Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 26,634 times

Advertisements

My husband has recently taken a job in Orangeburg, SC. We are from Birmingham, AL and are looking to live somewhere close to Charleston. We have been told Summerville is our best bet. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods in Summerville that are still close to the main city and interstate? (if anything) If there are better places to live that keep us close to charleston without the expensive realestate I'd be glad to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 04:59 PM

32 posts, read 114,292 times
What price range are you looking for?
We live in Legend Oaks. It would be an OK commute via the 'back way' to the interstate. It is close to Charleston as well. The schools are wonderful!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 PM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,603 times
I have also heard Legend Oaks is excellent!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:39 AM

We are looking for max. $250,000. We are just under 30 and still want to be close to town in summerville. Meaning, close to the grocery store, shops, restaurants. Is that applicable in Summerville?

Old 05-08-2007, 09:56 AM

356 posts, read 1,268,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkage View Post
We are looking for max. $250,000. We are just under 30 and still want to be close to town in summerville. Meaning, close to the grocery store, shops, restaurants. Is that applicable in Summerville?
we just bought a house in a 1/4 acre in Myers mill. we pd 250 and completely upgraded it. it is a nice neighborhood, away from the congestion and there is a big amenity center. there is a publix and a piggly wiggly right there. there really arent many restaurants anywhere there in summerville, just fast food, that I could see. there is a target at the beginning of the city but that area was really congested. there really isnt much shopping in summerville that I could see. (please corect if i am wrong)

Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 AM

32 posts, read 114,292 times
There are plenty of homes for around $250 - even in my neighborhood (Legend Oaks). The only real shopping in Summerville is right off the highway (Target, Walmart, Kohl's, etc).
My suggestion is to look around. We had specifics that we wanted before we moved, but then found the house and neighborhood we are in now.........We LOVED it, even though it did not meet ALL of our specifics. And, you have to remember, Summerville is growing...........BIG TIME. So, even if you live on the outskirts now, they won't be for long. For example, we are getting the new High School down the road from us. I know there will be grocery stores, etc moving out this way very soon! Good luck!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:49 AM

What can you tell me about Summerville as a community? Are there community events and activities or is Charleston the only place to enjoy outdoor and indoor activities

Old 05-08-2007, 01:29 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belladee View Post
there really arent many restaurants anywhere there in summerville, just fast food, that I could see. (please corect if i am wrong)

Ok, I'm correcting you. There is quite a few in the downtown area and others spread out around town, you just have to know where. Several brand new local restaurants just opened on Trolley Road recently. You'll find them once you live here.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:38 PM

86 posts, read 611,192 times
Summerville also has Best Buy, Dicks, Ross's and your about ten minutes to the all the restaurants and North Charleston Mall- Sears ,JC Penny's, Dillards- and regular mall stores.
I don't think you'll really be missing anything.

Summerville has the Flower town Festival and other festivals also.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:25 PM

356 posts, read 1,268,840 times
I am so glad to here that there is shopping and resturants there. I didnt see any.

here is a list of events each month. Some is in Summerville and some in other areas but I think that they are close by.

http://www.charlestonlowcountry.com/specialpages/TasteoftheTown.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area