Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 PM

40 posts, read 71,464 times

Advertisements

Oh great oracle of City-Data! I pose a question to you!

Say a subdivision is being built and the club house and ammenities go in nicely and a couple of blocks worth of homes get purchased and built and then - BLAMO! - the economy hits the crapper and no more people come to buy any more homes and now there are only 20 or 30 homeowners where there should have been 150 and there are big mounds of dirt and empty lots and the HOA was going to be supported by those 150 homes, what happends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,709 times
Those 20 or 30 home owners HOA dues would go through the roof. If everyone is gone and no one else is building, then someone has to pay for upkeep of the amenities and grounds that are built.

I'm not an expert on the subject, so take that for what it's worth. It's just IMO

Old 09-12-2010, 06:01 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,556,288 times
I tend to agree with Mike409. In another HOA, same situation and the existing homeowners are now responsible for all of the expenses.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:44 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,399 times
You need to look closer to the HOA covenants and by-laws to see who pays for what.

- Are there dues being paid on the unsold/unbuild lots?
- Who is responsible for the clubhouse and pool? In many neighborhoods that is completely separate.
- Are the final roads put in? Have they been turned over to the county for maintenance?
- What about the street lights? Who maintains those?

Until things build up to a certain point, many things cannot be turned over to the municipalities to take care of. You could be stuck for more than just the pool and weed covered lots. Depending on what the HOA papers say, you could be handed a bill for thousands to pay for roads, etc.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Oh no MooCow... tread carefully.

I think I know what you're running into, though. Building exactly what you want is less expensive then resales offering less finish. It's one thing I'm watching closely - when I can't build something cheaper with significantly more finish then resales in the area I'll know that prices are about right. As of now, resales are still way inflated for what they offer.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,680 times
I read an article about this months ago. Said never purchase lots in these new subdivisions unless you know they are at least 50% sold. I also see a condo division not far from my son's home that was built 4 years ago, it's till only about 1/4th if that, full. I often wondered how much those people's HOA fees are. And though it's wonderful to build your own home, or have 1st pick of a new condo, it's a risk one has to take. Many times, the builder himself is responsible for maintaing the HOA for a certain amount of years/or sales. However, I have seen builders, who just stopped building and or never finished the pools, clubhouses etc.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:52 PM

40 posts, read 71,464 times
Default Thanks for the info!

I appreciate all your input!!! Not to fear - I am asking purely as a query.
My realtor brought us to a new construction neighborhood that we loved and there were only 7 lots left. But I was wondering how it work if the sales went the other way.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:34 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Run away...run away. HOAs are the bane of society and the easy out for the city not doing what you pay taxes for. Think of it like this...it's yet ANOTHER tax that you have to pay to get the same services!

Old 09-16-2010, 03:33 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Run away...run away. HOAs are the bane of society and the easy out for the city not doing what you pay taxes for. Think of it like this...it's yet ANOTHER tax that you have to pay to get the same services!
A truly terrible tax!! It's like some sort of Imperial council.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:53 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The cow says moo. View Post
I appreciate all your input!!! Not to fear - I am asking purely as a query.
My realtor brought us to a new construction neighborhood that we loved and there were only 7 lots left. But I was wondering how it work if the sales went the other way.
Even with most of the lots sold, I still suggest checking that the roads have been turned over to the city or county before you buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte