Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 07:32 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I find it ridiculous that no developer has been interested in building a new apartment building near downtown. There's been plenty of converting old buildings over to lofts, but no new construction (that isn't low income housing). Is the desirability of Charleston that low that it can't get a single new apartment building?

They don't have to start out huge. Just one 3-4 story complex with 20-30 units. If I had my way, I would turn that terribly placed Family Dollar in Elk City into a nice 4/5 story apartment building with Mea Cuppa occupying the bottom floor.

Something kind of like this

Yes! That would be great or even converting some of the top floors of the buildings in Elk City right on Washington Street. Either way, it doesn't seem like some of these places will stay vacant for long. I think part of it had to do with debuting so close to the still awkward post COVID world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 07:22 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Mensa have you seen or heard anything about progress on the apartments at the old Food Among the Flowers near Sacred Heart? I heard that was supposed to be converted to apartments- I know not the same side of town but that is a good location within walking distance to Capitol and Summers Streets. I wonder what the sales are like at the apartments in the old Huntington Bank building? To Chris' point they seemed priced rather high but that is prime location.

After hearing that 1030 Quarrier was going to be redone, I walked up the street when I was out to hear jazz at The ROQ. All I could see was brown paper on all the windows. It's only a 3 or 4 story building, so it's not a massive addition to the housing stock. It's next door to the former Food Among The Flowers. They could span the same foundation. Except for listening to jazz, I don't get to that part of town often.

BTW, there ARE apartments above the stores in Elk City and lots more housing within a block of the Elk City stores. I know a guy that owns a business there that lives a block back from Sadaro's

Old 03-25-2024, 07:32 PM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
After hearing that 1030 Quarrier was going to be redone, I walked up the street when I was out to hear jazz at The ROQ. All I could see was brown paper on all the windows. It's only a 3 or 4 story building, so it's not a massive addition to the housing stock. It's next door to the former Food Among The Flowers. They could span the same foundation. Except for listening to jazz, I don't get to that part of town often.

BTW, there ARE apartments above the stores in Elk City and lots more housing within a block of the Elk City stores. I know a guy that owns a business there that lives a block back from Sadaro's
The "Food Among the Flowers" building is the 1030 Lofts project. The whole building has been renovated. I posted a link to a recent article about it on the Urban Renewal Thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/char...thread-42.html

Old 04-21-2024, 09:31 AM

Restaurants and Stores in Charleston are also going down.

Tidewater Grill and the Chop House were permanently closed at the end of business on Saturday, April 20. No public announcement was made, and the employees were not given any notice. Both restaurants were owned by the same company, Main Street. I've seen speculation that the parent company is in trouble. I also saw speculation that this closure was a reaction to the news Friday that the Macy's property was officially turned over to the city and demolition will begin Monday. That doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the sports complex would attract many people to use the restaurants.

Stay tuned for further developments.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,512,011 times
Quote:

Tidewater Grill and the Chop House were permanently closed at the end of business on Saturday, April 20. No public announcement was made, and the employees were not given any notice. Both restaurants were owned by the same company, Main Street. I've seen speculation that the parent company is in trouble. I also saw speculation that this closure was a reaction to the news Friday that the Macy's property was officially turned over to the city and demolition will begin Monday. That doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the sports complex would attract many people to use the restaurants.

I agree with you, it doesn’t make any sense. There has to be more to the story. I was stunned when I read that on Facebook this morning.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:11 AM

Quote:

Absolutely heartbreaking news for the CTC. There was nothing like those two restaurants anywhere, and I can’t imagine the mall finding eateries to replace them.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Absolutely heartbreaking news for the CTC. There was nothing like those two restaurants anywhere, and I can’t imagine the mall finding eateries to replace them.
I don't think the mall owners will even try to fill the space. All they did when Panera moved out was put up a sign. When the stores inside close, they just put up another mural.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I don't think the mall owners will even try to fill the space. All they did when Panera moved out was put up a sign. When the stores inside close, they just put up another mural.
Same with Five Guys and Qdoba spaces. All perfectly good spaces, but still empty years later. I have no faith in the current owners, and ultimately think they are being a hinderance instead of an asset to the city.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Well, the news just keeps on coming. Bridge Road Bistro is closing within a week.

The official announcement may be made on Friday.

Old Today, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Well, the news just keeps on coming. Bridge Road Bistro is closing within a week.

The official announcement may be made on Friday.
Wow.

I’m really surprised by this one. Tidewater and the Chop House were disappointing, but less surprising. I thought that BRB was going to be a forever staple in South Hills. There space will be easier to fill with a new occupant, but it may not be a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston