Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 AM

716 posts, read 1,545,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
oh good grief

Her husband has already landed a job - he's not trying to find one.

I guess some people just see the word "relocation" or "Im moving to Charlotte" in the title heading and they just freak out. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
For sure look at both areas and see what feels right to you. Make sure your realtor is licensed in both states so you can explore all of your options. Two trips to explore is fine, try to spend at least three full days here on each trip. I would suggest that on the first day of the trip you explore the different areas/drive through some neighborhoods that meet your criteria. Second day, go out with your realtor and do the same, and go into a few homes and check out the area amenities so you can get a feel for the differences in the communities and builders. Then have your realtor set you up to send you listings (over the timeframe between the two trips). On the final trip, use the first two days to decide which home you like best.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:31 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMH48 View Post
All do respects...but I thank my lucky stars everyday that we chose to live north of the border as opposed to South Carolina. It is truly another planet. When we relocated here we assumed that the proximity of Charlotte to South Carolina probably erased the cultural, societal and educational differences between the two States. We couldn’t have been more wrong. Everyday I am reminded of the difference....though their drivers, the news reports, and the large plume of smoke that always seems to grace the southern sky.
That is true if you go down 521 near Indian Land, but I don't see it in the area near Tega Cay and Fort Mill west of I-77. I think if you look in that area you should be fine. We were looking in the Indian Land area and would agree with you - it seemed much more 'deep south' when we went to the restaurants and shops there.

And 90% of those drivers are from New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Michigan, or just about anywhere beside SC!

I think if you drew a big circle on the map from S. Charlotte into Fort Mill/Tega Cay you have a desirable place to raise kids. It seems that circle has been getting smaller though

Old 11-15-2010, 11:48 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
I totally agree w/rdub. Stay away from the Indianland side of Fort Mill and focus on Tega Cay and the Baxter area. Out of the options you listed, they are my two favorite. I'm not a Waxhaw fan. Though they have great schools in Union county, it's McMansion, minivan, SAHM, keeping up with the Joneses hell down there. Plus, depending upon which part of Waxhaw you live in you could be very far away from Charlotte and the amenities it offers.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:36 PM

335 posts, read 699,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I totally agree w/rdub. Stay away from the Indianland side of Fort Mill and focus on Tega Cay and the Baxter area. Out of the options you listed, they are my two favorite. I'm not a Waxhaw fan. Though they have great schools in Union county, it's McMansion, minivan, SAHM, keeping up with the Joneses hell down there. Plus, depending upon which part of Waxhaw you live in you could be very far away from Charlotte and the amenities it offers.
Very interesting...I will soon be making the move too, and I'm considering the same areas (South CLT, Tega Cay, Weddington/Waxhaw), but this is the first compare/contrast I've heard about Union Co. vs. Fort Mill. I would like to hear other's views too. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Very interesting...I will soon be making the move too, and I'm considering the same areas (South CLT, Tega Cay, Weddington/Waxhaw), but this is the first compare/contrast I've heard about Union Co. vs. Fort Mill. I would like to hear other's views too. Thanks!
Yeah, I was going to comment... I wouldn't agree with her assessment of Weddington/Waxhaw at all. The whole "keeping up" is more descriptive of the Lake Norman area then Union County in my experience. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of McMansions and SUVs down here, but that describe so much of the Charlotte metro area today.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:43 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
all I can say is "good luck".

If you can, you should consider renting for at least a year before buying. That way, you can find your niche that you are comfortable in.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,802 times
Just bought a home in the SW Charlotte area of town, near SC/Fort Mill border and love it. Creekshire Estates, big lots, great value, love the area.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:34 PM

202 posts, read 347,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMH48 View Post
All do respects...but I thank my lucky stars everyday that we chose to live north of the border as opposed to South Carolina. It is truly another planet. When we relocated here we assumed that the proximity of Charlotte to South Carolina probably erased the cultural, societal and educational differences between the two States. We couldn’t have been more wrong. Everyday I am reminded of the difference....though their drivers, the news reports, and the large plume of smoke that always seems to grace the southern sky.

I am so glad that we did not fall prey to that common Fort Mill/Rock Hill Realtors catch phrase....."Great Schools!".
i agree with this post 100%. looked north of the city davidson and into sc aswell. so glad we did not buy in either of those two places. my wife and i bought between rea rd and providence and could not be happier! one drive through and you'll know if it feels right for you. it just wasn't for us.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 PM

202 posts, read 347,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
Bad move, this state is in double digit unemployment, all those that flocked here years ago for the job market and cost of livin are now leaving by the bunches.
The state is a very poor state and has always been up or near dbl digit unemployment even before the recent downturn.
Chicago to NC, uless your already working/transfering and even if so may want to reconsider.
Also no longer the friendly South, as to many Yankee's have flooded the area virtually turning it into another Northern State where you have to be afraid to wave at passers bye.
I agree! The only things you'll find in all of NC and especially Charlotte are unemployment lines, homeless people, hookers, drug dealers, meth addicts, horrible schools. Move here if you only want to lose everything and live on the street. This place is full of despair and suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte