Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
I wonder if Jesus ever said, "I want to move to a place with less people from the NE"?
Thats an odd thing to say

Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 AM

53 posts, read 202,839 times
What a Bigot!!!

Go back to Michigan, Wisconsin, or Peoria, or wherever you are from.

Southerner who just moved to "Joisey"

You are creating "a situation"!!!

Snooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmommy View Post
Thank you for your input! I've heard about Clover, so I'll check that out.

And for those of you who are criticizing my post because you're from the NE, please don't post a reply! That's exactly what I mean when I say I moved to get away from the NE people. If you love it there, good for you, and when I lived there, I was thoughtful enough not to complain to people from there. That's just manners. But I would prefer a politer society with friendlier people who welcome you and who don't tailgate you!

Any other ideas of good areas with Southerners/Midwesterners around here? Thank you again lovesMountains!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:25 PM

140 posts, read 272,364 times
I find this very interesting. I have lived in Charlotte for over a year and really like it. I'm originally from Long Island and worked in NYC for 9 years. I have met many people in NC and SC who have said, "Wow...I visited NYC recently and was very surprised at how friendly the people were". So, I guess it just depends on who you ask.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexih View Post
I find this very interesting. I have lived in Charlotte for over a year and really like it. I'm originally from Long Island and worked in NYC for 9 years. I have met many people in NC and SC who have said, "Wow...I visited NYC recently and was very surprised at how friendly the people were". So, I guess it just depends on who you ask.
I know what you mean.

I can not tell you how many times I have been in Center City Philly & run across tourists who are lost. If I wasn't pressed for time, I walked them to their destination. Everyone I know has done the same. Yet the OP says that the people in Philadelphia are not friendly, here, but on the Philadelphia board she had the crust to say that those people are "a mean bunch" (her exact words).

It's like I said, you get back what you give out.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:57 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Pharmommy: I write this reply not to criticize, but to inform:

I hope you realize that not all people from the Northeast have undesirable traits, and there are plenty of people from the NE who are moving **to get away from** the types of attitudes that you described.

I write this because, on the surface, I might appear to be one of those types that people dislike: ethnic (Italian) in appearance; somewhat loud, and animated.

Yet none of the above attributes have anything to do with the way in which we were raised, or the values and traditions that we hold. The shame of it is, is that all too often are we typecast by what people think we are, rather than by the content of our character. During a recent visit I noticed that a few folks held us at an arms length, making judgments before getting to know us.

Thankfully, we were embraced by some really great native folks, who more than made up for the folks who kept their distance .

Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 PM

140 posts, read 272,364 times
Love it, NDL. My mom (who is Italian) lives in South Carolina. When she first moved there, she actually had a few people say to her "WHAT are you"? Huh....what the heck does that mean?? We just laugh about it!!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexih View Post
Love it, NDL. My mom (who is Italian) lives in South Carolina. When she first moved there, she actually had a few people say to her "WHAT are you"? Huh....what the heck does that mean?? We just laugh about it!!
  • LOL! The same thing happens to me.When we started going to church in the Denver area where there are more "people like me". The priest asked me where I was from and I proceeded to tell him I was from Pumpkin Center and he said "no" NY or NJ. He said you know we kind of stand out around here. I guess so because I hadn't even said a word to him, I guess my appearance gave me away.

Last edited by ssd3; 11-09-2010 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Pharmommy: I write this reply not to criticize, but to inform:

I hope you realize that not all people from the Northeast have undesirable traits, and there are plenty of people from the NE who are moving **to get away from** the types of attitudes that you described.

I write this because, on the surface, I might appear to be one of those types that people dislike: ethnic (Italian) in appearance; somewhat loud, and animated.

Yet none of the above attributes have anything to do with the way in which we were raised, or the values and traditions that we hold. The shame of it is, is that all too often are we typecast by what people think we are, rather than by the content of our character. During a recent visit I noticed that a few folks held us at an arms length, making judgments before getting to know us.

Thankfully, we were embraced by some really great native folks, who more than made up for the folks who kept their distance .
Very well stated Pisano !!!

Old 11-09-2010, 05:25 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,863 times
You know, when I first read this post, I knew it was going to get a lot of flack for the way the questions were asked. In this respect, it became a self fulfilling prophecy. The NE (North East!) outspokenness (new word of the day) made it into this thread in flying colors. It was clear people would try to start something over it.

If the OP doesn't want around NE (I'll explain it again this is North East) then the OP has a right to such, its a (mostly) free country! There is no harm in asking where there might be more or less of them. Just like we'd recommend you might not want to live around Eastland if you don't want to be around a large hispanic population, for instance. No harm...no foul.

You aren't going to avoid it around major metros. Here in Kannapolis we've been mostly sparred. If the research center keeps gaining traction I'm sure we'll get more here.

I don't have a problem with people from the North East, although I sure as hell don't understand how you can love pizza that is thinner than paper and tastes like rubber (not that I know what rubber tastes like) in many cases

But I can say I understand the OP as those attitudes are easy to spot a mile away. If you want to move here, fine. If you don't like how that some things are not like they were back home, then please move back instead of whining "that's not how we did it in NY".

Of course, now I expect someone to break this down and come up with a blanket statement that I hate all Northerners.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
  • LOL! The same thing happens to me.When we started going to church in the Denver area where there are more "people like me". The priest asked me where I was from and I proceeded to tell him I was from Pumpkin Center and he said "no" NY or NJ. He said you know we kind of stand out around here. I guess so because I hadn't even said a word to him, I guess my appearance gave me away.
I'm betting it was your accent more than anything else that "gave you away"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte