Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
Why would you reject the flashing arrow when it means losing millions in highway money? I have driven in Pennsylvania and their roads are not such that they can afford to turn down money for their improvement.
I am trying to think of a reason a sane politician would outright reject them.
It is an insult to their constituents. Essentially they are saying "my people are too clueless to understand".

But there may be some truth to that based on this thread, lol. Think about how dumb the average person is... And think about the fact that HALF the people are even dumber than that. Scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
You really like these things huh

Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 AM

1,094 posts, read 883,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
Florida just got the flashing yellow arrows in June. So there will be an adjusting period.

There are still 10 states with no installed flashing yellow arrows. The state versions of the MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) have not yet been updated to contain them:

Hawaii
Indiana (It's in the law, but not yet in the InDOT version of the MUTCD)
Massachusetts*
Nebraska
North Dakota
Ohio (It's in the law, but not in the field)
Pennsylvania (They don't seem to want it)*
Rhode Island
Tennessee
West Virginia

* Has never fully complied with the USDOT MUTCD.

In addition, there are some flashing yellow arrows installed in New York, even though the state has neither passed a law defining it as a yield nor included it in the state MUTCD.
Update: Charlotte has now had the flashing yellow arrow for over a year.

And now only 4 states do not have the flashing yellow arrow:

Hawaii (never has considered it)
Maryland (the legislature rescinded its previous approval, and requires the flashing red arrow instead)
Pennsylvania (the legislature does not want it)
West Virginia (never has considered it)

Now that this time has passed, are people understanding it better in the Charlotte area?

Old 11-29-2014, 05:14 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It is an insult to their constituents. Essentially they are saying "my people are too clueless to understand".
Too many people think the purpose is to clarify when people may turn left, rather than to prevent yellow trap. Even too many politicians think that.

And since it is now a federal standard, nobody will be able to stop it by complaining.

Didn't Charlotte put up a sign by each signal to explain? Our signals have signs that say:

LEFT TURN YIELD ON FLASHING YELLOW ARROW

Anyone should be able to understand that.

Update: Hawaii now has flashing yellow arrow signals. That leave just the three other states.

Now that more time has passed, are people understanding it better in the Charlotte area? Nobody answered me the last time.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:24 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
I don't know anyone who had any difficulty with the flashing yellow, save for members of this forum. And I'd imagine that by now even the few who did have a problem have adjusted.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
I agree, I think I was one once this went into effect had a problem but definitely have adjusted.

However I have notice inconsistency of how it used in various towns in this state and sometimes wish it would be used in lanes that a right on red can be done as I seen drivers just sit there with no traffic coming from other direction

I notice in certain intersections, I think it was in Huntersville it will start flashing yellow then switch to green arrow (a method that should be used in any high volume intersection).
I like this as sometimes there really isnt a break in traffic to make the turn under flashing yellow.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:28 PM

444 posts, read 581,911 times
It appears these go through a cycle, flashing yellow, then solid green, every other cycle. In most cases, not all, the turning lane has less traffic, so I think the reasoning is it allows the straight traffic to get a longer light every other cycle to more efficiently filter traffic...and if you are lucky sitting at a flashing yellow, you can still go if there isn't a lot of oncoming traffic. For me, I do not like it when only 5 cars get through an intersection until the light turns red again.The DOT could do a better job with timing the lights. I believe LA just spent a boatload of tax dollars to upgrade the timing of their system, but I have not heard if it worked.

Last edited by VT'ah; 12-04-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 01:35 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I agree, I think I was one once this went into effect had a problem but definitely have adjusted.

However I have notice inconsistency of how it used in various towns in this state and sometimes wish it would be used in lanes that a right on red can be done as I seen drivers just sit there with no traffic coming from other direction

I notice in certain intersections, I think it was in Huntersville it will start flashing yellow then switch to green arrow (a method that should be used in any high volume intersection).
I like this as sometimes there really isnt a break in traffic to make the turn under flashing yellow.
There's one near the Arboretum. It took me by surprise as it was random. It started out flashing yellow, so I am watching intently for a break in traffic. About a few minutes later, it turned into a steady green...but cars were still coming. Then when the last of the run through the red lights stopped and I was able to go, it had reverted back to flashing yellow. SIGH.

Just start with a damn green arrow and then turn to yellow!

Old 03-14-2015, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,947 times
We are having a major traffic light problem in Charlotte. Yelllow arrows are not blinking for caution, they are solid yellow while the oncoming cars have a green light that should be a red light. I believe there is a City Computer Programming problem in our city. Near accidents everywhere. If any city wishes to change the solid yellow light to a caution light, there would be much less confusion/accidents/near accidents for drivers along with less stoplight City computer programmed problems which are causing accidents, if they would make a caution light a flashing ORANGE, or Do Away with the flashing yellow light all together as it is malfunctioning as a solid yellow light while oncoming cars have a green light. This is a very dangerous way to keep traffic flowing in any City.

Our traffic attorneys and staff are consistently as about the legality of going through a intersection on a yellow light. The statute clearly forbids entering the intersection on a red light, but does allow for entering the intersection while the light is yellow.

North Carolina General Statute §20-158 governs the rules regarding Stop Lights. This is the same statute that governs stop sign tickets and as such many of the rules are stop lights and signs are synonymous. There are many violations which stem from traffic control devices including turning on red, yielding, and flashing red lights.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:33 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,783 times
I hate them! They appeared in Charlotte a few years back, and I have always despised them. I live in Seattle now, and they have them here, too. They suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte