Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 AM

58 posts, read 234,610 times

Advertisements

A little background:

My husband and I currently rent on Daniel Island and we are looking to buy a home within the next 3-6 months. We've gone back and forth a million times about where we want to buy a home, and I think we've finally given up on Mt. Pleasant, especially when we know we can get much more house for our money in Summerville (we can buy up to $300k but would like to keep it around $250-275k). We have an 8 month old and plan on adding to our family again, so space is an issue for us.

So, please tell me what you LOVE about living in Summerville?

I've been concerned about everything from shopping & restaurants to weekend activities - can all of you educate me a little more? I know that Mt. Pleasant isn't THAT far of a drive, but there are little conveniences I'll definitely miss (McAlister's sweet tea, a 10 minute drive to Whole Foods, Town Square just down the road, etc.) I'm also really worried about commute times once I plan on going back to work. Right now I stay at home with our son. My husband's main office is off of Wando Park Blvd in Mt. Pleasant, but he travels all over Charleston daily so the commute wouldn't be as big a deal for him.

Also, what do you dislike about living in Summerville?

Everyone on this board is so helpful, so I really look forward to the responses!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,309 times
There is a McAlister's in Azalea Square in S'Ville.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
There is a McAlister's in Azalea Square in S'Ville.
Nice! And here I was thinking I'd have to drive all the way to Belle Hall for my tea fix!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:19 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,874 times
Summerville has a McAllister's so you can cross that one off your list. There is no Whole Foods, but there is a Farmer's Market Saturday mornings downtown. With the growth that will continue in Dorchester and Berkeley Counties chances are pretty good that one might end up here sooner or later. Towne Centre? Hmmm, well yeah it was okay the first couple of times going there, but I'm bored with it now. I'd rather go to the Outlets.

Summerville has a Belk, a Target, Kohl's, a huge movie theater, a variety of restaurants, a couple of great pizza places. Pretty much the basics that you need. It's not like I am deprived, I always manage to get what I need. The shopping is only going to improve with time. With the Carnes Crossroads development coming out by Cane Bay it wouldn't surprise me if another Towne Centre type place popped up this way one day. Then there is the Flowertown Festival among others throughout the year on weekends.

Not to mention there is no place like springtime in Summerville. I took these last weekend just riding around through town:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 AM

Beautiful! We plan on spending this Saturday in Summerville driving around & getting a better feel for it. I can't wait to see all the azaleas!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:02 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,564 times
[quote=scjj;3197511]The shopping is only going to improve with time. With the Carnes Crossroads development coming out by Cane Bay it wouldn't surprise me if another Towne Centre type place popped up this way one day. quote]

We live in Cane-Bay and right now you can get a lot of home for the money. About the Carnes Crossroads, its already happening...Daniel Island group is developing that area into another "town center"...It will be anchored by Harris Teeter. You can get an idea of what it will look like, Carnes, A Daniel Island Company Township in The Greater Charleston Area

SCJJ, great pics btw!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 AM

890 posts, read 4,326,874 times
Just want to remind you that you will also be at a significant lower risk from hurricanes and flooding.

Thanks pokrplr!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:20 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,309 times
[quote=pokrplr;3197996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
The shopping is only going to improve with time. With the Carnes Crossroads development coming out by Cane Bay it wouldn't surprise me if another Towne Centre type place popped up this way one day. quote]

We live in Cane-Bay and right now you can get a lot of home for the money. About the Carnes Crossroads, its already happening...Daniel Island group is developing that area into another "town center"...It will be anchored by Harris Teeter. You can get an idea of what it will look like, Carnes, A Daniel Island Company Township in The Greater Charleston Area

SCJJ, great pics btw!
So there will be a Harris Teeter AND a Publix? I sure hope they don't close the one by me.

Yes, nice pics!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,997,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
So there will be a Harris Teeter AND a Publix? I sure hope they don't close the one by me.
The Publix will be right near the entrance to Cane Bay, HWY 176. Teeter will be approx 4 miles down the road from there...

Which Pub's are you talking about? Goose Creek? Definitely won't close that one...And the other off Trolley Rd isn't going anywhere nor the one in Knightsville...

Old 03-20-2008, 01:59 PM

528 posts, read 1,513,711 times
Great shots SCJJ! Thanks for posting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area