheduled maintainance, do NOT run your outboard engines for 45 seconds w/o water! I tend to think 10-15 seconds is pushing it, but any water should be purged in that amount of time. The engine won't overheat that fast, but running the water pump dry for any appreciable time (seconds) will quickly wear the impeller. If you don't keep up on the maintainance, you "could" see water pump problems in the future. It's a risk that just doesn't need to be taken.

My sago palms (4) are in pots. Two are on a screened porch and two are out in the breezeway of my condo. No frost worry for them. Hopefully they can survive the air temps alright.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,475,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Unless you change water pump impellers every year as scheduled maintainance, do NOT run your outboard engines for 45 seconds w/o water! I tend to think 10-15 seconds is pushing it, but any water should be purged in that amount of time. The engine won't overheat that fast, but running the water pump dry for any appreciable time (seconds) will quickly wear the impeller. If you don't keep up on the maintainance, you "could" see water pump problems in the future. It's a risk that just doesn't need to be taken.
dude we've been doing this for decades

for the sake of argument lets say 20 seconds and if you see water running out after cranking it up then keep running it until the water stops coming out... if you see no water coming out then go ahead and shut it down

it shouldn't be much, but if you don't remove it then the chances of a ruined motor by spring is very high... if water freezes in it it will crack the block and it'll be trash

worse case scenario a water pump is much cheaper than a motor, but it won't wear out the impeller that quickly anyway...

but by this time of night this whole conversation is a waste of time, whatever you did to prepare will decide on the outcome... good luck and have a great weekend!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,006,167 times
So, how cold did it get last night in the Trident Area?

Old 01-17-2009, 09:31 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,343,061 times
I don't know but it was pretty cold here in Summerville, had to go out this morning and break up a 1/4" ice float on my pond so the birds could get a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area