Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 06:53 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times

Advertisements

Sheetz set to open in August/Sept.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/new-sh...in-charleston#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 07:28 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Looks like this thread needs some updates. Although it started out to promote "Restaurants and Stores in Charleston are going up," it has evolved to include businesses closing.

Here are some updates:

Elk City Bistro is now open at the former Gonzo Burgers location. I'm not sure if their hours are established yet. I tried it once while they were doing "pop ups" day by day. The food was good and the service was attentive. However, some details were definitely odd. There was nothing on the table except some napkins. No sugar, salt or pepper. When asked for no-calorie sweetener, they had none. We had to ask for ketchup for some French fries (which were had cut and really good) and the brought a little paper cup instead of bringing a bottle to the table. Those seemed like odd things, and I hope they get them straightened out soon.

Phat Daddy's On The Tracks is moving to 6th Avenue near Patrick Street. They are moving into the little blue building that used to be a bar or restaurant. Rumor has it that the Railroad Avenue location will become a taco place.

The Dairy Bar in South Charleston (formerly a Dairy Queen) has reopened. I have not been there, but a friend said the hot dogs were as good as he remembered.

The Sheetz in Kanawha City is being built. They tore down the Hooters and Captain D's buildings. Somebody organized a candlelight vigil to say goodbye to Hooters. The vigil made the national news and was mentioned on Jimmy Kimmel's TV show.

At about the same time as the Hooters vigil was announced, Budget Tapes and Records announced that, due to retirement, the store was closing. They did not say if the owners or the manager wanted to retire. It could have been either. Naturally, somebody organized a candlelight vigil to mourn the loss of "Budget."

The former "Books and Brews" location in Elk City has been rented out, but no announcement has been made yet. The owner acknowledged that an announcement would be coming soon when he was asked about the "For Rent" signs being removed.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:05 AM

A popular area food truck has opened a restaurant in Kanawha City. Oishii Hibachi, Teriyaki & Sushi opens in the former Pita Pit, which to be honest I didn't realize closed.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/life/f...ad327bf0e.html

Old 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
A popular area food truck has opened a restaurant in Kanawha City. Oishii Hibachi, Teriyaki & Sushi opens in the former Pita Pit, which to be honest I didn't realize closed.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/life/f...ad327bf0e.html
I saw a 'Coming Soon' sign for that place when I was in town a few weeks ago. Looked good - I also didn't know that Pita Pit had closed there.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:58 AM

The former Books and Brews space is being rumored to have a new tenant.

Quote:
The “for lease†signs have been taken down at the former Books & Brews restaurant at 222 West Washington St., in Charleston, with building owner Tighe Bullock teasing on Facebook that there will be a big announcement to come.

Word on the street is that the owner of Sergio’s Cucina Italiana & Steaks in Hurricane and Guadalajara Modern Mexican is the one who will be moving into the space — a rumor that seems pretty likely since said owner (Sergio LugoMata) shared Bullock’s post with two “winking†emojis.
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/life/t...1bcbcac1f.html

It's a beautiful spot, and I'm glad it won't be sitting empty for long. Elk City now needs some residential options as it continues to attract small businesses. Imagine seeing some new apartment/loft buildings bringing people within a short walk of the district.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The former Books and Brews space is being rumored to have a new tenant.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/life/t...1bcbcac1f.html

It's a beautiful spot, and I'm glad it won't be sitting empty for long. Elk City now needs some residential options as it continues to attract small businesses. Imagine seeing some new apartment/loft buildings bringing people within a short walk of the district.
I have relatives in Teays Valley who say Sergio's is quite good. That would be a nice addition as Charleston can always use some better Italian options - although I have heard Ristorante Abruzzi is really good. Anything over Fazio's which I've never been a huge fan of. Mediocre food and in the past rude front desk staff, etc.

Re: apartments in Elk City- a big yes Chris. That could be great to bring in some more foot traffic.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I have relatives in Teays Valley who say Sergio's is quite good. That would be a nice addition as Charleston can always use some better Italian options - although I have heard Ristorante Abruzzi is really good. Anything over Fazio's which I've never been a huge fan of. Mediocre food and in the past rude front desk staff, etc.

Re: apartments in Elk City- a big yes Chris. That could be great to bring in some more foot traffic.
I find it ridiculous that no developer has been interested in building a new apartment building near downtown. There's been plenty of converting old buildings over to lofts, but no new construction (that isn't low income housing). Is the desirability of Charleston that low that it can't get a single new apartment building?

They don't have to start out huge. Just one 3-4 story complex with 20-30 units. If I had my way, I would turn that terribly placed Family Dollar in Elk City into a nice 4/5 story apartment building with Mea Cuppa occupying the bottom floor.

Something kind of like this

Old 03-22-2024, 07:13 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Go ahead and buy some land and build an apartment building. It sounds like you're interested in doing that, but I doubt you've really checked out how it's working.

I'm basing my opinion on personal observations, not any official source. I don't think the existing downtown residential space is anywhere near fully utilized. The loft apartments at the Boulevard & Hale are not full, the Atlas Building isn't full (and that owner is doing another building), Park View Loft has at least one unit empty, and 900 Lee has openings.

People seem to like living downtown. There just doesn't seem to be enough of them.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Go ahead and buy some land and build an apartment building. It sounds like you're interested in doing that, but I doubt you've really checked out how it's working.

I'm basing my opinion on personal observations, not any official source. I don't think the existing downtown residential space is anywhere near fully utilized. The loft apartments at the Boulevard & Hale are not full, the Atlas Building isn't full (and that owner is doing another building), Park View Loft has at least one unit empty, and 900 Lee has openings.

People seem to like living downtown. There just doesn't seem to be enough of them.
A lot of what's being done downtown is not affordable for the average working adult. I absolutely believe you in the fact that most of these places have vacancy. But is the reason they aren't being filled because they aren't affordable?

I'm simply asking the question of why. Why can't this city develop like any other city of its stature? As poor as the economic conditions are in the KV, it's really a head scratcher that the area can't attract a single developer to build a new apartment building. It's happening all over the country, in big and small cities alike. People moving back into urban centers, even after COVID. It's not just college towns either. My generation likes to live in walkable environments, with access to services. Elk City has the potential to serve that demographic, and still be removed from the CBD.

Charleston and Kanawha County is still struggling to keep its population around. That's probably the biggest hurdle that the city faces. They have no population momentum to stoke demand on the housing front. All comes down to jobs.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

Mensa have you seen or heard anything about progress on the apartments at the old Food Among the Flowers near Sacred Heart? I heard that was supposed to be converted to apartments- I know not the same side of town but that is a good location within walking distance to Capitol and Summers Streets. I wonder what the sales are like at the apartments in the old Huntington Bank building? To Chris' point they seemed priced rather high but that is prime location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston