Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 PM

364 posts, read 635,459 times

Advertisements

I know coming back 74 > 277 > 77 in the afternoon is a little heavier. But I think the worst part is merging back onto 77 (but you can also go Beaties Ford rd). It may be a little longer. Coming back 485 in the afternoon at least around 5 isn't too bad it can be busy until you get around pineville and it may slow down some but seems to be rare that it stops or greatly slows down unless there is a wreck. But from about Northlake to Matthews in the morning is about 30-40 mins usually around 30 unless there is a wreck. Coming home it may be 35-45 minutes. I know my wife comes back from around Ballantyne to Northlake area is around 30 minutes...I don't believe she sees much of a difference morning or evening...I have gone both ways with her and don't remember there being any major difference. It can be busy around exit 59 and 61 especially in the evening. The best thing to do is drive it around the time you would typically be going. These experience are mostly around 4pm and 485 is around 5pm for going home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I disagree. It's not bad in the morning. From Rea Rd to College St is 35 minutes. On the way home, now that's a different story. 485 is the worst. From the 77 merge onto 485 up to Pineville is jam packed. And that's at 6pm or after. Never tried it right at 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:36 AM

20 posts, read 32,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think the people who live in Southend mostly party uptown. There are places in Southend like Amos's AMOSSOUTHEND.COM - Charlotte, NC - 704-377-6874 and down East Blvd into Dilworth like Caribou Coffee, Picasso's Sports Bar, Cantina 1511 where people hang out though.

You should come up South Blvd and take a right on East Blvd to check out that corner of Dilworth.

There is also a little neighborhood bar I love called Ed's Tavern. If you are heading north on South Blvd, take a right on Ideal Way. The bar is on the corner of Ideal and Park Rd, it faces Park. Ed's Tavern

And while you are in that area, if you love sushi try some of the best in Charlotte just a bit further down Park from Ed's - Ru Sans. This is also a great hangout for people your age.

In Southend be sure you find Camden Rd (off of Tremont - take a left when heading north on South Blvd toward uptown) and explore that part of the neighborhood.

Again, it may not be for you, but lots of folks your age love it there
GREAT info, lovesMountains! You get the MVP OF THE THREAD award. Enjoy that emboldened, italicized, capitalized, and underlined title. You've earned it! I suggest printing out this reply and framing it on a wall nearby your computer. Yesterday evening I took this little tour you put together for me. I have to say, I now see what the fuss is about. It's a nice area, and the roads you mentioned took me down the right pathways to get a much better feel. Thanks for taking the time to do that for me!

Despite this, the area still seems to be out of the price-range for a person like myself. I could afford $750-$850 a month and stay in one of the good suggestions that Sheenie2000 made, but I'm looking to save a little money and stick to a $650-$700 budget. Unfortunately, that kind of budget is too middle of the road for this area. You can either go above and live somewhere acceptable, or go below ($500-$600) and live in a place that's very likely got a little more insect life than I'm comfortable with. Plus those kind of places aren't in an area I'd call "conveniently situated".

I think for me to stay in my range, I'd have to go the route that GirlTravels suggested, and get a nice place with a roommate or two. It's too bad I literally know no one and am on a timetable that doesn't allow me the option of safely finding the right candidate.

In the end, I'm probably going to be staying off Harris, near Northlake Mall (Addison Park is too far east to my liking, topcheif1, but thanks for the suggestion!). I have a feeling that during my stint in CLT, I'll meet people and end up wishing I had lived closer to the Dilworth area. I can say with some conviction though (finally!), that I don't have a problem with this. That's not to say I won't spend time down there! I just don't buy the complaints about the commute, and I'm actually one of those people that tends to prefer keeping my hangouts a good reach away. Maybe that's not true, but that's how my life has typically been. So, I guess that's something I'm comfortable with.

Hey The Native 1, I don't come into your threads and make YOU do MATH! Haha. Bottom line is, I've got a motorcycle, and I actually enjoy riding to and from work. That's as long as it's not stop and go. I suspect that with the HOV lane I'll be just fine on heavier days.

Oh, and CherryTwist, good point about being close to the lake. I'll put that on my list of good excuses for being so hard-headed! Haven't been out that way yet. It's actually kind of exciting that there are still places left to explore! I feel like I've been freaking everywhere.

Again, everyone has been awesome. It's like talking real-time with honest real-estate agents that don't mind handing out a bit of free advice. Those people don't exist by the way.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ale View Post
GREAT info, lovesMountains! You get the MVP OF THE THREAD award. Enjoy that emboldened, italicized, capitalized, and underlined title. You've earned it! I suggest printing out this reply and framing it on a wall nearby your computer. Yesterday evening I took this little tour you put together for me. I have to say, I now see what the fuss is about. It's a nice area, and the roads you mentioned took me down the right pathways to get a much better feel. Thanks for taking the time to do that for me!

Despite this, the area still seems to be out of the price-range for a person like myself. I could afford $750-$850 a month and stay in one of the good suggestions that Sheenie2000 made, but I'm looking to save a little money and stick to a $650-$700 budget. Unfortunately, that kind of budget is too middle of the road for this area. You can either go above and live somewhere acceptable, or go below ($500-$600) and live in a place that's very likely got a little more insect life than I'm comfortable with. Plus those kind of places aren't in an area I'd call "conveniently situated".

I think for me to stay in my range, I'd have to go the route that GirlTravels suggested, and get a nice place with a roommate or two. It's too bad I literally know no one and am on a timetable that doesn't allow me the option of safely finding the right candidate.

In the end, I'm probably going to be staying off Harris, near Northlake Mall (Addison Park is too far east to my liking, topcheif1, but thanks for the suggestion!). I have a feeling that during my stint in CLT, I'll meet people and end up wishing I had lived closer to the Dilworth area. I can say with some conviction though (finally!), that I don't have a problem with this. That's not to say I won't spend time down there! I just don't buy the complaints about the commute, and I'm actually one of those people that tends to prefer keeping my hangouts a good reach away. Maybe that's not true, but that's how my life has typically been. So, I guess that's something I'm comfortable with.

Hey The Native 1, I don't come into your threads and make YOU do MATH! Haha. Bottom line is, I've got a motorcycle, and I actually enjoy riding to and from work. That's as long as it's not stop and go. I suspect that with the HOV lane I'll be just fine on heavier days.

Oh, and CherryTwist, good point about being close to the lake. I'll put that on my list of good excuses for being so hard-headed! Haven't been out that way yet. It's actually kind of exciting that there are still places left to explore! I feel like I've been freaking everywhere.

Again, everyone has been awesome. It's like talking real-time with honest real-estate agents that don't mind handing out a bit of free advice. Those people don't exist by the way.

LOL, glad to have helped , I appreciate the kudos!

With your budget constraints I agree for now you'll be better off up by North Lake Mall.

Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas!! (oh, and yes Virginia, real estate agents DO exist who don't mind handing out a bit of free advice )

Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 PM

576 posts, read 586,004 times
Check out Eastover Ridge on Randolph Rd. 1BR starting at $750. $10 cab ride to downtown (about 3 miles). Close to Southpark, Dilworth, Elizabeth

Lots of younger people.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:52 AM

69 posts, read 263,059 times
Yeah if you can get a one bedroom at Eastover Ridge for $750 I would jump on that one. There are TONS of young people there and the pool scene in the summer is like Spring Break, or so I have heard. If your going to be staying up in the WT harris BLVD area...The Worthington has some nice apartments, so does Long Creek Club and Perimeter Station (I think they are a little pricey though).

Old 12-23-2010, 07:19 AM

299 posts, read 589,980 times
I was going to suggest Eastover Ridge as well. I always thought that was THE place to be for the youn'un's among us.
Good luck, K'ale. Maybe try and get a 6 month lease where ever you decide to go so that if you aren't happy you'll have time to figure out a better solution.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:06 PM

179 posts, read 294,210 times
i like the harris/northlake area, myself... i vote for it!!

Old 12-24-2010, 07:11 AM

364 posts, read 635,459 times
I agree, it's a nice area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroux View Post
i like the harris/northlake area, myself... i vote for it!!

Old 12-24-2010, 02:03 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,868 times
Harris in that area is the proverbial train tracks. To the Wal-Mart side of Harris it is pretty rough and tough. Once you get north of 85 and To the East/North of Harris it is not a problem at all until you get again to the other side of Harris on Sunset. Highland Creek and Prosperity Church Rd are very nice areas. Also Davis Lake area is very nice along with Northlake.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 11,854 times
I don't want to sound rude, but Harris Blvd is honestly NOT the best part of Charlotte. At all. I am 24 and I am in grad school at UNCC... but I choose NOT to live near the college. Off of campus, it's honestly a dumpy part of town. When my fiance first moved to Charlotte, he had an apartment near the university, and it was a piece of crap. It was disgusting. Cars were broken into all the time, students threw up on stairways, it was always covered with trash, it was awful. Plus... the university is largely undergrads (if you're like me, you're over hanging out at frat parties with 19 year olds) and then older commuter students. There are actually a lot of adults at UNCC because it is largely a commuter school. There is a lot of crime in this part of town.

DO NOT LIVE THERE. It sucks .Seriously.

I have lived in Dilworth and Myers Park, and both have been AMAZING. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's worth it to me to be safe. And to be near awesome shopping and restaurants and lots of young people. So take the advice of pretty much everyone here and avoid Harris Blvd like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte