Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 05:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

I don't see anything on that map that indicates an creek/body of water large enough to be considered a "river" as such. I hope someone else has info on this, as now I am wondering if I made it up, lol.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
I would rather not be dragged through underground like a troglodyte on an old fashioned subway. If Charlotte wants to show it is forward thinking then it ought to do something more innovative like these people did 40 years ago.

Shonan train serves an upscale beach suburban area about 50 miles out of Tokyo. It was opened in 1971.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh, that is very interesting! Have ridden in Philly's system on many occasions but had no idea as to the construction (altho that certainly would make sense!) It surely could be done, but dear me . . . expense of such an engineering feat here in Charlotte . . . I guess it would make that 10 miles of streetcar track look like a bargain, lol!

BTW - love your idea for a documentary.
Thank, Ani.

Since this is not the Philadelphia board, I won't go into detail on what they did, but it's common knowledge, there.

Philly's system is old, but keep in mind that the subway system consists of the Broad St Subway & the Market-Frankford Subway-Elevated. They might have to do something similar here, because of the water table. It would be more cost-effective to forget the streetcar thing, work on the light-rail & figure out ways to incorporate short runs of subways in the system.

They would be much better off to look at Philly's system. It's the oldest in the MidAtlantic. There's also a commuter line that goes in from South Jersey, the PATCO line, that San Francisco studied when they were planning their BART system.

I was thinking that an easy addition to the documentary would be almost a freebee. The train from Gastonia that Charlotte doesn't want.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Spoiler
Quote:
I don't see anything on that map that indicates an creek/body of water large enough to be considered a "river" as such. I hope someone else has info on this, as now I am wondering if I made it up, lol.

LOL no ok you win I gotta spread reps.. I hate hear say and do my best to
provide link to facts give me a minute Ill get it for you.
It Run by Alcoa the lake is.
The creek is in walking distance from my moms You can get to it from Finch Park.
The trail is rugged .. I mean the type with tree trunk limbs . hold on limbs.. sometimes they break .plan to roll down the cliff lol
Spoiler
When your a kid your fearless

Duracell battery used to dump mercury in creek; on some days
the creek was just moving .
Spoiler
RIP ERIC VONCANNON

My ancestors on my dad's side settled down this creek.
Im not sure of the validity of Daniel Boone story.. well anyways

answer:
This state already known for Pig waste .
Why not just accept the times (Crazy thought not serious) use our creeks as sewage draining pipes . create jobs from developer to
the workers who will lay the pipe.
Spoiler

Thats what the oil Spill is its job creation. Sea life thats what aquariums are for. Import tax like heck for all imported fish.
Sign of the times.

Spoiler
found another man failure on trying to over take our waters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Ru...ectric_Project

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-08-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Spoiler

LOL no ok you win I gotta spread reps.. I hate hear say and do my best to
provide link to facts give me a minute Ill get it for you.
It Run by Alcoa the lake is.
The creek is in walking distance from my moms You can get to it from Finch Park.
The trail is rugged .. I mean the type with tree trunk limbs . hold on limbs.. sometimes they break .plan to roll down the cliff lol
Spoiler
When your a kid your fearless

Duracell battery used to dump mercury in creek; on some days
the creek was just moving .
Spoiler
RIP ERIC VONCANNON

My ancestors on my dad's side settled down this creek.
Im not sure of the validity of Daniel Boone story.. well anyways

answer:
This state already known for Pig waste .
Why not just accept the times (Crazy thought not serious) use our creeks as sewage draining pipes . create jobs from developer to
the workers who will lay the pipe.
Spoiler

Thats what the oil Spill is its job creation. Sea life thats what aquariums are for. Import tax like heck for all imported fish.
Sign of the times.

Spoiler
found another man failure on trying to over take our waters
Bull Run Hydroelectric Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spoiler
I know I saw a map! It is driving me bananas! If you find a map showing this area that was filled in, please post it cause I know I didn't dream it up. It may have been filled in sometime in the 18th Century but for some reason, I think it was the 19th Century.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I would rather not be dragged through underground like a troglodyte on an old fashioned subway. If Charlotte wants to show it is forward thinking then it ought to do something more innovative like these people did 40 years ago.

Shonan train serves an upscale beach suburban area about 50 miles out of Tokyo. It was opened in 1971.

Nice train! I kept waiting for Godzilla to show up and smash it!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Spoiler
I know I saw a map! It is driving me bananas! If you find a map showing this area that was filled in, please post it cause I know I didn't dream it up. It may have been filled in sometime in the 18th Century but for some reason, I think it was the 19th Century.
Ani, I think that what you want is going to be at the library. http://gis.mecklenburgcountync.gov/h...asp?searchtext=.#

Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I think that what you want is going to be at the library. http://gis.mecklenburgcountync.gov/h...asp?searchtext=.#
What library? Do we still have libraries????

Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
What library? Do we still have libraries????
Your library. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story (the main one, I suppose), if, of course, it's still open.

Emissary's scenario keeps popping up in my mind of the streetcar puttering down the road, past the shuttered libraries & schools to the boarded up mall. . . & if I might add. . .while Jonathan Winters, dressed as Maude Frickert stands at the front announcing the stops & giving tourist tips.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:23 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Awwwww , why is there so much angry and idk what to call against this line? And 25 Million $$$ is a tiny drop in the bucket.........hahah. A subway , oh dear your cities density is way to low. Wait another 20 years , and your 2030 plan is pathetic. Way to small for the growth that will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte