Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Women who drive by themselves? So because I have the independence to drive 12+ hrs, that means a serial killer is going to come after me? I'm pretty sure I would more likely be killed taking a bus or train then I would be driving alone in my car. I don't pick up hitchhikers, and I don't let strangers in my car. How exactly are these supposed killers going to get me? I find it sick and disgusting to claim that a woman who wants to drive by herself is going to end up raped and left to die.

Sorry that I'm not one of those people who are afraid of the world. Yes, I know there are bad people in the world and I need to be aware of my surroundings, but that does not mean I should be afraid for my life if I feel like visiting my family.
Can't rep you anymore, Sunday, but, I agree totally. Just because we don't carry weapons (firearms) does NOT make us easy targets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 06:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I was a passenger in a land yacht that drove the Kanc in a blizzard back in the late 80s so I know how unpredictible that road can be. The driver was a real horse's azz. He thought that that it was more direct to head up Rt93 to Loon then go across to Conway (our destination) than it was to go straight up 95 to 16. Talk about being terrified. All you could see was snow. There weren't any other cars on the road though we did tuck in behind a plow about halfway across.

I'm thinking you have a few angels watching over you & pushing those dang tourists & critters out of the way.
Been ther done that on a fool's errand. New service manager and state inspection school, which had been to 4 times before. The killer was I lived 9 miles north off the Kanc in Bartlett then and could have taken Bear Notch. And in white out conditions. 6 guys in a wabbit wasn't any fun.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I had to leave the computer yesterday right after my last post and only returned a little while ago. I was sad to see the misunderstanding between you and Ani, though it looks like you two worked it out

I wanted to expand on what you said above about being certain you are willing to actually use lethal force before you ever arm yourself.

This is the first question any person considering becoming a gun owner has to be brutally honest with themselves about.

While I completely support the right to bear arms, the truth is some among us are just not up to the challenge. If guns "scare" you, or if you know for sure you could never live with having to take another life, then you are not up to the challenge.

Those not up to the challenge are dangerous, and in danger, when in the possession of a firearm, they're better off with a guard dog

Can't tell about her, but my hide is real thick. I meant no harm, and am just peachy fine. I hope she and I are ok now, but I can't say I know it.

I know I tawk funny, and have ways of getting misunderstood. I been shooting flinters for a very long time, any modern guns are cake.

I won a turkey shoot once in a shot gun class of guns, I used a Nor' West Gun a flinter common in around 1826, in .62 cal apx 20 gauge. After i won i was accused of cheating I guess a flinter is better than modern guns.
it had no rear sight and we all were shooting slugs but me as that gun won't shoot slugs it shoots a cloth patched round ball. I was just shottin' for fun and didn't care aboyt the dinner prize a turkey with fixin's. So I took the hit easy, but I still don't know how I was cheating.

In life, I don't make cheating a habit.

Maybe if she takes a little time to get to know me things will be ok. I can never decide for others. I thought I was being pro female. I think I am.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:47 PM

The posts on women driving alone caught my eye. My wife and I both practice a few minor rules when we go to a mall shopping. We are very remote rural dwellers and you couldn't drag either of us to a place like Chicago.

Anyway the rule is to park the car far from other cars and if it's night under a parking lot lamp, noting the number on the pole if any.

Entering the mall stores we remove any outter garment if possible, and for 3/4ers the year it is.

Then go to see the vehical at a distance to see if anyone is going at it, to break in. She knows that if someone is to get mall security. I just would go back.

On the side of that coin before she even tries a door, she looks in the car on the floor in the back seats or else where. So do I. So far just once, I made a guy very unhappy doing this.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Maybe if she takes a little time to get to know me things will be ok. I can never decide for others. I thought I was being pro female. I think I am.
I think you're fine Mac. I'm sure the others will figure out you're good people.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Women who drive by themselves? So because I have the independence to drive 12+ hrs, that means a serial killer is going to come after me? I'm pretty sure I would more likely be killed taking a bus or train then I would be driving alone in my car. I don't pick up hitchhikers, and I don't let strangers in my car. How exactly are these supposed killers going to get me? I find it sick and disgusting to claim that a woman who wants to drive by herself is going to end up raped and left to die.

Sorry that I'm not one of those people who are afraid of the world. Yes, I know there are bad people in the world and I need to be aware of my surroundings, but that does not mean I should be afraid for my life if I feel like visiting my family.
This is an epic WIN post.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
I think you're fine Mac. I'm sure the others will figure out you're good people.
Yes, I most certainly have, lol. Something got lost in translation evidently, which is not unheard of when posting online!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:43 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, I most certainly have, lol. Something got lost in translation evidently, which is not unheard of when posting online!
Too much homemade Sangria & not enough attention for Miss Scarlett I'm thinking.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 AM

Ah well, it's nice to know I won't be burned at the stake or caressed. In the early days before the USA was, the natives tended to caress those they didn't care for much, passing the gaunlett was one way, that way was better than many others.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Too much homemade Sangria & not enough attention for Miss Scarlett I'm thinking.
Made another batch of Sangria just now . . . this is getting to be a weekend ritual, lol.

Mac - naaaaahhh. The only thing I care about grilling are pork butts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte