Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:33 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,939 times

Advertisements

Union county schools are excellent. I have children enrolled and could not be happier...even with the growing population. Indian trail, weddington and matthews all have well rated schools. If you need further info, check out greatschools.net and you can find out all kinds of info on any area. hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 05:55 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutth View Post
Great advice here. Glad I logged on. Does anyone love their real estate agent? We're moving to the Lake Norman area and get calls from several different
realtors in the Charlotte area a day. Don't know who to go with yet.
Coming there next week to look at the areas, and don't know what to expect.I'm from Richmond, but grew up in Philly and like smaller areas with a good community feel to them. I'm hoping to like Davidson, as my parents are in Swarthmore, PA and I love that town. Are any of these areas like that? Real villagy, if you get my drift!

Any advice would be appreciated beyond belief!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I love my Agent and would put you in contact with him if your interested

The birkdale area is popular and only mins from Davidson. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Forgot about Birkdale. That would probably be the closest thing to what you're describing. Tends to be on the $$$ side and have seen on the news that some of the residents are complaining about the noise on the weekends. But other than that it's a pretty nice area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent
Oh North Grad '94
Go Vikings!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:59 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
That's funny that residents are complaining about the noise. That's how it was designed for shopping during the day and eating and drinking at night. IF they were worried about noise they could have moved on the other side of 73

Old 09-25-2006, 06:08 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,446 times
Was thinking same thing while watching the report.(Fox 18) Can't please everyone.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:32 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutth View Post
Great advice here. Glad I logged on. Does anyone love their real estate agent? We're moving to the Lake Norman area and get calls from several different
realtors in the Charlotte area a day. Don't know who to go with yet.
Coming there next week to look at the areas, and don't know what to expect.I'm from Richmond, but grew up in Philly and like smaller areas with a good community feel to them. I'm hoping to like Davidson, as my parents are in Swarthmore, PA and I love that town. Are any of these areas like that? Real villagy, if you get my drift!

Any advice would be appreciated beyond belief!

Davidson is nice, if you don't like it, I'll eat my hat

Charlotte agent would be my agent

Old 09-25-2006, 06:34 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
That's funny that residents are complaining about the noise. That's how it was designed for shopping during the day and eating and drinking at night. IF they were worried about noise they could have moved on the other side of 73
The noise wouldn't bother me. I love Birkdale.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:23 AM

473 posts, read 1,578,979 times
Red face Options to Birkdale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
The noise wouldn't bother me. I love Birkdale.
I wish I could afford Birkdale Village! As far as the noise, there are areas that are still in Birkdale but not as close to the bars and restaurants. But they are also concerned about noise up at Lake Norman, I believe it's Jetton Cove and the bars have been there long before that development popped up, as far as I understand it. If they are concerned about noise, they should have picked their homes accordingly!

We moved here 7 months ago and live in Huntersville. I love it here! We were limited by my husband's travel as far as location, so we were looking north and east of Charlotte. I was not impressed personally with Concord Kannapolis and it was about the same distance to my husband's job as Huntersville. But absolutely loved Huntersville!

As far as Davidson, Cornelius, and Mooresville, they are absolutely gorgeous but the commute to Charlotte would be a concern for me. We live just off I-77, exit 23 in Rosedale. The thing that's nice about that, my husband stays in the right hand lane and drives right off the exit, literally by the traffic jam. The right hand lane turns into exit 23 and the traffic jam seems to start right around our exit. Even Birkdale is exit 25 and those couple of miles can be horrendous, not to mention having to drive to Davidson, Cornelius, or Mooresville! I would have loved to live in any of those areas but the commute was just not going to work.

The residents in our development are so friendly. We have monthly ladies Bunco that I enjoy. Our neighborhood is almost complete and we have a 2 year warranty on our homes. The builder is a top builder in Charlotte and ranks #1 & #2 for their companies. A 3000 sq ft house, 4-5 bdr/2.5-3 ba/2cg for $250-275. The houses are ready to move in, too, and then as soon as we bought ours, it was appraised for $16k more than what we paid, some others in our neighborhood in the $30k range! We had sold our other house and had buyers pushing us out, so we couldn’t wait for a better deal. I think we did fine. Our house also has the master on the first floor and that can be huge when it comes to resale, considering there’s a lack of ranch homes here.

The schools for this development are good and they are Torrence Creek Elem., Bradley Middle, and Hopewell High. Hopewell is certainly not North Mecklenburg High! Do not get those confused…

I have some shopping and additional shopping coming in at our exit. It’s supposed to be open air like Birkdale but a much smaller scale. I’m hoping it will add to our home value. Not to mention Birkdale is around the corner and Exit 18 has Northlake Mall. Concord Mills Mall is a 25 minute drive, along with Lowes Motor Speedway. There are all kinds of medical offices here, including the huge Presbyterian Hospital. I go to Charlotte for very little, only for needs that a major city would provide.

I know that there is a realtor on this board but I don’t personally know her. I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes but I’ve had several realtors for buying/selling homes, and found an excellent one here that specializes in sections north and east of Charlotte. She was great and one of our neighbors used her, too, and loved her. She specializes in buyers but will represent sellers as a courtesy if you bought your house through her. This is a great area!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:11 PM

43 posts, read 154,570 times
calicuffs
if you want to email me I will be happy to discuss the Union County Schools with you. All 3 of my kids attended the Union County School System, my email is uwobm@yahoo.com

Old 01-11-2007, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,958 times
Default Relocation to Charlotte

There is an excellent public school in Charlotte/Mecklenburg County:
Smith Academy of foreign languages - It is a NC public school that offers 5 foreign languages: 1. French, 2. German 3. Spanish 4. Japanese 5. Chinese.
it is from K-8th grade and offers the nc curriculum half a day in the foreign language and half a day in English -
Excellent opportunity to raise a child bi-lingual -

Also - The Union County Schools South/east of Charlotte are excellent.

If you need any other information or help for your relocation
You can contact me anytime

Silke Eyles
Weichert, REALTLORS, Rebhan@Associates
Charlotte-Southpark Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayugalaker View Post
Hi! My wife and I and our 7-yr son are keenly interested in relocating from upstate NY to the Charlotte, NC. We've driven through the area a number of times on our way to Florida and absolutely love it!

I am in the computer software business and I'm currently a manager of QA for a software development company. My wife is finishing up her degree in elementary education. I was hoping that I could get some feedback from some nice folks on what types of employment opportunities exist in the Charlotte area for each of us. I'm currently connected with all of the online search engines (i.e. Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, etc.) and it would seem that there are definitely opportunities for me.

Also, we'd like to get feedback on what neighborhoods we should consider in terms of good schools, family-oriented communities, etc.

We're looking to make the move as soon as I can find the right position so wish us lots of luck and we can't wait to call Charlotte home one day soon!

Steve A.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Hi there
We will be living in Denver which is Lincoln County schools. Would the above school be too far to travel to>? It sounds like a wonderful school and coming from europe, it would be fantastic.

thanks
dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte