Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganite22 View Post
Yeah, I hate those intolerant yankees that try to silence anybody who doesn't agree with them and lob broad generalizations about peoples' demeanor and driving habits. Good thing all those Midwesterners are moving here who don't behave that way.....oh, never mind.
I have found that folks who move here are wanting very much to be part of a new community. This region has become what it has b/c each person has either acted or reacted in a particular way . . . and thus, we get what we have created.

I know you are just kidding around, Reaganite, so this is not aimed at you in particular. But I think we need to stop with the generalizations about newcomers. People move here to make a new home. No matter where people are from originally, they want to have a good life here. It is up to each of us to check how we are interacting, whether on the road or in our communities . . . and realize that people may be used to a different pace elsewhere, they may be used to interacting with people differently . . . but that nearly everyone wants to have a new beginning here and is willing to do his/her part to make our communities strong and viable.

The problem with traffic here is the infrastructure - we need more lanes at bottlenecks. That is not a function of "where you are from" and how you drove there, even tho that CAN affect the rude factor . . . the way to counter this is for everyone, native and newcomer, to exercise more patience and caution.

We are all in this together. If you moved here, you may be from "somewhere else," but you are a resident of Charlotte now. How about we all just work on getting along and showing some good manners everyday? That would resolve most of the complaints right there.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM

63 posts, read 125,381 times
I think it may have never occurred to some that there are a lot of North Easterners that want the same thing--to get away from it all. Hence, why North Carolina has so many transplants. The irony is that these people who want a change for the better are now encountering some of the culture of rudeness you refer to as a result. I guess we can laugh about that. I also see the "error of the northern ways", by over taxing the people and promising benefits to government employees that cause runaway taxes and wouldn't ever go back to it. However, I worry about being "lumped" in with these types of people relocating to NC with my family. On the other hand, knowing that there are others like me from the NE who have intentions like me makes me feel a little better. I like the idea of having the southern culture and raising my kids that way, but it seems that it has changed. It is a shame.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:06 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflight View Post
I like the idea of having the southern culture and raising my kids that way, but it seems that it has changed. It is a shame.
Because it never really existed.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Because it never really existed.

But the idea sounds so good in my head!!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
But the idea sounds so good in my head!!
It's just mind-boggling to me how the poorest, least educated, and most violent region of the country has been so romanticized as having a "better way of life."

Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,895 times
Quote:
It's just mind-boggling to me how the poorest, least educated, and most violent region of the country has been so romanticized as having a "better way of life."

I'm assuming you're including Florida? They would push anyone over the top, pretty sure there's something in the water down there. Like mercury.

My wife was the instigator for relocating, as she wasn't particularly a fan of the city we met and I grew up in. We chose Charlotte due to a combination of her nixing my interest in Louisville, and having her sister, and parents living outside Roanoke, VA. We didn't move to get away from any particular aspect of life (at least according to me), and didn't think we were moving to this magical place where "life moved slower," and everyone was so polite and well behaved, ect.

To each their own, I suppose.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I'm assuming you're including Florida? They would push anyone over the top, pretty sure there's something in the water down there. Like mercury.

My wife was the instigator for relocating, as she wasn't particularly a fan of the city we met and I grew up in. We chose Charlotte due to a combination of her nixing my interest in Louisville, and having her sister, and parents living outside Roanoke, VA. We didn't move to get away from any particular aspect of life (at least according to me), and didn't think we were moving to this magical place where "life moved slower," and everyone was so polite and well behaved, ect.

To each their own, I suppose.
As the Southern saying goes, "Thank God for Mississippi" (otherwise we'd be the 50th ranked state in public education)

I suspect most people's stories are like your own.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
I have lived many other places to include the Northeast, Southwest, and Midwest regions - it is a "better way of life" here (imo). The pure definition of mind-boggling is anyone who commutes more than 1 hour each way, deals with mobs of people rushing to "no where" daily, self-absorbed in a relentless maddening race of competing with the "jones" to boast about the quality of life. But I'm not going to degrade their ignorance or romanticize a pretentous lifestyle. I guess being able to brag about living in a certain zip code or avenue means something to a status seeker; oh, it's here too but so entrenched in some places it's assumed the norm.

Really, people living outside of the major metros in any part in the US are pretty similar (small-town minded). Didn't the Gov of PA once state about the political demographics of his state - "Between Pittsburgh and Philly is Alabama".

Violent??? it's no more violent in bugtussle NC than bugtussle WI. What are you talking about?

At least down south, we know stupid....I've yet to figure out why the rest of the country thinks that a C- is greater than a D+. I guess it makes em feel better to say the south on average is educated to a D+ but we're a C-.... get over yourselves.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:58 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I have lived many other places to include the Northeast, Southwest, and Midwest regions - it is a "better way of life" here (imo). The pure definition of mind-boggling is anyone who commutes more than 1 hour each way, deals with mobs of people rushing to "no where" daily, self-absorbed in a relentless maddening race of competing with the "jones" to boast about the quality of life. But I'm not going to degrade their ignorance or romanticize a pretentous lifestyle. I guess being able to brag about living in a certain zip code or avenue means something to a status seeker; oh, it's here too but so entrenched in some places it's assumed the norm.

Really, people living outside of the major metros in any part in the US are pretty similar (small-town minded). Didn't the Gov of PA once state about the political demographics of his state - "Between Pittsburgh and Philly is Alabama".

Violent??? it's no more violent in bugtussle NC than bugtussle WI. What are you talking about?

At least down south, we know stupid....I've yet to figure out why the rest of the country thinks that a C- is greater than a D+. I guess it makes em feel better to say the south on average is educated to a D+ but we're a C-.... get over yourselves.
That was Tim Russert. The last show of season one of 30 Rock played on it, too.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Have you been to Ballantyne? Or western Union County?

Quote:
Yeah. That was what's called a joke. You only have to look at the difference in the GOP primaries in states like Illinois vs. states like Miss. and Ala. Hate-filled politics reigns in the South, not so much in the North.

Quote:
Crime rates have for a century at least been higher in the South than in other areas of the country. It's a convenient statistical fact that Southerners like to ignore. No, bugtussle, NC is far more violent than bugtussle WI. Wisconsin's rate of 276 crimes per 1,000 residents is lower than N.C's rate of 486 crimes per 1,000 residents. Or S.C.'s 726 crimes per 1,000 residents. http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0308.pdf.

Quote:
The South celebrates stupid to a degree that other areas of the country do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte